Kelty Courser 40 Backpack

^^^^^^ this

(spoke too soon…scrolling down reveals a helpful post full of pics…still, would be nice for Woot to be posting more detailed photos to begin with)

LOL, I have the same thoughts, already purchased the Kelty Redwing 44 and the High Peak Alpinismo 55 along with a tactical 72hrs pack for hunting. This one is tempting but, where I am going to put it? LOL

Sad… beat me to it haha hope you got a quality post for that one.

2 things i will point out:

Also, it does not have straps for your sleeping roll at the bottom…which means it has to go in your pack… which takes up more space… or go without.

So if you are just cramming stuff in for a weekend this pack is sweet (and for $50 bucks, yeah!) but otherwise, go to the store and TRY ON a Gregory or Osprey or other comparable brand. I know they (Gregory and Osprey) have a lifetime guarantee with no questions asked.

J.Trek

Also, as a general note for those getting into backpacking (if you are already in the midst of it, disregard my blah blah blah):

Try on backpacks before you buy if you can. Most reputable companies have the same “fit” across all of their lines. Find the company and size that Fits You. Then look for that company and size. Any REI store will be happy to weigh down some bags and strap you up, even if you dont buy anything.

The worst thing you can do is buy a pack that doesnt fit well and then you hate backpacking bc your investment doesnt fit.

Unless its a zombie apocalypse. Then all that kinda goes out the window, so for the price, its a great pack in case of zombie destruction.

I just bought this one yesterday.

Can anyone tell me how these compare? Acording to my calculations, the Wenzel is bigger. Any thoughts on size, quality, comfort, or features would be appreciated.

I think Woot! is just telling us to take a hike.

Quoted for truth. The 2 most important pieces of gear in backpacking are your pack and your shoes. Get to an REI or other good outfitter to get help with a pack fitting, it you possibly can. If you do buy a pack online, buy it from somewhere where you can return it. Put all the gear (& food & water) you’re planning to bring in it, experiment with different strap adjustments, and walk around for a while. Preferably, compare several packs.

Just got back from hiking the AT with a 50 L pack (I’m not an ultralighter)–this pack looks easily usable for a thru-hike, imo. I’ve seen a few Kelty packs on the trail (Osprey, Gregory, ULA, and GoLite are more popular) and it does seem to be a decent brand. Looks like it’s got plenty of comfy padding in the photos, but that yellow stay in the back looks like it could cause some chafing…?

OK, someone save me some research time & make it easy for a newb. I’ve been thinking about buying a quality bag for day use & weekend camping. Most of our camping will either be by car/camper or canoe so I don’t need the storage space that backpackers need. However, I may do a multi-day backpacking trip some time in the next two years, so I’d like to purchase a bag that would at least be suitable for my son on said trip.

With that being said, I have tried on a few bags (small gregory, north face & some keltys) & really liked the the redwing 50. The redwing is also a internal frame pack with a larger volume. Looking for a little schooling on the different pack styles & uses as well as a recommendation. Seriously wanting to pull the trigger on this pack but I’m not sure its the best option for me.

Also, this pack is available in two sizes, how do I measure for the right fit?

Just received the Shrike 32 I wooted the other day and love it. This will work perfectly for day hiking with the family this fall and biking on longer trips. I’m in for one in.

The kelty website Built for Play | The Kelty Blog has a description of how to measure.

How does it work with a hydration bladder?

Re: Hydration Bladder - you can see it has a sleeve and clips for one on the “inside” shot higher up this thread.

I’m in for one - hoping it will make a good travel/carry-on bag. Already have a couple REI packs for day hiking and backpacking.

Not having straps on the bottom is a big downside for a “backpacking” type bag - many people like to carry their mattress pad down there.

That being said, if you were wearing something in the 70L ballpark, this would probably be fine for your son. Typically the tent is your heaviest & bulkiest item. You could split it between the two packs (give him the fly & groundsheet), and he should still have room for his gear if he packs light.

this one does not have many of the important things required for backpacking. Such as internal support, straps to adjust the load distribution to the back or waist, or straps to stabilize the backpack against the waist. It is good for stuffing things and maybe going for a short hike. But any longer than that or if you load the bag up, your back will be hurting.

Nope, it’s a 40L.

Alright Woot, its high time for a KELTY woot+!!

I have the Kelty Avocet 30 from last week, and the similarities are incredible.
It looks like the basic “bag” was used from the Avocet, with several additions.
-Front pocket added.
-The top hood is taller, the Avocet’s is ~1" tall.
-Aluminum stay and padded hip belt.

I have been able to get all my lightweight gear into the Avocet, which is a full 300 cu/in smaller. However, I really dislike lugging gear, so I use a bivy sack purchased from a returning infantrymen. I do not have a very heavy sleeping bag though, the bivy is a good booster for warmth.

Out where I live and hike, water is pretty rare, and I do not see many ways to haul much of anything externally.
Any ideas how to mount anything externally on these Kelty’s? An extra set of canteens and / or a bulky sleeping bag on the exterior would be a world of improvement on these packs.

Good info, thanks. Im going to go ahead and get this one.

I haven’t got one, but looking at the pictures leads me to believe that the compression straps could be used to jury rig some additions. It appears that the compression cinchers have 3 through holes into which a split ring could be threaded. These could then be used to clip on some light weight additions.

If you want to go for some heavier gear, buy some mini-buckles like those shown here: http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/products-page/plastic-hardware/
and thread them onto the compression straps. Leave them loose, or sew them so they don’t flop around. From the pictures, it looks like there are plenty of cinch straps, if each one got a buckle added, you could probably get more gear than you can carry attached to the pack.

I’d be happy to do some more experimentation and brain storming, simply deliver a pack to me and I’ll see what I can come up with! :wink:

I wish I could push that button, but then I’d be living out of that pack.

Glen

Most bags have extra long webbing on the side compression straps, so you can use that to lash on some things - it looks like this one does also from the photos. There are a couple loops above/below the handle on the back that water bottles could clip to.

You can also have extra lash points added to the bag at some stores.