Kelty Redwing 44 Backpack

The color is surprisingly nice in real life. Didn’t think I’d like their orange packs either, but went ahead and ordered one last time the Courser was on sale (for safety and visibility for children) and my dad actually stole it from me…lol. Glad I ordered two. In short, I’ve been really pleased by the color palette on all the Kelty packs.

BAM!!!

I do think he was just stating that the color isn’t as bad as you might imagine from the pictures and that unless you have very particular needs (which, based on your oddly detailed description of visual acuity in deer, we concede that you do) this is a good pack in a good color.

I bought one last time it was offered. I’m anxious to see how it works out on my trip to Shenandoah later this month. It’s really going to be carrying stuff for my kids and some camera gear while we do some light hiking. I’ll also be stopping at REI to pick up some sort of hydration bladder for it.

I got this last time, wanted to chime in on a few of the concerns that’s been mentioned.

1. The blue color is ok. It looks worst on the woot site, but it looks like a nice blue color in real life.

2. I don’t think falling on the center support beam would do anything to your spine. There’s thick padding on either side of the support beam. I don’t see how it would cause more injury than falling on concrete or something. If you happen to be in a weird pose that would land 100% on your spine, you’re going to be hurt simply because of the way you land, not so much because of the beam.

3. Those who use it as a travel backback rather than hiking: It’s comfortable for walking around with a heavy load, so that’s nice. But it won’t hold any laptop computers. The water bladder holder is too tight. Netbook would be OK, but not a full size laptop.

EDIT: I meant to say that my 15.6" laptop does not fit in the bladder pocket of the main compartment. The bag is definitely big enough to hold any size laptop in the main compartment, but it’ll flop around a bit.

1. Other reviews have criticized the side pocket arrangement - if you have something in the zippered side pocket, it precludes using the mesh pocket as water bottle. That’s true. But the way Kelty did it gives you the flexibility to use the zippered pockets or mesh pockets. The side pockets are useful for all the little things (AC adapters blocks, camera) that don’t sit flat. The mesh pockets are adequate for water bottle, they’re not too shallow.

thanks. do you know how much bigger it is than a regular northface book bag?

One of our buyers just put a 14.5" notebook in and it fit fine, so you know. (Yes, we asked about measuring for a 17" as a followup just to be sure - but oppsie above says it does fit just fine!)

Edited in: Verified! We just got an update - “The opening stretches out to about 17.5”. We just stuck a 17.3” Notebook in the bag and it took it like a champ!”

Don’t forget golf!

Did you mean it fits in the main compartment, but not the bladder pocket?

Thanks for trying it. I should’ve clarified that by “fit”, I meant whether it fits in the bladder pocket. A 2600 cu-in bag definitely can hold any laptop in the main compartment, but the laptop tends to flop around. My laptop is a 15.6" laptop, and wouldn’t fit in the bladder pocket of the main compartment. This might matter to some people, even though it’s a hiking backpack.

I am really tempted to get this. I have a very small frame and this seems to be good for smaller folks. I like the blue. I am in need of a daypack.

One of my concerns is about the “Ventilating backpanel” & “Wicking back panel”. Can anybody who’s hiked with this pack tell me if a lot of heat builds up under the pack. I had another bag with a mesh panel that rested against the wearers back and then the main compartment could be adjusted to bow allowing airflow between the back and the pack. I loved that feature for cycling, because I built up a lot of heat biking just as I do when hiking.

Thanks for all of the input so far! :slight_smile:

I think I’m in… This seems like a good bag for a good price.

Zappos showing it here in a vid:

Other reviews:
http://www.ebags.com/product/kelty/redwing-44/212024

http://www.backcountryedge.com/kelty-redwing-44-2650.aspx#Reviews

http://www.altrec.com/kelty/redwing-44-daypack-104342?skus_all=true#reviewSummary2

http://www.campmor.com/kelty-redwing-44-internal-frame-pack.shtml?source=CI&ci_sku=90326COB&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

When you go skiing, do you worry about the sharp carbide ski pole tips jamming into parts of your body if you fall? Or your skip tips jamming into your brain if you take a tumbling fall with it? Or worry its razor sharp edges slicing your face off? A blunt piece aluminum held inside a padded compartment would be the least of my concern.

Hi everybody. I bought this backpack 3 days ago and still in “waiting for shipping” status. Is this normal?

Yes. It can take up to 5 business days for processing and shipping although it’s often quicker.

Ok, thank u for your answer