Kensington 5 Button Wireless Optical Pilot Mouse

The rubber on the side of these mice will come off after a couple months, depending on how you grip it. Thats true of ANY of the Kensington mice of this style. The glue isnt very good, and the rubber distorts, so you cant even glue it back on yourself (I had the wired, very close in design to this model)

Rather cheap. Any wireless isnt a good gamer mouse anyways, and thats what I need from now on

well lucky they have a 5 year warranty.

Not to put fault on Yankees368, but that froogle link for $16.00 is from the UK, so you would need to convert it to dollers.

Do you guys ever bother to click through your own links? Your $16 price is actually 16 british pounds, not dollars. I realize you think you’re providing a service, but giving bad information doesn’t do anyone any good.

Check out hte reviews on Amazon. Apparently it goes to sleep. You have to click to wake it, but that click goes through, meaning if it goes to sleep when the pointer is over something you _don’t _ want to click…

too bad.

That sounds like a deal killer to me. They also complain about battery life (and not rechargeables)

Haven’t checked in w/Woot for a while - what happened to the podcast?

I’m thinking about getting this… I’m not a gamer and just want to move between windows on my laptop without using the damn eraser head pointer, don’t want cables flopping around, etc. I hate gadgets with built-in rechargeable batteries especially lithium. I use AA NiMH in everything I can, have a ton of them, just pop them out to charge them, I have a charger on the corner of my desk plugged in all the time. Lemme know if this mouse sounds reasonable under those conditions… tnx

Sorry for the mis-information, but that is googles fault. The price is listed with a $ sign, not a pound sign. I usually dig deeper into my links, but not tonight. Sorry

I’d take a pass on this one if I were you wooters.

I had this mouse (or at least a sibling unit) about a year ago. It started out great, but after about a month the connection became really flaky, even when the receptor was about two inches in front of my mouse pad, and the side buttons were easy to mis-press. Didn’t feel good in the hand, either.

I much prefer my MX1000.

I have the corded version of this mouse. Gave it up well before it fully depreciated because the driver would occasionally go bezerk at the wrong time (ie in the middle of a round of Battlefield 2) and do bizzare things like full-throttle positive-Y input or lock the third button. The “4-way scrolling” was a stupid trick that used the third button to toggle axes for the scroll wheel - I found I was better off leaving the third button for 2D scroll using the pointer itself.

I found it annoying that my previous Logitech (which this mouse was to replace) with an identical button configuration required no drivers for all the buttons/functions to work yet this one needed Kensington’s goofy driver.

Mind you, I’m a luddite still running Windows 2000.

Probably worth the price if the driver has improved/is different from the corded version/you run something other than Windows 2000.

16 pounds. not dollars. great woot

This is a generic message for anybody with an optical mouse. Mine started acting crazy. The cursor would work fine for a while then “bounce” when I stopped moving it.
The fix was simple once I found it. Tiny little hairs from my dog or my beard were getting caught in mouse and would quiver a bit when I stopped moving it. My new wireless MSFT laser mouse has a similar problem and I jusrt blow in the whole to stop it. Incidently the batterys in both the keyboard and mouse have lasted for months and are used many hours a day.

Ergonomically-designed shape that provides the ultimate comfort for right-handed users, with rubber fin grips…

When they gonna start making "ergonomically-designed " mouses for us lefties?

g’night!

This is not going to be equal to a MX1000, or a G7, or anything fancy like that. That’s like offering a Honda and saying “Well, this sucks, I prefer my Benz.” It’s just a thirteen dollar mouse. :slight_smile:

As for me, I have no use for it since I already have a few mice for my laptop and I rarely use them unless I’m doing precision work anyway. However, I think I will get one for my parents; they are still using a wireless trackball mouse, and I can’t stand using it.

If I just ordered one, how do I un-order it?

Like most big sites, Woot likely stores times in GMT (Greenwich Mean Time), by which everyone sets their clocks, and does not have anything like DST.

For instance, Eastern Time is -5:00 from GMT (during DST, I believe). Times are then processed to a local time when displayed or stored in a local time as well, depending on developer preference. More likely than not, the times are processed to the offset that the Woot server(s) is.

I bought the Kensington mouse on the woot off… my comparison this doesn’t seem that cool… esp since the one I have, can be converted from portable mouse to a desktop mouse :slight_smile:

Personally I would recommend a cheap-o mini mouse with a retractable USB cord. I have this Dynex mini optical (store brand) from Best Buy. Works well. Eventually I am sure the cord will fail or I will lose or break the mouse, but hey, it’s only 10 bucks. It’s already lasted me nearly a year so I figure if it fails I have already gotten my money’s worth. Perfect for what I need it for.

Heads up for everyone asking about gaming mice… I know some people are going to say I am off my rocker for suggesting this, but I am an avid gamer and I would recommend nothing less than a high-DPI, wired, BALL mouse. With optical mice you always have the occasional problem of the sensor mis-reading the surface, causing the cursor to shoot straight up and spin like mad.

I currently use (and have for the past seven years) a Razer Boomslang 2000. Wired, ball mouse, with 2000 DPI. No batteries to worry with, no wireless lag, and no crazy optical sensor faults. I do have to clean the ball every now and then, but it’s well worth it. OCDepot on eBay regularly sells these in new-old-stock condition. I just replaced my seven year old Boomslang (USB cable was starting to short out) with a new one from these guys and could not be happier. Here’s a link to one that’s currently up for sale.

my i feel like a loser because i’m still using the mouse my desktop came with (actually the desktop is bordering on 6 years old and i’ve changed maybe two things on it). Granted i don’t game, and i just needed it to not crash while running Matlab.