Kensington Wi-Fi Finder 2 Pack

I had one of these things about 2 years ago and used it abroad to find signals. This is a very good price for this, since I remember paying about $15 for one back in the day.

My only qualm is that nowadays with so many signals, it would be nice to see whether it’s 80211 a/b or g and this won’t tell you. What is nice is that it shows you if it has encryption.

This thing also doesn’t fit very well on a keychain despite it’s appearance. It’s about the size of a deck of cards and feels a little flimsy. However, if you’re looking for a wi-finder on the cheap–this is a good solution.

at least its not a refurb, though i doubt these things work well.

This is my lucky 13th woot! Now I just need to add a light that lets me know if the dumbass left their wireless network open or not. . .

Two for Too Stupid to know better than to buy these peices of … If you are war driving you hopefully have a laptop or palm/ppc that has a much stronger antennea than a keychain… And wow two? does that mean twice the range and power… LOL

CNET editors’ review
Editors’ rating
Average 5.6 out of 10
Reviewed by: Jim Aspinwall
Review date: 10/1/03
Release date: 7/1/03
Average user rating : 3.9

The good: Small; simple to use; built-in keychain loop.

The bad: Unreliable; won’t detect 802.11g; limited range; mistakes Bluetooth for Wi-Fi.

The bottom line: Kensington’s WiFi Finder is unreliable at its main job: checking for hot spots.

I got it, battery seems to last forever. the little loop for a keychain seems flimsy. remember that it doesn’t distinguish between secured or uinsecured. then again, most people got “linksys” on default settings. Not that you are treaspassing on other peoples wifi! :slight_smile:

this will come in handy. i am a paid war-driver.

This ain’t a PC card…it’s a network finder.

Gadgeteer Review…not so good

http://www.pricegrabber.com/rating_getprodrev.php/product_id=923065/

not well liked.

also, what good is finding an encrypted network?

I’m in for a pair… just so we can get to the next item in the woot-off! What’s that? There’s not a woot-off tonight??? Oh crap, anyone wanna buy a wi-fi finder? LOL

These used to be useful, but everybody uses WEP or WPA these days…you should see the way that linksys packages their WiFi products now (the ports are covered by a sticker that tells you to insert a cd and complete the security setup first).

If it could detect an unencrypted signal, well, wow. But even at $10 for 2 of these, it’s not for me.

In for 2 pair as gifts for friends. Hey, they are cheap and they do work… what more can you honestly ask for???

Yeah, but can they help me record a video of my skateboarding tricks?

Not really useful for me
but maybe the casing could be used to house something cool - like a DIY garage door opener or something?

Read the reviews…this thing will not pick up wireless signal even if you stand right beside a wireless router. Pathetic. Peace

Really, your Asian friend knows everything about technology? Does your American friend wear cowboy boots while your Italian friend hits on loose Russian women?

Why you gots to point out that your friend is Asian?

wonder if it’d be possible to hook one of these up to a cantenna to do directional searches of greater distances?

so, I live out in the boonies, this is absolutely useless when the nearest neighbor is over a mile away, and the nearest wifi enabled business is 45 miles away… going to bed now :-/