$39.99 + $7.00 shipping
CONDITION: White
PRODUCT: 3 Kent Rasmussen Esoterica 2010 Sauvignon Blanc
CT link above

Winery website

Facebook
Twitter
Yelp

And here I just this very night told two separate people that there was NO way wine.woot would put yet another white up in the next few days. Don’t regret being the second sucker!

This looks very interesting. I am a big fan of Kent’s Roussanne and am really looking forward to trying his rose. However, I cannot quite picture Sauvignon Blanc together with the round mouthfeel and elegance that I loved in Roussanne Esoterica. I guess I’m torn… help? :slight_smile:

Kent Rasmussen and my favorite white varietal?

Yes please, in for 2.

Hi all of you wine.wooters. This is Kent.

So, today we are offering the 3rd (and final) offering of Esoterica whitish wines, my 2010 Sauvignon Blanc. I am writing now as I will only have a couple of minutes in the morning to respond to questions before I get on a plane for a trip with my son to the “rust belt”….a fine way to spend a vacation….Detroit, Flint, Cleveland, Toledo and Pittsburgh. It will finally give me a chance to see who all those people I am constantly voting against really are……but that isn’t point of this note.

This SB was an experiment for me. Celia and I spent three weeks in New Zealand last year and did a lot of wine tasting. I loved the Pinots on the South Island, but even more, I thought that what they were doing with Sauvignon Blanc in the North was fabulous. Some of you may remember, back in the late 80’s and early 90s I made a huge name for myself with Sauvignon Blanc……a rich barrel fermented full-of-cat-pea SB that was completely over the top. Huge ratings, lots of puffs, and so on. By the mid-90s we were still getting the scores, but nobody was buying the wine……and, with some sadness, I quit making it. That said, my tastes changed too and while that style still held a tiny bit of water for me with Chardonnay, I found that the SBs I really enjoyed were far more austere, flinty and mineraly….not butterbombs. In New Zealand last year I thought…." I wonder if I could make this kind of wine with California SB?" With this wine, I gave it a try.

So, what I did….I approached a SB grower that I know and asked him if I could differentially pick his vineyard for the LEAST RIPE grapes……he thought I was crazy, but was more than happy to comply. The clone that he grows is the Sauvignon Musque clone that has the tiniest bit of Muscat character (a compound called Linolool (great Scrabble word by the by). We night harvest these grapes and brought them into the winery absolute ice cold. Immediately we whole-cluster pressed them and the juice went to tank very cold. Fermentation was at 51 degrees (just high enough to keep the yeast alive). The fermentation took about 6 weeks. As soon as fermentation was over I racked the wine and a few weeks later bottled it. The result was fantastic….it was exactly what I had wanted……huge bright fruit, tight clean acidity, wonderful clarity of SB character……a total success.

All the above said……if you want the perfect clean, crisp, refreshing, fruity, steely and absolutely beautiful SB….buy this wine. If you want Chardonnay……don’t buy this wine.

As I always say….I hope that you enjoy it, but this time….I think you probably will….and I still don’t understand why the bottles are up-side-down!!!

All the best, Kent

SB shouldn’t have that same mouthfeel or flavor profile or taste or smell as Roussanne. Totally different varietal from a totally different originating region (Bordeaux vs. Rhone). You won’t find the same characteristics because you shouldn’t.

Good enough for me, dude. SB is my all time favorite white, and if you feel you shot for the southern hemisphere good stuff and hit the target, I’m gonna press the button.

Are we talking $47 bones for cat pee or over the top tropical fruit goodness?

I hope we see some of your Pinot make an appearance here this year :wink:

Also what’s the drinking window on your Sauvignon Blanc?

Kent,

You are a very good salesman, plus I have a special place in my home for Rasmussen wines! My very first lab rat experience was a bottle of Kent Rasmussen Pinot, and my subsequent order contains a bottle you signed which I have displayed in the cellar.

When I choose white, my go-to is Sauvignon Blanc, and your description sounds right up my alley. In for 3! Cheers!

Did anyone else just start to receive these wine.woot daily digests again, out of the blue? This is costing me a fortune.

Kent Rasmussen Esoterica 2010 Sauvignon Blanc - 3 Pack

Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: mill
Speed to first woot: 1m 19.167s
Last wooter to woot: crabpuff

Hi Kent,

If you are going to be in the Cleveland area August 5th-6th, I hope you get a chance to check out the Vintage Ohio wine festival at Lake Farmpark in Kirtland.

25 local wineries will be participating this year. I’d love to hear your take on Ohio wines sometime in the future!

Vintage Ohio website

EDIT: Last wooter to woot: chipgreen :slight_smile:

Dangit!!! This comes up a few days before we leave town for three weeks. Otherwise I’d be in.

Couldn’t resist. In for 3!

Kent Rasmussen Esoterica 2010 Sauvignon Blanc - 3 Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: mill
Speed to first woot: 1m 19.167s
Last wooter to woot: mikop168

Do you want him to revoke his Ohio license? Don’t encourage him to taste our swill. Really, I am only semi serious. I haven’t tried all, but the Ohio wines I have had have been atrocious. I enjoy dry reds first and foremost, so if you have any to recommend that are decent, I am all ears. Otherwise, I just group it all into the “Oh, you like alcohol called wine? Here, try this” category.

In for three. I’m going to need another wine fridge.

So once again I quickly hit the buy button without looking to see if it could ship to Vermont. Of course I did this because I just received an Esoterica shipment of Roussanne less than a month ago. Is it possible that Vermont has been left off the list by mistake? Please? I want this!

Well, since the wife has been bugging me for some woot Whites, and words like steely and flinty seem to guarantee none of the oakiness she dislikes, I’m in!

You convinced me! In for one!

Waited and missed the last one, not this time,
in 4 2. Last Wooter To Woot: rjquillin