Kershaw Compound Folding Knife

I bought two. Both work fine. Perhaps a qualifying statement regarding what you were doing with the knives when they broke? I can say my Mazda broke…but when I add “when the cement mixer truck ran into it” it puts it in a different light. One might think the knife sucks from your statement. If you say you were using it to hammer in nails, it puts the actual quality into a better light.

Here’s a little video review for anybody curious. Shows the speedsafe opening several times.
[youtube=LsFJ5byX2f4][/youtube]

I don’t know why so many people are complaining about the clip on this knife and/or calling it no good for edc. I got this on a previous woot it is my edc and I prefer the smaller clip. Buy it you will like it.

You need to educate yourself. New York DOES restrict the shipping of some TYPES of knives. Do a f;(&ing google search on the subject. I found the statute in .002 seconds.
I LOVE these “experts”. Ex spurt more like it.

I had also bought one of each on the same day. No such restrictions then.

NYC Restricts non-fixed blade knives to a length of 4". My ZIP code is NOT IN NYC!

Upsetting. They lost out on my $$ and I lost out on a deal.

Would greatly appreciate Woot’s stance on WHY they cannot sell me a knife that was sold to me several months ago. If the laws have changes - POST THEM - we can stop complaining that you are too strict. If the laws haven’t changed then ONLY RESTRICT THOSE WHO IT APPLIES TO!

You are correct “New York DOES restrict the shipping of some TYPES of knives”, but please tell us when was the law changed between 05/14/2012 and today as it was fine on 05/14/2012 in Woot’s eyes to ship this exact item to us? Did they “break the law” on 05/14/2012 or did they just change their policies? Do tell…

I picked up the Asset model they sold with this knife last time it was up.

It works really well, blade is sharp and the speedsafe system works great.

My only complaint is that the “Stainless” blade is showing some brown spots (I’m guessing the summer humidity in a house with no AC did it). Blade is still sharp though and it has come in handy several times in just basic household use.

I love knives and this is about one of the most useful knives i’ve owned. razor sharp and if you don’t know about speedsafe i can tell you it is like clutchless or tiptronic shifting on a car. this is unbelieveably under priced even at $30. also this knife is huge. you won’t be disapointed.

I can’t say for sure, but I bought the “Kershaw Compound 1940 Folding Knife” from Woot, which is the non-serrated version. Mine says “China” at the base of the blade.

I bought 3 of the compound and the asset when Woot last offered them.
The compound has a slightly rounder point then the asset as well as a longer blade. I have been carrying it since it arrived and found it to be a solid utility carry knife. I open boxes, mail, etc. and the blade is still as sharp as the day it arrived. Will it stand up to hard use only time will tell, but I can say that in the $10-30 price range it has stood up better than anything I have seen.

It’s hard to beat for the price. I wish it didn’t have the serrations. I picked one up last go around and keep it in my backpack for opening boxes and such.

BTW Amazon would gladly ship us this knife, for more $ of course.
We stopped ordering from any company that paints NY with a wide brush on this. Woot, hope you reconsider you stand and free us from the Mayor Bloomberg’s bias, cuz he not Our Mayor.
Otherwise We just shut this account down.

Bought one the last time around to keep in my back pocket at work.

Steel shows rust spots all over the blade; don’t know if this is mfg. defect, conditions at work (welding/grinding), or just subjected to mass amounts of swamp ass through the day.

Either way, it’s a $10 knife, cuts everything including my thumb with surgical precision.

New York (State) law on the subject is ambiguous, and you’ll see that the state is being sued in federal court over their ambiguous description of ‘gravity knife’, which is the category of knife that you could be prosecuted for owning if you have one of these.

Yes, it’s mostly NYC law enforcement that’s pursuing these cases, but they’re using a state law. The law is vague enough that I imagine a company like Woot wants nothing to do with this situation.

Write your assemblyperson, they are completely responsible for this, not Woot.

Wow, no more shopping at Woot for me for a while. Upstate NY is not NYC! Idiots…

Thanks for another nice deal Woot! These make great gifts.

:slight_smile:

…typical response from someone who PLAYS with knives and/or has a knife fetish…

serrations cut/rip fast; a trait that is greatly preferred when working in the field professionally and personally.

Thanks for your courteous reply.

From the NYS Law:

"5. "Gravity knife" means any knife which has a blade which is released from the handle or sheath thereof  by  the  force  of gravity  or  the application  of  centrifugal  force  which,  when released, is locked in place by means of a button, spring, lever or other device".

I am surely not an attorney but in reading that statute, this knife clearly does not fall into that classification.

It sure would be nice to hear the answer from Woot.

Why wont you ship this knife to NYS when they are legal to sell and own here. I can buy Kershaw knives like this at every Walmart in the state.

This knife is illegal in NEW YORK CITY not NEW YORK STATE.

why would anybody who enjoys their freedom want to live in new york, or kalifornia? btw one of my favorite knives is a kershaw skyline…