kid books

Caiters, I think we were made for each other… Couldn’t get enough of Cloudy. Another favorite was Alexander and the Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day.

Oh yeah, I remember that one! I also remember there being an animated short about it, maybe shown on Nickelodeon back in the day? He kind of reminds me of me now, things just piling up hehe.

Both my kids had fits when Nick stole their favorite books! It seems Nick was a few years behind them. It was always a fovorite book that was made into a cartoon a year or two after they out grew it.
Aurther, the Rosemary Wells books…and Alexander!
Well, if I remember correctly, at least the Alexander and the Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day was well done. Maybe the residuals from that is how he Use To Be Rich Last Sunday.

I remember Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs…son must have read that one himself…I just remember the cover.

She must have done that after my kids were too old. Gotta look for that with the next baby!
That sounds like you could almost listen to it in the car.
edit
O M G , I just checked the link and watched the you tube of her newest album! That is wonderful!
Some of the 50’s stuff is old for me because my parents didn’t listen to it. I only heard it when the teenagers were outside playing it at night. I got a radio in 1962, I’m good from then on.
I need a little kid to buy this stuff for!
Do you think my 20 and 24 year old would like it for Christmas…

Berenstein bears, anything by Richard Scary in the children’s section, and lets see there is a great one called Cully Cully and the Bear (or something like that). Those are all the ones I enjoyed as a kid. Don’t forget curious george, he’s a classic good kids book.

edit: I think these would be more geared to the younger of the two. For the first grade child you should get those about the mouse and his motorcycle(or other such vehicles). I just found they are by Beverly Cleary, good books that are just plain fun.

Not to hijack the thread, but this is a fun mashup that includes some footage from Alexander as well as other kids shows with the song Crank that Soulja Boy. It is loud, so you probably want to watch this one at home:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMHUR53Z9rs

Three cousin’s detective series, and Sugar Creek Gang are both clean, fun chapter book series to read aloud or to self. Where the Wild Things Are. The Young Medal Reader Awards are great place to look. These books are selected by a group but then voted on by children. Usually they are wonderful books. They also have different age categories for early elementary, upper elementary and middle school.

http://californiayoungreadermedal.org/winners.htm
this page lists previous winners and the nominees which are great books in their own right. I love reading these books to my second graders and my son, 13, loves reading all the books.

My personal favorite is Junie B. Jones and the Yucky Blucky Fruitcake (click for summary and excerpt) My older kids and I still quote that one and laugh out loud: “This is the most delicious thing I ever ate. Except for it doesn’t actually taste that good.”

I was just looking at the Junie B. books on the shelf here and found them right next to Sandra Boynton’s Philadelphia Chickens. That’s an interesting coincidence.

My favorite Christmas book is Mr. Willoughby’s Christmas Tree.

Maybe a gift card to Borders or B&N with the stipulation that you go with them once a week or so until the card is used up.
An adventure, you won’t know what you’ll wind up with.
I’ve seldom liked getting books that other people bought unless I’ve already said I wanted them.

Sandra Boynton’s books are really very good. Her Going to Bed Book is just great- not Goodnight Moon, but nothing really compares.

The Captain Underpants books are good for that age, I think. more for boys.

Also, Henry and Mudge- there are a lot of them. very good.

My friend flicka
Ramona series

try this

When I read this the other day, I couldn’t think of anything. Now I remember… Eric Carle books are big with the 3-8 set. “The Hungry, Hungry Caterpillar” and “Brown Bear, Brown Bear” are 2 I can remember at the moment. If the 13 year old boy is into Anime, then point him to the Manga section at the bookstore. Find out which series he likes and then you can get him books from those series. A lot of the series go on forever! The manga usually have age ratings on them. The ones rated for older teens usually have b.l. & b. (bad language and boobies) scattered throughout the book.

I just remembered a little series of fun books.

Mr. Putter and Tabby do various things in each book. They are good fun. Author is Cynthia Rylant.

One example is Mr. Putter and Tabby Bake the Cake.

where the wild things are

This is one of my favoite series. Also by Cynthia Rylant, author of Henry and Mudge books. She is a prolific author.

I am forced to mention…
A wrinkle in time is a part of a series that is totally addictive…and gets a little biblical at times, though not as much as the chronicles of narnia. If any of these little people like to be read to… these are both awesome series.
a wrinkle in time, a wind in the door, a swiftly tilting planet, and many waters… i think there are two more there.
(not listing all 7 narnia books)
for the older kids mentioned a hard to find but super series is the dark is rising sequence (also gets pretty biblical in references) by susan cooper
good reads or read-tos for the 13 on down also include…
the artemus fowl series by eoin colfer
ANYTHING by james herriot
cant forget harry potter i suppose, and i hear tolkien wrote some good stuff
c.s. lewis has another series thats for a little older crowd that narnia, space trilogy books include; out of the silent planet, perelandra, that hideous strength (obvious biblical references)
the xanth collection by piers anthony
for that matter the apprentice adept series by piers anthony isnt too bad either
if they are mature 12 and 13 year olds i suppose the hitchhiker trilogy is a must, but i digress…
a.a. milne is the author of the REAL pooh stories
beatrix potter wrote peter rabbit and many more.
jack london for the big kids
theodor geisel for the little kids
just kidding, it’s late i’m done

I posted this in the wrong thread, earlier so I’m re-doing it.
For the little kids:
Anything illustrated by Paul Galdone. I love his Three Billy Goats Gruff and the Magic Porridge Pot. He illustrated a bunch of really, really good stuff.
I also love anything Brian Wildsmith illustrated.
Last, David Kirk’s Miss Spider series is just fabulous.
There are so many really wonderful easy books that it is hard to narrow it down to a few.

Thanks Peppersagooddog and Joyner. I’m compiling a list for future years. I won’t have to ask this again.