Kid going to College - What do I buy

clothes hangers, extension cords, surge suppressors, extra phone cords, battery pack for phone, laundry hamper/basket/pods, fridge, microwave, paper plates, plastic utensils, shower caddy, shower shoes, etc

1 Like

my son got packages from amazon. the mail room would email them when a package arrived.

1 Like

Lessons - does she know how to do own laundry, make bed, set an alarm clock, fill out forms, read a map, know when she has had enough to drink, make list of what she needs to take to school?

Balance her checking account, use and pay credit card account?

2 Likes

New locks for your house

13 Likes

Be selfish- they can get you a student discount on your Amazon prime membership!

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Student/b?ie=UTF8&node=668781011

2 Likes

Awwwwww did your parents hurt you?

1 Like

Big Brother Lol GIF by MOODMAN

1 Like

@mbspell that makes a lot of sense - I hope that is the case

1 Like

Ooooh, be sure to check the new stuff just added today. Twin XL sheets and mattress covers (which is the bed size most dorms have)… along with shower curtains etc.

1 Like

Don’t forget things like basic cleaning supplies, TP, laundry detergent…

Private room or with roommates?

Especially if roommates, consider the limited storage space. Maybe smaller sizes of products, or even repackage into quantities that are just enough until the next visit home. Like a count of those laundry pods in a small container vs a whole big box or jug. Just current season clothes, and leave the later seasonal things for the same reason.

1 Like

don’t forget: motrin, tape, scissors, cold medicine, pepto bismol, allergy meds, etc.

I always sent more than current season of clothes. you never know when a cold/warm snap will hit. you want to have that coat or a couple pairs of shorts if needed.

and I always sent extra toothpaste, deodorant, soap, shampoo, etc. don’t take up much space and better to have if they need it. I got some of those collapsable fabric crates to put in the bottom/top of the closet or under the bed. can help organize stuff.

like these

2 Likes

back in the 18th century, we used to able to buy sundries by ourselves w/o parental intervention. presumedly you haven’t allowed the kid to enroll in l’universidad d’olympus mons.

3 Likes

a brane
a hart
a currage
a balloon ride home.

3 Likes

so send them off with a backpack and well wishes?

1 Like

access to $
stuff that’s hard to find or too big to carry in a backpack

1 Like

my kids didn’t drive or have cars at school. so I sent the basics and then some.

1 Like

when i went to college (not that i admit attending college) there was a drugstore in easy walking distance and a supermarket a mile away (but uphill both ways in a snowstorm)

3 Likes

i guess schoolin’ was easier back then. the calculus hadn’t been invented yet and there was no american history.

3 Likes

There was calculus at the U of Oregon in 1958. You must be REALLY old?

3 Likes