Kindle Paperwhite (1st Gen) 6" E-Readers

Kindle Paperwhite (1st Gen) 6" E-Readers

Why are the ā€˜Used - Very Goodā€™ cheaper than the ā€˜Used - Goodā€™ models?

1 Like

Every Kindle Iā€™ve gotten from Woot, regardless of model, looked good and worked fine. These are not for gaming, they are for reading.

Sure, the older ones donā€™t navigate pages as fast, but most people are not that caffeinated to care much.

I used Calibre when I wish to get a book from non-AMZ sources or older books I have in the epub format that it converts.

I was reading on Fires and other tablets, but I went back to Kindles.

3 Likes

Unless Iā€™m missing something, Iā€™m not seeing this.

1 Like

This is the third time Iā€™m trying to buy a Kindle Paperwhite from Woot! Hopefully the third time is a charm.

The first time they sent me a different/older Kindle device.

The second time they sent me a Paperwhite that could not be activated because Amazon had it marked as lost/stolen in their database.

3 Likes

Donā€™t buy ā€œrefurbishedā€ kindle devices. ā€œrefurbishedā€ doesnā€™t include new batteries (Kindle batteries are not replaceable by normal humans) so the thing will quit permanently very soon. If you are foolish enough to attempt a replacement, you will discover that they cost a significant portion of a new device and are of very poor quality anyway. I went through 3 before these facts penetrated my skull. That said, as an engineer, I believe the original KIndles are one of the finest electronic products ever developed ā€¦ just buy new.

2 Likes

It is difficult to change the battery pack. You would need to be a little bit handy and a lot adventurous.

I recently replaced a battery on my 2012 Kindle. The battery was a little over $15 and I bought some pry tools to help remove the back of the Kindle and pry out the old battery for about $11.

The battery pack sits in a metal tray behind the screen. The was a lot of glue from the factory holding the battery in the tray and lots more glue on top of the battery holding the back of the Kindle. It was obvious that they put lots of glue in to frustrate attempts to do this yourself. The battery is an aluminum pack which I had to nearly destroy to remove.

It might be possible to use some solvents to assist in defeating the glue, but I didnā€™t try that.

The battery manufacturers have YouTube videos showing how easy it is to do. If felt like mine was harder to change than any of the videos I watched. I imagine you could get good changing batteries after a couple of times.

That said, I would do it again. In fact, Iā€™m thinking of changing the battery on my Kindle Keyboard only to keep it running forever for the fun of it.

2 Likes