Kindle Touch Wireless Reading Device

Thanks so much! Very much appreciate your quick response. Looks like I’m in for two …

If you like to read in bed, this is a GREAT choice. Although it doesn’t have a light of its own, you can easily clip on a book light. I have a Kindle Keyboard in a leather case, and the book light still fits with no problem. The stack of books next to my bed has been replaced by one thin reader with hundreds of choices. Incidentally, the Keyboard model also has internet/email access; the interface is clumsy, but it works.

This is not a good enough deal over just getting the new kindle.

If you do purchase this woot and you are lucky, you might receive my kindle touch I recently traded in. They had the paperwhite on sale a month or so ago and on a whim I decided to upgrade from the touch. I pulled the trigger due the sale plus my discovery I could trade my touch in for up to about 20 bucks, and since that sort of reduced the overall cost of the purchase for me I did it. My touch was in perfect condition as I had it in a leather case the entire time I owned it, other than a slight dark smudge/stain that the case had left on the back of the touch.

They gave me a whole $1.95 for it. And now are selling it to you for $55.

I’ve owned one for a couple of years - the best electronic device you can buy,

Does this unit have a slot for some kind of storage card, i.e., Micro SD, SD?

If not, can I transfer ePubs that I have in a folder into it easily without a lot of Amazon problems?

I can’t comment on this model but a month ago I bought the second generation Kindle Paperwhite. It’s fantastic! I read in bed at night and it’s backlighting works great. I love it. You can borrow free books from your Library “Overdrive” program.

Since I’ve owned both I’ll make the comparison. Beyond the obvious difference of the backlight (which is excellent) the main difference that will affect your experience is that the touch screen is more responsive. I liked the Touch, but was frustrated at times that I would have to touch it several times to get the page to turn. Not nearly as noticable with the Paperwhite.

Other improvements: The screen refresh/page turns are quicker. Also if you look at them side by side the text is a little crisper, but it is nothing you’d notice on its own.

Quite torn with regards to what recommendation to make. Overall I’d say if the backlight is not important to you, the upgrade to the Paperwhite isn’t worth it. I say that, but then I am significantly happier with the performance of the Paperwhite, so as usual it just depends on how big of a deal the extra 50 bucks is to you.

I don’t have this model. I have a keyboard model. My wife has the keyboard and a backlit model. Adding, managing, converting books is easy with Calibre, a free program. My Kindles prefer “mobi” format, so I just use Calibre to covert epub or other formats to mobi and then send to the Kindle.

Any thoughts on the protection plan? I just decide to get one of the kindles and they offer a one year protection plan for 11 bucks. I know this comes with one year warranty(according to description)but protection plan also protect against drops and spills. Worth it? or no…

I love my kindle touch! The ads are not intrusive at all, though I do kinda miss that hideous Emily Dickinson portrait. A wooter in a previous offer suggested a lovely piece of donationware called calibre http://calibre-ebook.com/. With it, you can convert and read virtually any ebook on kindle (or any other e-reader). Greatly expands your choices!

Does this version allow you to use the Kindle Owner’s Lending Library if you have Prime? I’ve read some of the older Kindles aren’t compatible.

I’m considering getting one specifically for this reason as well, as I have Amazon Prime but I only own Nook e-readers.

That said, according to the Features tab on the sale’s page, it does support the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library:

I’ve every Kindle model, as I wrote guides for each of the e-ink models. Touch has 3gig free for books; audio for TTS, audiobooks, & mp3s (use for background music or mp3 audiobooks you can find on the web). Fine in bright light, needs a lamp in the dark. Can lend or borrow prime books, or public library books. You must have wifi-this isnt the Touch 3g model; which-unlike the Kindle Keyboard, all Touch and later models can’t browse web freely (email, facebook, etc) worldwide using AT&T. You can only reach amazon sub-sites and wiki using 3g with wifi off…The 2 paperwhite models have a backlit screen, but no sound at all. So this one is better for in your car, but not your bedroom reading.

I don’t have much to add as regards the Kindle Touch that hasn’t been said already. No, it isn’t backlit (I lost my book light so for now, I just lay a flashlight on my shoulder when I read before bed). It is a little slow but doesn’t really matter for reading. The only place I really notice it is when I type in my password to unlock. You have to leave a beat in between each number. As has been said, the ads are super easy to ignore.

I haven’t seen anything said about the sites that keep track of free Amazon books like http://onehundredfreebooks.com. Another good one that does lending between members is http://booklending.com. Many of the free ones are self published so some are better than others. There are some gems to be found though.

I say jump on this and grab a decent case and you’ll be happy as can be!

You can plug a Kindle into your computer and just drag-and-drop like any flash drive, which is nice. However, it doesn’t support ePubs – you need to use something like calibre to convert it into a mobi. (And to be clear, this is free, legal (as long as you own a non-DRMed ePub), and totally straightforward. You don’t lose anything in the conversion.)

My first eink reader was the nook simple touch because it had a microSD slot and ability to read epubs. After a while I picked up 2 of these kindles on a steal refurbed from BestBuy. I actually like the kindle better mainly because the touch screen is more sensitive making the page turns easier than on the nook. Also if you’re gonna be buying books amazon will be the way to go as the nook is losing support from B&N. And if you’re big into using “free” epubs from the internets you’re probably already using calibre so just convert them to a mobi and you can put them on the kindle. The backlight isnt an issue for me as I just use one of those super cheap clip on lights for night reading. And as others have stated the “with offers” advertising is a non issue. Your using it to read books, not admire your fancy screensaver. I havent touched my nook since purchasing one of these. I highly recommend them if you’re not ready to spend twice the price for a paperwhite.

That gold button is throbbing. Time to make a decision. :slight_smile:

Same amount of memory as a kindle keyboard and this model has text to speech. I found it invaluable to be able to read text books and hear them aloud at the same time when I was in school. It really made learning really dry passages much easier.

I was given a Kindle with ads and gave it back. I decide when something is so tacky it is a deal breaker for me. I won’t put a pizza ad on the side of my car to get a pizza for less money and I won’t advertise products for Amazon when waiting for my plane to board, etc. just to save a few bucks. I have two Nooks (one for the road and one for home use) and no ads.

Once you own the kindle, you can go to amazon and pay the difference to get rid of the ads. I forget exactly how much but something around $30. Not a huge amount. Worth it to me.
Plus this way, you can see if the ads annoy you or not - if you don’t mind them, then you’ve saved some money. If they grate on you, you can easily switch to the non-ad-supported account.