Kingston 4GB USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Data Traveler

I would be all over this if I hadn’t just purchased a REGULAR (not Hi-Speed) Kingston 4GB DataTraveler 100 @ buy.com a few days ago for $12.

Anyone know if this will work with an xbox with xbmc? I’m looking for a cheap 4gb usb that is compatible so I can stop burning cd/dvds for him. As far as I know it needs to be FAT16/32 but I know there are other details because not all my usb drives work.

seriously? I just bought a 4 gb Kingston from you, and it just got shipped to me two days ago, and you are already selling one for cheaper? ::anger::

Hi-Speed on this model is a JOKE. If you check Kingston’s site, ONLY models with a ‘400’ or higher model number are actually high speed units. All the Model 100 (1xx) units are ‘normal’ speed.

Since Kingston uses various ‘chip’ suppliers, it is possible that a production run might end up with high speed chips - but you won’t know this until you buy and test. IF your lucky - enjoy.

a.

As per article @ cybernetnews.com, ANY external unit (USB, SD, CF, etc.) can BE MADE to be “ready boost compatible”. BUT - Kingston doesn’t market these units as ‘ready boost’ units.

If ‘RB’ is your need/purpose, then check a certain vendor (with a LARGE red “R”) which is hustling an 8GB 'ready boost" usb drive. Can’t miss it, it’s on ALL their pages.

a.

Googling around it looks like some sites report 6MB/s read and 3MB/s write (RIDICULOUSLY SLOW)

One such site: http://www.9final.com/computer/kingston-usb-flash-drive-dt110r-4-gb-usb20-4gb-read-6mbs-write-3-mbs-red-colour-p-8839.html

NOPE!

NONE of the Kingston units hustled on Woot have been MADE (or marketed) for ‘RB’ use.

a.

No, these aren’t ReadyBoost compatible (nor were the ones sold on the 2-fer last week.)
See this page at amazon for specs on the model being sold for this woot, where it’s clear no readyboost.

apparently it can be formatted for ready boost?

http://sellout.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=2647855

$12 delivered for 4 GB not not ready boost or $20 for 8 GB ready boost certified at TV Dump aka Radio Shack

In for two … $10.27 each with shipping and MO sales tax for Kingston 4GB is a good enough price for me …

I think they make great stocking stuffers. I will probably use one to store family photos and small movies.

Darth Vader NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO they are sold out!

Hey, waddayaknow … I actually got in before it sold out instead of just afterwards … for once …

Same price as kingston is selling them for directly.
http://shop.kingston.com/Zpromo/
Would have been only been better here on sellout if you bought two or three.

I bought three of these last night. Just posting to see what color my little rectangle is. Is it counting sellout.woot woots plus woot woots? or just sellout.woot woots?

EDIT: It’s dark red, so it’s counting total woots, regardless of which site the woots were wooted from.

darn.
the one day I get up late and don’t have time to check woot before I leave for the day they have exactly what I’ve been waiting for,

wtf

If you format it NFTS it COULD be used for RBoost
But you WOULD NOT want to.
These drives and their 8Gb Cousins are VERY SLOW when writing.

'The “High Speed” tagline refers to the fact it uses USB 2.0 the “high speed” version of USB (as opposed to USB 1) - the flash drive itself, usually comes dead last in comparisons/bakeoffs as it comes to write-speed (read speeds are “OK”).

Neverthless, I have quite a few of these snails (8Gb and 4 Gb) because what I use them for, the write speed doesn’t bother me. And the price per Gb shipped is hard to beat.

God, am I dreading the day that I will be forced to use Vista!

A little research shows that high speed refers to the USB 2.0 spec, not the speed of the memory.
From Wikipedia : "
USB supports three data rates:

* The Full Speed rate of 12 Mbit/s (1.5 MB/s) is the basic USB data rate defined by USB 1.0. All USB hubs support Full Speed.
* A Low Speed rate of 1.5 Mbit/s (187.5 kB/s) is also defined by USB 1.0. It is very similar to full speed operation except that each bit takes 8 times as long to transmit. It is intended primarily to save cost in low-bandwidth Human Interface Devices (HID) such as keyboards, mice, and joysticks.
* A **High-Speed (USB 2.0) rate of 480 Mbit/s (60 MB/s)** was introduced in USB 2.0. All high-speed devices are capable of falling back to full-speed operation if necessary."