Klipsch Quintet 5-Piece Speaker System

Usually bundled complete speaker/receiver sets use low end on both ends. Cheapest speakers with the cheapest receiver. Not sure about the yamahas you are mentioning, just something to check out before going that route.

As for adding a sub, you most likely wouldn’t notice a big difference in a bundled one vs. a separate one.

The energy set is great, it gets great reviews for a reason. Can’t say it would be better than these, but it is a great option for a smaller speaker set.

Just putting my two cents in since I have seen a couple references to Bose. Not trying to make anyone who owns them mad, but most people who get into home theater beyond the trip to the big yellow tag store and say “I want the best surround system you got” don’t look twice at them. Since I am the type who prefers to give everything a fair shot, I have first hand experience with them. I have owned a cinemate 2.1 system for our living room tv, a 2.1 companion system for my computer, and a lifestyle system for my theater setup. All have been disappointing at their best. Bose does fantastic marketing, both in store with there amazing sounding setups that are tweaked to make them sound great, and in advertising of their products. They sell a simple setup that anyone can do, make sure they sound amazing in the store, and charge a crazy amount of money for what you are getting. Please don’t assume I am some type of hater of bose, because the fact is I loved their high end equipment of twenty plus years ago. It is just there new setup of selling mediocre equipment at high prices that I don’t like. I have spent the money to try out their setups. I have compared them directly with setups I put together for much less. My lower priced, but somewhat more carefully planned, systems always beat out the uber expensive Bose. Again, just my two cents. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, so I figured I would put mine out there and maybe make someone think twice about spending their hard earned cash on what i have found to inferior.

You realize I was joking right?

Its Yamaha yht 395- $300
Yamaha yht 497 - $400
Yamaha yht 595 - $400

Its just that I want to get a nice home theater system with much less hastle. I know the one here sound good, but then I have to get a sub and a receiver and wires and instructions and so on. all above are recommended by consumer reports.

Yes, it does. These are just the front, center & rear speakers. Still needs a sub-woofer (most important part of a home theater) and a 5.1 receiver/amp

Last quickie:

I think this is the right video:

[youtube=0PkBnAZ2Z0g][/youtube]

and manual:

http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/mfg/3579/media_document/live_1/QuintetIVManual.pdf?1288056623

Sorry, gotta go

I have an old Klipsch Sub from my 5.1 COMPUTER system (lost the speakers and control unit in a fire, but still have the sub).

Will that sub work with this and do I need a new control unit to make it work or can I just rig it to a Receiver and let er’ rip?

Thanks

Understood. Most home theater in a box systems are sold because most people feel the same way. Just know that you are most likely trading off some sound quality when going that route. For the prices the yamahas you mentioned sell for I would guess you are getting your moneys worth, just not more than your moneys worth. I can’t knock some of yamahas cheaper sets, though. I am currently using yamahas ns-3800 5.1 speaker set along with an inexpensive pioneer receiver (VSX-521). Got the speakers off of woot for $150 and the receiver from wal mart for $150, and purchased a 100ft roll of 16 guage speaker wire for $22 (yamaha speakers came with wire, but it was complete junk). For just over 300 bucks I have a system that sounds better than the 2k Bose lifestyle system it replaced. Fuller sound from all channels, lower bass extension due to the larger sub, and a more seemless blend between the sub and speakers due to the lower frequency response of the main speakers (100hz). Not saying it is the way for you to go, just mentioning since you are a fellow wooter and we all love deals! No matter what way you go, chances are that if your speakers come with wire, it is probably junk. Spend the extra 10 or 20 bucks and buy your own. Using the wire included in most cheap speaker sets is like not buying a 6 dollar HDMI cable to hook up to your new flatscreen tv and instead using some old analog rca’s you have in a closet somewhere since they are free. The sound quality gain can often be that noticeable.

I don’t know how each sub is connected on every computer speaker model, but everyone I have seen uses a propitiatory connector to connect to to some control unit. That aside, the Klipsch computer speakers I have seen with a sub have a sub that just wouldn’t have the output needed to match up with these speakers. I think you will need a sub. Some cheap, decent subs can be had for just under a 100 bucks. They won’t be the best you can buy, but more than adequate for pairing with a pre packaged system like this. With this set, a cheap sub, some speaker wire, and an inexpensive receiver (should be able to get one for under $200) you should be able to put something real decent for under $500.

Sub I had was from a 5.1 and actually has ports for all the 5 speakers to come into it (acting as a receiver)

Going to call Klipsch and see whassup tomorrow…if not new sub it is.

Another ? – is this receiver the right fit OHM-wise for this set? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Denon-AVR-1312-5-1-Channel-Home-Theater-Receiver-NEW-/110868085237#ht_1916wt_1141

Thanks

Yup…Bose is a “marketing company.” The products they sell are highly overpriced and often result, to discriminating listeners, in something called “listening fatigue.” That simply means you get tired of listening to them since they get to sound annoying after awhile.

I don’t think he was around for the “Mac compatibility” haha

Indeed. My brother does audio engineering (speaker design) for a living and he told me the trade meme goes something like this: “No highs? No lows? Must be BOSE.”

I have a set of the Gen 3 Quintets and absolutely love them (have had them going on 3 years now). I live in a small condo where tower speakers are not an option. They fill up the space nicely. I purchased another pair of Klipsch surround speakers to fill out my 7.1 system, and am using the Athena 400W subwoofer if picked up here on Woot back in 2006.

Because they are smaller speakers, audiophiles are going to tell you that they’re not going to sound as good as a set of home theater towers. They do, however, sound infinitely better than the Sony 7.1 home theater in a box speakers that I picked up open box at BB back in 2003ish.

Other thoughts: The Gen 3 bases doubled as the mount points for stands and ceiling mounts; there wasn’t a way to remove them for mounting, so keep that in mind if you are worried about aesthetics of mounting. They may look a little strange with the base hanging off a mount. Also I’ve found that on one of my speakers, the speaker cover falls off quite easily.

klipsch is awesome, but for the money, I’d rather have my Energy take 5 classic, no sub. They’re made by klipsch anyways. I live in an apartment, I don’t want a sub.

Own this set along with the 12" Klipsch Subwoofer and two additional satellites paired with a Denon 7.1. Hands down Klipsch beats out systems like Bose. Most movie theaters use this brand for their sound systems. This is a great deal but definitely needs to be paired with a good amp and sub.

Try harder - MAC compatibility references here are as stale as Vaudeville routines, and asking a question answered in the description doesn’t appear as humor - it appears as poor reading / comprehension skills.

But to try and add some value to the discussion - horn loaded drivers aren’t for everyone. As it happens I prefer them myself, but folks should know that generally they have a very “focused soundstage” - generally they sound best in a very symmetrically positioned installation, and they will generally have a “sweet spot” where they sound best. Or conversely, they generally don’t have a wide dispersion field.

I have a 9.2 setup that is all Klipsch Reference series (re-issued old-school stuff, not the current crap they are closing out on NewEgg) - and I love them. Not to take away from “cheaper” subs - but in many cases you get what you pay for - and Klipsch does a great job with subwoofers. I could see where an apartment dweller might not have the ability to add one - but if you get these and don’t add a sub you’re really not using them to their full potential.

These won’t need a burn-in like, say, a magneplanar speaker, but they will get better with some break-in time. Even if you can’t crank them for a day, over the course of a few months the sound will even out.

Klipsch used to only sell in the high-end audio market. They showed up at big box stores a few years back and no one who shopped in those places knew who they were. The same thing happened with Polk, many moons ago. Now they are a houshold name. Are they as good as they used to be? That is a hotly debated topic…and another matter altogether.

I have no personal experience with them, but it is known amongst audiophiles with deep pockets that they are a solid brand. I don’t know how their affordable lines perform in comparison to others brands in their price range, but I’ve heard good things.

As for Bose…well…

You’ve been caught in the Mac-trap. There is always some joker on here asking if the product is Mac compatible. Iced-tea Pitcher…Mac compatible? Baseball Mitt…Mac compatible? You get the idea. Kind-of an inside thing, I guess. Always humorous though.

Could my old powered sound blaster sub be used as woof and amp?