Klipsch Reference R-112SW Subwoofer

Klipsch Reference R-112SW Subwoofer

Be aware these are not cherry wood, but, as the specs say - * Enclosure Material: MDF
That means, not solid wood.
Medium-density fibreboard (Medium-density fibreboard - Wikipedia)
Medium-density fibreboard (MDF) is an engineered wood product made by breaking down hardwood or softwood residuals into wood fibres, often in a defibrator, combining it with wax and a resin binder, and forming panels by applying high temperature and pressure.

Front-firing slot port with exclusive internal flare technology…hmmmmm…internal flares, better make sure my fire extinguishers are fully charged. This could get fun.

Almost every sub/speaker enclosure is made of MDF with a wood (cherry in this case) veneer.
This is common in this price range and shouldn’t be a detraction from this product.

6 Likes

Seems like there have been problems with the amps on these going bad…like the price, but the reliability makes me nervous.

If you look at online reviews for any electronic product you will find someone that had a problem. The bottom line is that this is the best sub for the money out there. Brand new with the full factory warranty…seems like a no-brainer to me if you are in the market for a sub.

2 Likes

MDF is absolutely standard issue on nearly every speaker sold under $1000.

FWIW, Crutchfield has them for $399 right now, so this is a pretty dang good bargain. I love Klipsch subs, though I’m not fond of their horn tweeters in their other speakers.

Yeah, even a lot of very high end speakers are made from MDF because it is a very consistent material. The Forte III speakers are MDF (with real wood veneer of course) and they are $4K a pair. All of my speakers are MDF enclosures and they sound great.

Take a look art these guys if youre in the market for budget friendly speakers. I have a set up from them and really love them. Check out the reviews.

The more I check out user reviews, the more I just really don’t see this as all that great of a deal. You seem to be paying for the cherry finish (yes, I know…MDF, I got that part) more so than the performance. I actually am leaning more toward the link provided by kramred…when I consider no sales tax with that option, the price is darn near the same as this Klipsch and everyone is raving about their sound.

You want fiberboard, it has better acoustic qualities than real wood will. That said, I would prefer HDF (what I used to build my speakers) over MDF, but still, I’d want either of those over real hardwood any day.

You’re not paying for the cherry finish. The black version is usually sold for the same exact price. Typically with Klipsch subwoofers you’re partly paying for the gold woofer… meaning, you’re paying a little more for the Klipsch name. Klipsch is very well regarded for speakers, but their subwoofers are typically seen as a bit overpriced for what they offer. That said, this sub for $350 with a 12" driver and 300w RMS isnt a bad deal at all.

This is still a great deal. The replacement model for this unit (the SPL120) is $599 and these have nearly identical specs. Budget brands like RLS are just that…budget brands. I’ve listened to and owned a lot of subs over the years and a budget brand 10" vs. a name brand 12" (keep in mind this is a mid line not even the entry level) is no contest. The R112SW will beat the pants off of the SPEEDWOOFER 10S. It claims 350w RMS…that is just a number on paper. My current primary system sub is rated at 350w (Depth i) and I can assure you that the RLS is not even in the same universe as it. They retailed for $2195. Anyone in the market for a 12" sub should consider this deal because it is hands down the best sub for the money that is online right now.