Condition: White
Products:
1 2005 Kluge SP Reserve Sparkling Wine
1 2005 Kluge SP Blanc De Blanc Sparkling Wine
CT links above

Winery Website
Kluge on Twitter
Kluge on Facebook

No Illinois on the list! Oh dear. I feel so… sob… like New Jersey!

What’s the difference between sparkling wine and champagne? Is it sparkling wine because it’s not from that particular region of France?

blanc de blanc retail $28
reserve retail $48

$76 value for $50 shipped

http://www.klugeestateonline.com/html/store.php?pg=list&sid=&order=0

Yup.

I have been wanting to get something for our anniversary this January and neither do my husband or I rally drink(maybe once or twice a year) Is this sweet?

Description on both says “Brut” which is pretty much bone-dry (not sweet). However, the description on both is identical, so one may be different. I would expect both to be non-sweet though.

EDIT: Both bottles say BRUT on the label, so both are definitely quite dry (non-sweet).

Very short list this week. First Virginia wine, I believe. They probably don’t invest as heavily in licensing to smaller markets (you know, like Chicago… :slight_smile: ).

What is the differance between méthode traditionelle and méthode champenoise?

It’s like the difference between sparkling wine and champagne. The latter term is restricted to the Champagne region of France, the former is not.

The Woot descriptions for these two wines is identical. Could a mistake have been made?

If not, could someone please explain what the difference between these two wines are, besides the label?

This is a black Friday special alright: available to 18 states plus D.C. only

Missouri, yeah! Woot may charge me sales tax, but at least they let me drink my worries away.

Yes Virginia, there is bubbly.

BUT, I’m still skeptical of Virginia wine. Anyone had this wine and ready to testify?

Yes. Champange France has a hold on the name Champange; sparkling wine made elsewhere is called sparkling wine.

On the winery website, the 2004s (these are 2005s) both match the woot description. The only difference I can see is that the reserve bottle-aged 36 month on-lees whereas the BdB went for 22 months before disgorgement.

Production on the Reserve was a fraction of the BdB (77 cases vs 1,200) and they may have cherry-picked the best of the best for the reserve (hard to tell for sure from the write-ups).

Nothing says “delicious” to my ears quite like the name Kluge. It says something else entirely the next morning. Kluge.

It’s interesting that NJ is not included because I get wine by mail from other merchants. But, they have to charge me sales tax. Maybe that is the rule in NJ - “we’ll let you ship wine into our state as long as you collect and remit the sales tax.” This is such a screwed up state in so many ways.

I’m wondering if it is a little more complicated than that. Both seem to describe the identical, traditional process. But I think méthode champenoise is an older term, which is now banned for use in the EU (unless the wine comes from the Champagne region and otherwise meets the appellation standards). So, perhaps the difference is either 1) a bottle with the former term is intended to be marketed in the EU while the latter is only intended for sale in the US and/or other non-EU countries, or 2) the latter uses older labels that haven’t been updated lately. I would be curious what the winemaker says about this.