Knives, Knives, Knives!

Also, the Espada series please :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: (love you!)

It may surprise you but ‘real’ brass knuckles are available on the web (and many flea markets) every day. Most sellers that I have found however sell them as paper weights, to get around the laws. As in, "brass knuckle style paper weight.

A few (I guess just take the chance or don’t care) advertise and sell them for what they are. Surprisingly, they are to be found for little money, around $8 to $20. An example of a less expensive seller can be found here,Loading...

That seller seems to not care and sells them as brass knuckles. But, once the sale is made he is gone. It is when you get caught with them that you will have a problem and for this item I think that is in all 50 states.

That depends entirely upon what you expect to use the knife for. There is give and take for every style made. Serrated is much better at sawing items that a straight edge would be challenged. A small limb of a bush or tree for example. Obviously, the straight edge would do a much finer job on nice smooth clean cuts and frankly, this is seen for most day to day use. Also, when you have a combination on the same blade you have to recognize when you need a clean cut only half of your blade can be used and for sawing again, only half you blade can be used so, there is compromise there also. So, if you think you may want to use your carry knife for things that include, camping or possibly some yard work involving hedging etc., you may want to go for the combo with serrated. But if you do not see the use for that, go with the straight edge and as it would be the entire length of the knife, a little more usable for the job it is intended to do. A knife is a tool and just like other tools there are different styles for different jobs. Decide the job you expect to encounter and then select the tool or style that best meets your needs.

On size you must consider the law but as you are in Texas, you do not. Woot is not going to be selling a folding knife that would not be allowed in your state. I’m from NC and I enjoy the same freedoms you do when it comes to knife carry. There are still some restrictions both state and federal but Woot won’t be selling anything that fall in those for you. Back to size, again it depends on your needs and in this case, your pocket. Decide if a particular size is more knife than you want to take up room in your pocket. If it is not, then you may want to go with a larger knife. Size again would be determined by each individual user so I can not say what would be best for you or visa verse.

I was very surprised to see the S&W knife with the serrated tip sold out. I sell knives and that knife is available to me but I never order it. I think putting the serrations on the tip is a horrible and useless design, maybe even somewhat dangerous. Think about it. If you are going to be sawing (moving back and forth) you would want that on the back part of the blade and also because it is closer to your hand you can bare down with a little more control. With it on the tip you would not be able to bare down as much and you are not going to be able to safely use a sawing motion as the blade could easily move off the target of your cut. And when a blade suddenly and unexpectedly moves or slips off it’s intended target, it almost always finds it’s way to another subject that does not need to be sliced or cut at all. You, for example. Don’t get me wrong, for the money spent the S&W knives are fine and inexpensive but that one model, no way do I even want one in my hand.

Is this the beginning of knife.woot.com?

Gotta share the love from sport!

Size preference is both a personal thing and depends on your potential usage…I’ve carried the extra large(not sold here) 11 inch version all day without issue personally, though some people would consider that too large for regular carry. The 7 inch version is more a “normal” size for an everyday carry blade(the Spyderco Tenacious is a well known and highly respected EDC knife, and it’s overall length is 7.75 inches), and is the one least likely to alarm people if you pull it out and use it for every day tasks like box cutting or whatnot. If you’re carrying it for potential self-defense(this wouldn’t automatically be my first choice for a defensive knife though), longer blade is better, as it has more reach.

As for plain vs serrated, plain edge is generally better for every day tasks, if you plan on doing outdoor tasks with it though, you might wanna go for the serrated version.

So, my recommendation, if you’re just looking for a blade for regular carry for mundane tasks, get the 7 inch plain edge. If you’re looking for a self defense knife, get the 9 inch plain edge. If you’re looking for a knife for possible outdoor usage, get the 9 inch serrated.

Couple more notes here-the blades are stonewashed, might not be able to tell that from the image, which is a plus IMO. And the Triad locking mechanism on them is stupidly strong…look up the torture tests people have put this lock through on Youtube to see what I mean. And yes, use caution, Cold Steel blades come SHARP out of box. While I do recommend that Nutnfancy review link the other dude posted, if you don’t want to sit through a 31 minute knife review vid and wanna see one just focused on this particular Voyager model(9 inch plain edge), check out this one:

Whatever you get though, you’re getting a bargain. The Voyager series are really good knives, and the 9 inch versions tend to run $45-50, so $28 is a very good price. Me, I ordered the 9 inch serrated for my personal collection. I always kinda wanted one of Cold Steel’s serrated knives for my collection, but since I already had a plain edge one I found it hard to justify rebuying the same knife just for serrations at that price. But since I can get it here at about half the price, I took the plunge and got one.

Made in the USA? Or China?

did you have a specific knife in mind?

That website is awesome! Thanks.

If you mean the Cold Steel blades, neither, they’re made in Japan.

Nope.

Taiwan, but don’t let that fact fool you into thinking that the knives aren’t good quality. Lin Thompson (the founder/owner of Cold Steel) doesn’t allow crud to be sold under his name.

I bought the Cold Steel knives in an earlier Woot. They are very well constructed knives and they are made out of fine quality materials. The peculiar Vaquero blade shape rather limits their utility, though, but they are fine knives nonetheless. Recommended.

What is it about living in Houston that makes you want to have a knife to just “carry one around?”

You think that website is “awesome?” Methinks you are heading for trouble dude. You better put on your thinking cap.

Now THAT’s cool! It’s good to hear from someone who actually puts a knife to GOOD use! There are far too many wannabe “knife fighters” carrying around knives while day dreaming about slicing up or stabbin’ somebody. Little do they know; that is NOT a situation they wanna find themselves in.

Explanation: The “Vaquero” style blade looks cool, and buckaroos like the look, 'cuz it goes well with cowboy boots.

I like that you are selling a lot of cool knives. I’ve been looking for a small pocket knife that fits on a key chain. Ive had a couple knifes like that before but cant seem to find one anymore.

Junk of China. Chinese junk. Not the boat. LOLOMGZ

You can get keychain size knives at a lot of places. Amazon.com for one, and any of the numerous knife retailers out there will have something along those lines. Victorinox makes a whole assortment of them(they’re the makers of the classic “Swiss army knife”), there’s the Spyderco Bug which is small enough that one knife reviewer on Youtube wears a pair of them as earrings…

Then if you don’t mind carrying something a little larger there’s even more options. Spyderco Ladybug, Cold Steel’s Micro Recon, etc.

Look for SypderCo Bug or Supderco HoneyBee. The bug is smaller, but I have both on my 2 different keychains. Amzon has the Slipit three set (the Bug, Honeybee, and regular size pocket knife the Grasshopper) for $25.

And to all those curious about the Vaquero’s blade, and its utility use…this is not a utility knife. It can be used for that, but it is used for shearing. I watched the review All 3 Cold Steel XL Voyagers & Espada Large - YouTube and it pretty much explains the blade. ITs designed for tactical purposes.