Kodak EasyShare 12MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom

Wootalyzer’s Pricing Post! - The price of today’s woot item is saved here for future reference

Kodak EasyShare 12MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom
$64.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: Refurbished

Product List:

• 1 Kodak EasyShare M550 12MP, 5x Optical Zoom, 2.7" LCD, ISO 1600, Face Recognition, Li-ion Battery

DISCLAIMER Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

Product Website

Previous woot, I believe, $5 cheaper now:

http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4180874

Reviews at Amazon.

for a refurb you can get a better price elsewhere…of course, you don’t get woot!

I vote the color choice baby blue to be the most manly color of the 4. I’m in for none.

bought this the last time it was on here. very simple camera, doesnt seem very durable, good though. yet, it will not charge and now doesn’t work (had it for maybe 2 weeks?) go figure…

Nice Henry Ford, reference, woot.

Good, thorough Steve’s-Digicam review here: http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/kodak/m550/kodak-easyshare-m550-review.html

Seems like a good, solid snapshot camera, with excellent picture quality for the price.

BTW, the review says that there’s no external charger available for the battery. I recommend the Lenmar clip charger. Works great for my cell phone and camera batteries!: http://www.amazon.com/PPUCLIP-Universal-Charger-Adjustable-Contacts/dp/B001RGYZJS

My limited experience with several Kodak cameras have not been good. Worst is their tendency to be energy hogs. One of the Kodaks I bought from Woots couldn’t survive for more than 30 photos, and less if you do videos on one set of NiMH batteries. This uses a LiIon battery so battery life may have improved. Color reproduction and distortion were pretty good (but keep in mind that I am very much an amateur), but everything else about it was middling, i.e. lag time. One thing I’ve heard from several Wooters is how delicate the Kodaks are. I took care of mine pretty well,yet one day I found the LCD cracked in my knapsack despite not having had any impact. In fact, I kept it wrapped in a scarf for padding. Several other Wooters said that their screens also cracked. I have not had thios problem with any other camera, some of which I treat roughly.

Reviews:

testfreaks

LetsGoDigital

alatest UK

Retrevo

Given the 12 MP resolution, it’s surprising that the video is only VGA. So keep that in mind if you plan to use the this camera for video.

YouTube videos:

Kodak Easyshare M550 Digital Camera

Kodak Easyshare M550 Commercial

HSN video:

Kodak EasyShare 12MP

Anyone know the aperture range?

Feature-wise, everything about this is average except:

1. Pixel count is on the high side, although as many will point out, a high pixel count may actually be a negative in small cameras.

2. The 5x optical zoom is a definite plus, and rarely found even in point-and-shoots at 3 times the price.

Here’s the manual.

Same camera is $5 cheaper on buy dot com and ebay.

P O S