Kodak Easyshare 16MP Camera

Contact The old Post Office and write a letter follow-up… they WILL help.

remember, it’s a lot easier to go to the store when you’re out taking pictures than having to go home and charge your battery

Have it, love it. Amazed by the zoom quality, great battery life too. Have an Olympus Tough for quickie, outdoor pics but if I want good ones - this is it!

I went for the z990 over this one. The Z990 has a viewfinder for one. Since they both have the same size image sensor, the 16 MP in this camera will look more grainy than the 12MP at full resolution. This camera has a CCD type sensor where the Z990 has a CMOS, the CMOS being better suited for night and low light photos. CCD imagers produce more uniform light in images, but aren’t as efficient on power as CMOS. Also CCDs would have better dynamic range than CMOS. CMOS imagers can capture images faster, and have a completey digital output whereas CCD is analog output.

Just sayin… both have their ups and downs, I prefer the z990.

Was close to getting this one since I already have a z981 which I LOVE a friend has a Z990 which I do get to see from time to time. After reading some comments I found out the this one has no view finder which coming from a SLR and DSLR I really need that eye piece. So I have to pass on it.

me tooo!!

Personally, I prefer regular batteries over the specialized camera battery or rechargable because when I shoot, it’s often an all-day affair. Unless you have more than one rechargable battery so you can switch them out, you’re screwed the second the battery dies (even if you have 2, you may not always have a place to plug them in…like if you tent camp). The special camera batteries are too hard to find on the run (not every gas station has them, plus they appear to be phasing those out).
Using regular batteries is one of the criteria I look at when shopping for a camera because I’ve been stuck before with a dead pack and missed photos.

Can anyone tell me how the shutter speed is on this…or on the z990?

My experience with Kodaks, especially the Easyshare line, has been terrible with the worst shutter speed and reaction time. Even on “sports” settings, most everything would come out blurred because someone moved their hand.

However, this was a few years ago (which isn’t an excuse since every other camera I used was so much better, even if they were older) and I was wondering if or how much they’ve improved that?
I don’t think I’ll choose this camera (I need a little more control than this gives me), but I may look at one of these or another Kodak for a gift if they’ve improved. So, thanks for any input.

I bought this a few months back and love it. I’m still learning what settings work best but I have no complaints other than, yeah a hand-strap or something would have been nice.

And for the battery complaints- Re-chargeable batteries work wonders. I’ve had the same set for a few years, they still hold a charge beautifully. I have yet to have this camera or any of my previous ones die on me because of using rechargeable AA’s over a battery pack.

This one comes with a case that has a strap, but that strap can’t be used as a neck strap.

The ability to use AA rechargeables or plain AA alkaline cells was a big advantage for me. You can get 4 AA NiMH rechargeable cells and a charger for less than $20; the cells are less than $2 apiece if you’re a careful shopper. So you can have lots of spares. But if you find yourself without charged batteries, you can buy regular AA alkaline cells just about anywhere–Wal-mart, any drug store, or the gift shop at whatever attraction you’re visiting.

Also, 12 years from now, AA batteries will still be available and cheap. It may not be so easy to find a special battery pack.

Shutter speed on Kodaks is fine. I think the problem you might be having has to do with “shutter lag”, which can be improved by using a faster SD card (minimum class 6) and also by understanding that you need to take pictures with digital cameras by first depressing the shutter button half way to activate the autofocus, wait for the camera to tell you it has focus locked in and then snap the picture by depressing the shutter button the rest of the way.

I hope I made a good choice. Bought the purple one. I have had good luck with the Kodak brand in the past. And the one I currently have is old old… only 7 mp. :frowning: Want it to take pics of birds on water. Any feedback???

Shoot, is it too late to cancel? Bad choice, you should have got the Blue one! Because it looks like the sky, and the sky is happy.

LOL… I figured spouse might not be too excited to use the purple. heheh.

Kinda sad to know that this is the last camera Kodak is ever making. At least they should have went out with a bigger bang than this.

this is a decent camera. not even the same class as the z990 though i own both as well as the older 5010 model. i in fact own 4 z990’s. yes one main advantage of the z990 is the viewfinder as many have already said BUT THE MOST important advantage of the z990 is the bsi cmos sensor or back side illuminated sensor. the 5120 has a ccd sensor. the cmos sensor makes a WORLD of difference especially in low light situations. some people do prefer the slightly over saturated color of ccd but it will not nearly take the same pics overall. this is a great point and shoot for people who either dont care or want a camera and have no idea how to use all the settings. otherwise try to find a z990 you will be much happier. i love woot and i really hate to say that here but after using both extensively this pales to the z990. i also own a canon t4i, pentax k-30, nikons etc and as someone above stated i use the z990 most of the time due to not needed my extra lenses and due to the price if something happened to my z990 im not out thousands so no big deal.

in fact if woot would have the z990 again at the same or lower price i would buy another 3 just for gifts. it lacks a few features of the likes of the sx40 or panny 150 but its also a quarter of the price.

haha nice thinking there

Does anyone know how well the camera works in low lighting?

this being a ccd sensor it will not be great. see my post a few above this for more info