Kodak Easyshare 16MP Camera

Quickabout website stated this on their specs.

AE Bracketing
±1 (3 frames at 1/3 EV steps)

Similar Kodak Easyshare models have a slight delay during which the camera focuses. So do nearly all point ‘n’ shoot digital cameras. Well, except in burst mode, where the camera makes several exposures rapidly based on the focus setting of the first exposure.

With this type of camera you don’t want to rapidly press the shutter button and repeat. Press it halfway and pause slightly, allowing autofocus to work, and watch to see what the on-LCD focus indicator is hovering on. If it’s on a tree branch, your portrait subject might be out of focus.

I bought this camera back in May and I’ve yet to run out of battery power. Granted, I haven’t used it everyday. It got me through a few major events though. A birthday party, a move, and several relatives visiting. I’ve been really impressed with the picture quality, though I should add that all the digital cameras I’ve had in the past had far less megapixels.

One weird issue I’ve noticed is that sometimes after I’ve taken a picture I can’t play it back on the camera. This may have something to do with the memory card I bought or how I formatted the card. The camera still takes the pictures, but sometimes I have to take the memory card out of the camera and put it in my computer to view them. It’s annoying, but the camera still works and overall I’m very pleased with it.

Is there any way to attach a filter, like a polarizing filter, or auxiliary lenses, like close-up lenses? Thanks!

I got one of these off woot a couple months ago, so to answer a few questions/comments…

It is NOT a refurb. It is brand new and well-packaged.

The batteries do last a pretty long time.

The zoom is really terrific. And despite what another poster said, you don’t necessarily need a tripod when you are zoomed in all the way. I suppose it depends on the circumstances.

As far as response to clicking, it’s like most digital cameras. If you press the button down halfway first to get the focus and light settings it’s pretty responsive when you click all the way.

I am very happy with the picture and video quality. I am an amateur and I’m sure if I knew more about settings, I could get even better pictures.

The only thing I don’t like about this camera so far is that you have to go into shooting mode (lens open) in order to switch to photo viewing mode. However, it may just be that I haven’t learned the way to avoid that.

Some people worry that there’s no view finder, but that hasn’t bothered me any.

As far as customer support, I paid for a warranty through that third party company whose name I can’t remember offhand, but whom a lot of people praise.

Just buy it. It IS a good camera. Feels nice and solid in your hands too.

If I buy one am I helping to restore Kodak to it’s former glory or would I simply be an enabler… allowing them to continue down the wrong path?

I got another Kodak from Woot, the EasyShare Max Z990 that was 12MP, but otherwise superior to this one in every way. 30x zoom, good in low light, full 1080p video in stereo.
I’m very happy with it except that sometimes it stops recording video when I don’t want it to…
Were I you, I’d wait and see if the Z990 doesn’t come back…

I agree! Z990 is much better, even a referb.

Woot! sold out on both the new and refurbished Z990s when they were offered, so unless they come up with a new source, I wouldn’t count on seeing them here again, not saying they can’t. I bought both a new and refurbished Z990, love then both. Not that the Z5120 is a bad camera, it just doesn’t have all the features of the Z990.

The Z5120 will still out preform most if not all P&S(Point and Shoot) cameras, and you’ll have a hard time beating the price.

I bought this camera from Woot late June and it worked fine for a few days. Since then, any adjustment of the lens causes the camera to lose focus and the the picture gets all foggy.It is a real mess and I now can’t get any good pictures when I use it.

I have tried contacting Kodak to get it serviced or replaced under the warranty but todate no response from Kodak.

Can anyone tell me how I can get this camera fixed?

Z5120 vs Z990 MAX

http://snapsort.com/compare/Kodak-Z5120-vs-Kodak-Z990-MAX

I think both cameras have burst mode to shoot many frames fast. I think this camera is a tad faster.

The z990 has very good low light.

The refirb v990 woot sent me did not have a camera case.

I have had a 10mp 10x zoom Easyshare for about two years and it takes great pictures very quickly. It is one of the first digital cameras I’ve owned that can be rapid fired (at least in daytime lighting) and doesn’t lose quality. Doesn’t require special software or odd batteries either. I also paid about the same for it as this behemoth. I’d jump on one except I still have my old one.

I have this camera also. It DOES NOT take the picture immediately and the batteries go dead very fast.

I have this camera, I do NOT recommend buying it. The batteries go dead often, so have them on hand. It does NOT take the picture immediately, there is a lag.

My sister told me to send it back when I bought it, but, I didn’t listen, because of the battery issue. She was right I should have sent it back

I purchased this camera from somewhere else last year. The battery’s go dead often. I have replaced them every 3 months. I don’t like the lag time.

As I’m not a professional either, I find my little camera from Samsung much better. I would not purchase this Kodak, I should have sent it back.

I never found I used customer service for things like cameras, most info ca be fund off their website or discussion oards like this. At this price it falls into the commodity catagory

Batteries go dead - The z990 (proly the same with this camera) I got has as a default setting continuous auto focus. If you change that to only auto focusing when you press on the shutter button, it will extend battery life. There may be other tricks.

For shutter speed issues, see if it has burst mode shooting.

Bought this a short while ago on here for 5 more dollars. Love the camera. Takes good pics. Although I have found not as good if you are trying to zoom in on something very tiny. But how often does anyone really do that in daily life anyway?? Very happy. Great camera for daily living pics.

Only film cameras or very expensive cameras do that right now.

There are tons of things that have to happen in a very precise order before the shot is taken. And the (relatively) slow lens will take a while to focus in lower light as well.

This is NOT a “gym” sports shot camera, BTW, so forget that as too. Outdoors, it’s great.

Cameras are improving rapidly, but keep in mind that digis have been around for only about 12 years…imagine what cars were like when they were only 12 years into production.

Right now you have to spend a lot more than $120 to get high performance.

One thing you can do right now is learn to press the shutter button down half-way to lock in the exposure and AF and then complete the push at the “decisive moment.”

“John Stewart Socha” (search for more info than you want to know about me!)

Beware of anyone who simply says the pictures are “blurry!” This means that don’t know the difference between camera shake, subject motion and perhaps out of focus.

It may also indicate that they have been trying to take an action shot (usually in low light) that the camera was not built to do.

There is no “magic fairy dust camera” (yet) that does great fast response, low light action shooting for $120, so these folks need to get over it and spend more money or wait a few years for cameras to improve.