Krave Jerky

I LOVE this stuff!!!

“Tender slices of domestic beef are double marinated, then baked, resulting in an extraordinarily moist, soft and chewable jerky.”

Baked? Sorry Charlie, that aint jerky.

WIKI SEZ: “Jerky is lean meat that has been trimmed of fat, cut into strips, and then dried to prevent spoilage. Normally, this drying includes the addition of salt, to prevent bacteria from developing on the meat before sufficient moisture has been removed. The word “jerky” derived from the Quechua word ch’arki which means “dried, salted meat”.[1][2][3] All that is needed to produce basic “jerky” is a low-temperature drying method, and salt to inhibit bacterial growth.”

I’m pretty sure that baking in an oven is an acceptable method of drying… I’m a soil scientist and that’s how we dry our soil samples, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work for meat. My wife cooks bacon in the oven and that’s the best way to get it nice and crispy. A different temp would be used here of course, but anything over the boiling should remove moisture.

who cares how it is cooked? it is YUMMY!!!

So why is it that every (USA made) jerky is made with sugar?

Baking at low temperatures IS a “low-temperature drying method.”

Dear Joe Dirt,
As a soil scientist, I’m sure you can understand that “baking” and “drying” are non synonymous.
Baked beef aint jerked, it’s cooked.

You might try the jerkyspot.com for American made biltong. In fact, google is your friend–there are several places based in NY which make both biltong and versions of jerky without loads of sugar. I had my first experience with biltong when I visited Zimbabwe several years ago and immediately became a convert.

I just bought a 16 oz. package of the Black Cherry Barbeque flavor at Costco for under $12. I thought Woot was suppose to SAVE us money.

Me too and the sampler pack has all the best flavors IMO. In for another set…

Baking at a low temp is the current acceptable way of drying jerky (which is not jerked, you might want to try Jamaica for that). Typically it is “baked” at about 200 degrees, same method one uses for drying any other food. Same method used in a dehydrator. Here, baked is used to distinguish the method from say, boiled, or fried, or broiled. It’s a slow process because the temperature is so low. Sort of half-baked, maybe.

Can confirm. This sh*t is so good, I finished eating it before I got home!

I’m going to get another sampler also…yummmm

Even Target’s 3.25oz size for $5 is cheaper.

Thank you for the info. I just went and bought the 5 lb. bag of biltong. I lived in Botswana for 7 years, love the stuff. P.S. As a Norwegian American I must admit, I am secretly in love with your avatar.

Yep. I was ready to jump on this “deal” till I saw the 1.5oz weight.
That’s just over $30/lb after shipping.

I’ve heard mixed reviews, so for me it’s not worth the gamble.

Well I was excited about finally trying this but almost 3 weeks later I’m still watching fed ex bounce it all over the southwest U.S. By the way I don’t live in the S.W.

Will this even be fresh jerky by the time it finally makes its way to my doorstep??? The pony express could have delivered this faster. But hey they expect it will be here by Saturday…

12/03/2014 - Wednesday
3:11 am Arrived at FedEx location FEDEX SMARTPOST DALLAS, TX
12/01/2014 - Monday
7:37 pm In transit SAN JON, NM
7:24 am In transit MONTICELLO, UT
11/30/2014 - Sunday
7:21 pm In transit WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
7:17 am In transit NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
11/29/2014 - Saturday
1:15 am Departed FedEx location FEDEX SMARTPOST RENO, NV
11/28/2014 - Friday
1:56 am Arrived at FedEx location FEDEX SMARTPOST RENO, NV
11/27/2014 - Thursday
7:25 am Departed FedEx location FEDEX SMARTPOST SACRAMENTO, CA
5:56 am Arrived at FedEx location FEDEX SMARTPOST SACRAMENTO, CA
11/20/2014 - Thursday
12:39 pm Shipment information sent to FedEx

Looks like getting Krave on WINE.WOOT is now over.

Just saw these show up for sale in ROSS DRESS FOR LESS in the Virginia area… no joke.