Krupp Brothers, Veraison Synchrony Duo

From Wikipedia:
The size of the barrel plays a large role in determining the effects use of oak on the wine by dictating the ratio of surface area to volume of wine with smaller containers having a larger impact. The most common barrels are the Bordeaux barriques style which hold 59 gallons (225 liters) followed by the Burgundy style barrel which hold 60 gallons (228 liters). Some New World wine makers use the large hogshead 79 gallon (300 liter) size.

From dictionary.com: barrique: Definition:a wine barrel holding 59.44 gallons (225 liters), esp. for Bordeaux

I see the pH on this is pretty high- 3.97, and the brix is 26. Were these harvest numbers or finished wine numbers? If these are the wine numbers would you say this is more of a drink by itself wine rather than a wine you should have with food? Thanks

Simple answer: Barriques = barrels, so they use new French oak for the majority of their barrels. The oak will provide additional characteristics to the nose and taste…the winemakers hope that, over time, these flavors will integrate and accentuate the flavors of the grapes. When it works well, it is incredible…when it flops, it sucks. Most higher end wineries use a majority of new French oak. The rest is typically used barrels, which impart little flavor - the mix is part of the art of blending barrels and lots to get the optimal wines of the vintage.

Z

Hello,

Barriques is a fancy name for oak barrels. We’ve found that Taransaud barrels, which come from the Cognac region of France, and Boussuet, which come from an area between Cognac and Bordeaux, allow for ideal barrel ageing our Bordeaux-varietal wines from Stagecoach. 85% are brand new barrels, and the remaining 15% have been used previously once before.

Welcome to woot! I noticed on the web site you state “a meritage called Synchrony”. Is this truly a Meritage as registered with the Meritage Association?

I see that the name “Veraison” pays homage to the grapes. I was wondering if there was anything behind the name “Synchrony” and where the vineyard got its name.

Thanks for bringing your wine here, looking forward to it.

Has to be, or they’re asking for a whole lotta hurt from the meritage association.

Hi,

Our '04 Synchrony is a very well balanced wine. Most wines that come from Napa’s hillside vineyards, like Stagecoach, have a ton of structure. The fruit sometimes takes a while to come to the surface. However, since this is a 2004, the wine has had time to come together in the bottle and is showing beautifully. The Cabernet Franc dominates the aromatics, and our Franc is bright and fragrant. There are firm mountain tannins, but not in an overpowering kind of way.

Personally, I suggest letting the wines settle for a minimum of two weeks after a long journey on a shipping truck!

Enjoy!

[How good is this deal?]( http://ow.ly/3irx" title="How good is this deal?)

Can I say “Damn good?” Am I allowed to say that? Is that word allowed in here?

It is? Really?

OK. It’s damn good, that’s how good.

Click the link above for full details, including CT links, CT prices, and more.

Doesn’t stop winelibrary from calling EVERY blend a meritage. Meritage needs much better TM counsel, as genericide is becoming an option.

Synchrony is just a fun word that describes bringing various entities together. In this case, we are referring to our Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Malbec!

Except for the subtle fact that they’re calling it a “meritage” and not “Meritage”. That lower case “m” could make all the difference :slight_smile:

Ahhh. I stand corrected. Sorry and thanks for the info.

Brupp? :slight_smile: Just trying to give you a hard time.

Hi Brian!

The minute I saw this offering I bought. I already have a couple of bottles of your 2005 Veraison Cabernet Sauvignon Stagecoach Vineyard in my cellar. I discovered your wines a few months ago at a tasting at the Wine House down in West L.A. and I couldn’t be happier that you are here on wine.woot! Thanks!

Excellent point. Sleepy=sloppy. My bad.

If it was not allowed, we all would have said it once we looked at your link.

Krupp Brothers, Veraison Synchrony Duo
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: MaskedMarvel
Speed to first woot: 0m 5.563s
Last wooter to woot: hld1970

Too hard to resist. This just means another late night covert op. into my basement from the garage while the wife is asleep.

Between the Brix, pH, mountain vineyards and oak regimen, this sounds like it’s impressively fruited and will have its share of tannins. This is a style that is somewhat fatiguing for me, but should do well in the proper context. The Cab Franc aromatics sound like they’re doing yeoman’s work, which is always a plus.