Kuhn Rikon 4th Burner Pot

I think you’re right. I don’t even see this pot on the KR site. They only have the Stainless Steel one. I think this one also has a Teflon coating inside which I know lots of people try to avoid.

This is not the Stainless Steel model you are seeing on the Kuhn Rikon website or on Amazon. This is the cheaper, lower-quality version with the Teflon coating inside and is not dishwasher safe.

Here is someone on Amazon who ordered the full stainless steel but got the colored version instead: http://goo.gl/c22qG

This looks like it would be good as a small deep fryer. Does the basket reach all the way to the bottom?

Bought it last time it was up here, because another reviewer specifically said that it was good for canning (and in most ways, it is–wire basket to keep jars off the pot itself, which you need to prevent cracking; it’s tall, so you don’t need to boil as much water). However, the problem with that is that if you put a quart jar into it (the most common canning size), the lid is at the same level as the top of the pot, so water boils over and evaporates off, so the jar is no longer immersed. Wouldn’t buy it for canning unless you have much shorter jars.

What is the bottom like? Painted bottoms do not work on glass top stoves. The paint melts and sticks to the surface, so bare metal only. I’m always amazed more attention is not paid to this little detail in cookware descriptions given the large number of glass tops out there…

I think 4th burner refers to the smaller burner on older stoves. Most stoves have 2 big 2 small. I think older had 2 big a medem and a small or 3 big and a small.

I would not suggest this for deep frying For 2 reasons.
#1 it is too small. It is only 7.5 inches tall and 5 inches across. You can’t deep fry much in that maybe the amount of a small fry from McDonalds. If you put too much in you can cause an overflow at worst and at least you reduce the temp of the oil and ruin what you are deep frying.
#2 someone else said it is Teflon coated. If that it true you should not deep fry in Teflon.

I like the concept of this pot but don’t care for the idea of sliding a metal basket in and out of a non-stick surface. Thanks for the Amazon link, will probably buy the stainless steel one instead.

It’s not a matter of old or new. I have a 2 year old range, 1 18,500 btu, 3 15,000 btu and one Simmer burner. The simmer burner is a bit smaller and I expect it is only 10,000 btu. It is not really designed for cooking or boiling but for simmering. Yes simmering is a slow boil but I think you get the point. They still make them in low and high end stoves.

I got this approx 3/4 a year ago – was not sure if I’d use it much but was intrigued by some reviews I read over at Amazon - also have a few other Kuhn Rikon products so trust their quality. Since then, its my go to pot; easily the most used. A few uses

• Perfect for hard boiling eggs.
  • Steaming vegetables
  • Good for any grain product – rice, oatmeal, etc…
  • perfect for corn (cut in half)
  • use it daily for hot water (french press coffee).

I really like its compact/vertical size - the smaller circumference makes it good for pouring from one item to another (like pouring soup into a bowl…).

No negatives – we typically get comments from others regarding its unique look and versatility; highly recommend. At this price, you might consider getting 1-2 more for gifts.

I like this little pot. This is great for side dishes for a single person like me. It’s not a particularly good cooking vessel. You can’t make gourmet food out of it but it gets the job done. Someone said use it for deep frying, my reply is that you are only asking for trouble. The material is thin and not good at retaining heat. It’s good for cooking small amounts of food.

I’d rather have a pot burner. :slight_smile:

No worries! You said you have three skillets on the stove right? The whole purpose of this is to fit on that 4th burner along side the three skillets. You’re set!

The basket has little feet that hold the food about 1/2 an inch or so off the bottom of the pot. When I steam foods in it, I usually just deal with the tiny bit of water that touches the food.

But now that I’ve been linked to the stainless steel version, I will be offering this to friends and buying that; I am getting rid of teflon. Thanks for that link!

Are you sure? The only pasta that will stay in that basket are things like lasagna and large shells. Maybe that’s what you meant.

I bought it because of a similar comment last go around, boy was I disappointed! It’s not really good for pasta unless they’re the large kind.

No paint is on the bottom on mine. It’s a stainless steel shiny looking thing. :slight_smile:

I will agree with the others on that this is good for cooking vegetables, and pasta (without the basket) or rice. Works GREAT for corn on the cob, my primary use for it.

It’s simply a tall pot that fits smaller burners.

If I were the designer, I would have made the basket better. Due to the width of the openings, it’s not all that good at draining pasta or things like peas. On the other hand, the lid has a slot spout, and that works pretty good. Problem is that the food is still in there… way down there. It doesn’t scoop out too easy.

I also wouldn’t ever use it as a deep fryer. I wouldn’t fry much of anything in that pot.

For anyone who doesn’t like the idea of the teflon coating (I tend to avoid anything that can kill canaries), and if you don’t mind different handles, look around for an asparagus steamer. I used to have one I gave away (grumble, grumble…) and it was great - stainless steel version of this w/two smaller handles on each side, better basket - got it marked down at a local home typed store.

If the stainless steel version was offered, I’d buy it. I don’t like this version.

I have purchased 3 of these previously as gifts and the folks that purchased are thrilled with them. You may use them for steaming, frying, boiling pasta, sauces … etc. Fabulous pan … ordering 3 more today!