Kuhn RIkon Avocado Knife & Masher Set

Well, if you’re like me and you love getting Avocado on your subs at national sub shop, this’ll probably save you a lot of money. Even if it only has one use.

anyone used this? is it useful or gimmicky?

Seriously??? A special knife for avocados??? For all those times when a normal serrated knife just won’t work. Not sure what the point of those teeth are. This looks like a good way to cut your hand open. And the masher…hmmm…looks a lot like a slotted spoon. But maybe if this works with iPod I would be in for…scratch that…I think I will still pass. :slight_smile:

This is the kind of thing Alton Brown would dismiss as a unitasker.

I use the masher all the time - even for mashed potatoes and the like. The ‘knife’ got used once, then placed in my spare utensil drawer and will most likely end up on my next yard sale. The masher is so great though that I would recommend it for the price!

The slicer has good reviews here…where it is also selling for retail.

http://www.surlatable.com/search/searchContainer.jsp;jsessionid=6D50FBBB56DABF41CA3DD07103FDFCC9?q=avocado&s=true

I, personally, do fine cutting the avocado with a sharp knife and then use a tool similar to the “avocado slicer” to make nice slices for my sandwiches and salads.

in for one, i’ll at least get brownie points for it :stuck_out_tongue:

bah
a fork, a tablespoon and a paring knife is all that Emeril uses.

How about a Cajun shrimp, bacon and avocado po’boy?

This is the avocado slicer I use. It creates restaurant quality slices. I make beautiful salads with perfect looking avocado garnished on top.

http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-International-GT-3654-Avocado-Slicer/dp/B0000DDVVK

Kuhn Rikon is a good name, but these look like they belong on the Dollar Sale page for Sellout.woot. I would be afraid of the knife breaking while trying to remove the pit.

This is a solution in search of a problem.

I bought these because my daughter and I love avocado sandwiches. The curves knife scoops out all of the avocado perfectly. You can also use the little spikes to get the seed out without having to poke through the other side of the avocado. I highly recommend.

I don’t really need this, but after reading reviews I decided to buy one. I checked out Williams Sonoma, Sur La Table, and Amazon - all of whom are selling the knife implement alone for $12.00.

The reviews are decent, depending on what you want it for. If you want it as an “everything” tool, it will not be that miracle tool. It will not cleanly slice through the skin of the avocado and it may take several tried for the little “pricks” to grab the seed so you can pull it out. But what everyone seems to agree on is that the curved blade does a very good job of cutting away the soft meat of the avocado from the skin.

So, if you are like me and like to make pretty salad or pretty sandwiches, this tool can come in handy.

If you are just going to make guacamole, save your money and use a spoon to scoop it out.

I don’t know anything about the masher. Looks like a bent spatula to me…