Kuhn Rikon Can & Jar Opener Set

I paid $14.99 two months ago on Woot. This is a great set of openers but I really need to stop overpaying with Woot.

I cannot for the life of me get the damn can opener to work, it comes off easily and won’t make it all around the lid of any can I’ve tried opening. Yes, I’ve followed the included instructions. Last time I ended up with small metal slivers in my hand and I think that’s the end of my attempts to use it. Maybe mine’s a lemon, or maybe it requires an advanced degree in engineering.

This type of opener does not contact the food since it works by uncrimping the lid, not cutting it, so no need to wash it like the old style that drops the lid inside.
Trivia: I heard that the can opener wasn’t invented until several years after the can.

100% agree with everything you said. I was even able to open a stuck bottle of nail polish! How awesome is that? Pretty darn! Thankfully I don’t eat much Woot Soup.

I think these are sold on Amazon for about $20 EACH (the can openeer and jar opener are sold separately). This is a sbargain.

These lid cutting type of can openers are usually $16+. This is $12.99 and even includes a jar opener. Great stocking stuffers.

Damn you woot I am in for 3. I better buy a bottle of really hard to open liquor for my Dh to deal with the flood of woot boxes that have been coming this way & justify buying three. LOL - Actually I already have the people in mind that will be getting the other two sets for Christmas & one being my 90+ yr old gramma - after ya’ll said it opens things easy I sure hope you mean it. She is currently using that clumsy Grip Ratchet thing they used to sell on TV a few years back. :S

And FYI - Seirra Trading Post lists the set at $22.95, and lists retail as $40…Just thought you might want to know…

[url=]http://www.sierratradingpost.com/kuhn-rikon-5-in-1-can-opener-and-safety-lid-lifter-set-2-piece~p~4850f/?utm_source=Shopzilla_BizRate&utm_medium=PaidShopping&utm_term=Kuhn_Rikon_5-in-1_Can_Opener_and_Safety_Lid_Lifter_Set_-_2-Piece&utm_campaign=PCZILLAUS2&codes-processed=true

I bought these the last time as well and really like them. Find myself reaching for the jar opener more times than I thought I would and the can opener is awesome. Love the way the lid will sit on the can.

I bought these last time they were on as I had a couple of jars with lids stuck on so tight that nobody had been able to open them. I got both lids off with very little effort. The can opener is pretty good, but it’s well worth the price for the jar opener alone.

I wooted this set earlier this year because I wanted a jar opener, and I haven’t been disappointed. My kitchen is kind of a condiment museum, so there are always lots of tricky lids to deal with, and this opener is a much simpler solution than my usual method of hot water, banging on the counter, and cursing the container gods.

To my surprise, though, I have also become a fan of the lid lifter, and now use it exclusively instead of a can opener. Unlike some commenters, I have found it very easy to use, with no problems whatsoever getting it to attach to the can lid. The only downside, I suppose, is that unlike a cut lid, a lifted lid is (obviously) larger than the opening of the can, so you can’t use it to squeeze excess water out of tuna cans…or at least not very effectively. Not a big deal to me, though.

Bought a set the last time,very handy ! I hid the jar opener and did not tell MW that I bought it. Whenever there is a jar she can’t open I sneak that opener from it’s hiding place and bam it’s open. She says “You have such strong hands” and smiles…ya you know it kiddo !

Nope. The only thing a rubber surface does is to add friction so that your fingers won’t slip on the lid/cap. It’s does NOT add strength, leverage or grip. For example, it doesn’t help you squeeze a toothpaste cap any tighter to twist. Nor does it add torque to twist the cap/lid any more strongly.

Your method, for example, will not help someone with arthritis, or a stroke patient since their problem is weakness and flexibility. On the other hand, the jar opener works on the principle of a lever, where leverage multiplies the force you apply (torque).

Also, I don’t see how wearing a rubber glove helps open a pull tab. The gloves actually makes it harder to slip your fingers under the tab for pulling.

I advise everybody to steer clear of this “deal”. Bought 2 last time, one worked once the other never worked. They have quality issues and no response from Woot.

my 1st one from woot worked about a dozen times then stopped, I received a replacement and it wouldn’t work out of the box. Not a fan.

I love these things! I bought it last time it was offered and am very happy with the purchase

I got this a couple of months ago on woot. I haven’t had much chance to use the can opener, but the jar opener is wonderful. I bought one for my mother for Mothers’ Day at Amazon, and it was $18 for just the jar opener.

The fact that these are originally $30 is baffling me.

Bought the red set during the last woot. They were very distinctly different reds. Minor dissapointment. Can opener has crapped out and no longer works. Major dissapointment.

Got one last time to the rave reviews of others. Now that I have it, I think I might have missed something. The can opener is downright deplorable. I haven’t had any opportunities to try the jar opener but I’m not looking forward to it. Go with an old fashioned can opener if that’s what you really need.

I needed a can opener last time it was on Woot, but passed based on someone’s comment that you could easily find them individually at a comparable price (and I didn’t really think I needed the jar opener). Shortly after the Woot ended, I began looking and came to the conclusion that $15 (usually with shipping charges on top of that) was about the cheapest you could get any “lid lifter” alone. I watched two complete Woot-Offs but the set never showed up. I eventually gave up and ordered this set off eBay a week and a half ago for $21 shipped.

I haven’t actually needed to open any cans since it arrived though, so I can’t provide any reviews. I’ve heard that lining it up with the can can be tricky, and that you should only go around the can once, even if it doesn’t look like it’s cut. Going around more will create the slivers that you don’t want stuck in your fingers or food. One other plus to this specific model is that the crank is on the side like a conventional can opener. Many lid lifters have the crank on top, which may be awkward for some people.

I’ve played with the jar opener a bit, and it seems to work as advertised (though I haven’t actually had any stuck jars yet either). It has a hook and a tab for opening pull tabs, and a nice bottle opener in the end (which has already seen a decent bit of use).