Kuhn Rikon Cutlery

John Harrison “cutlery?”

Try Sir John for "chronometers. (That’d be “clocks” for the mouth-breathers amongst us.)

Sir John found the way to find out the distance, traveling east to west, which NO ONE before him, could.

North or South, you can look at a star, to figure distance out. East and west, you need that star, and a REAL GOOD chronometer. John Harrison gave us that clock.

It says the small Kulu knife s 4.5",but it doesn’t give a measurement for the big one, and I can’t find it anywhere else it’s been offered, either, which is quite odd. anyone know?

I found these dims on another site but I’m also confirming them with the buyer.

Large prep knife 9-1/2"L x 3-1/2"W
Small prep knife 7-1/2"L x 2-3/4"W

Update: Confirmed. Sales updated.

I want a really just “OK” Santuko knife, not one that superchefs sharpen ever day, not serrated, but just one a clown like me can use to cut potatoes and onions and slice some not-so-thick cuts of meat.

I was going to try one of these, but I don’t want colored blades and I do NOT want holes in the blade, as I assume food will get stuck in them.

Currently using a cheap Chinese one that was the only useful knife is a cheaper “Farberware” branded knife set. (Wooden block , etc, $39.95 list)

Any ideas, or am I missing out on a great thing here?

I’m going to say, I am a professional bartender and baker/decorator, and my answer is yes, you really are missing out on something with these. I have the BIG FREAKING KNIVES (a set of Wustoffs that I treasure), but I actually turn to my brightly coloured Kuhn Rikons frequently - they came sharp and stayed sharp, I don’t mind taking them to catering jobs (if a Rikon goes missing at one I’m out $10, if the Wustoff paring knife went, I’d be out $40, and I got that at a professional discount cost).

But if they didn’t do a great job, it wouldn’t matter if they were free. They’re great workhorses.

I have several paring knives, the mini chef’s knife, the sandwich knife, the regular chef’s knife, and two santoku knives. Today I’m adding the brea knife (I started making sourdoughs about 4 months ago, and I am finding I really need the serrations in length), the mini-snips, because I was just given a living herb garden.

And I’m getting the small kulu knife, because I want to try one and it’s a good buy-in price, since I’ve wanted to see how I handle a kulu. I rather wish it followed ulu lines a little more, but I’ll give it a whirl.

I really do like my Kuhn Rikons a fair bit, and no, you won’t be making a mistake if you add one or two of these inexpensive knives to a basic kitchen (or in my case, a kitchen where I often take my knives on the road).

earlier I meant to mention; while I bought subsequent knives here, from Woot, the initial purple paring Kuhn Rikon paring knife I bought I bought on the pro recommendation of Adam at The Boston Shaker, a professional bartending supply store here in Boston. He started carrying them because they’ll last a long damn time, they are sharp as hell, and the bright colours make them easy to put in a bartending kit and keep track of at an event.

I just then went a little overboard and started buying MOAR.

I have one in pink pokadots and I LOVE it. They are inexpensive enough to try one or two and not break the bank.

INDEED. that was what got me to buy my second set od=f knives…the purpe knife when missing, and I couldn’t really accuse anyone os taking it, because I was doing an event at the House of Blues with 30 other volunteer bartenders, and half of us, if not more, shop at The BoSton Shaker. But almost no one shops here but me, and so I bought the mini sudoku, mini chef and paring knife set that were being offered here once, in Cheetah (they were also in zebra and giraffe). No one has ever said, “Oh, no, these are mine.” about THOSE knives. They’re most definitely known in the bartending community around here as Stephanie’s :wink: