Kunde Estate 2008 Viognier Four - Pack

Residual sugar does not suggest a true sweetness but viognier (Vee-on-yay) often leaves one with a floral impression that satisfies a (moderate, not super strong) sweet tooth.

I concur entirely.

I’m sure this wine will have a bright, most likely fruity flavor, with a zing-y and possibly oily (in a good way) mouthfeel and finish. There may be sweet sensations, but with 0.27% residual sugar the wine will be quite dry.

I personally enjoy (non-exclusively) sweeter wine, yet my palate finds satisfaction in whites that are dry, yet fruit-forward in flavor and aroma.

I’m confused about the list of states. This batch is from a CA vineyard. I have been able to order (and receive) WOOT wine originating in other CA vineyards. However, my state(Georgia) is not on the list for this deal. Does it vary by vineyard? Is there another state serving as a middle-man? I seek enlightenment, oh many WINE.WOOT masters.

Put me in for a “me too”

I’ve received wines from CA before (I live in Ohio). Never had a problem with receiving wines from any state.

What gives?

Because it’s dependent on the winery’s license to sell wine to your state.

Dammit that makes too much sense.

I wanted to hear something a bit more woot-ish!

Thanks for the info!

Yes, it varies by winery.

I absolutely adore the Kunde wines but around here I only see a red now and then and those are spectacular.
I am in for two especially since it is a viognier.

Hmmmm - I do love Kunde, they make a fabulous Barbera. Ive not had much of their whites. Would love to hear from someone who has had this wine…

My only experience with Viognier are the AWESOME late harvest dessert wines from KR. What type of white wine would these most closely compare to?

"Pairing Cheese with Viognier - Viognier grapes, with their floral notes, seem to blend best with aged cow’s or goat’s milk cheeses. More specifically, try Viognier with bloomy rind and washed rind types. Avoid sheep’s milk cheeses, which result in a gamey flavor when paired with Viognier, as well as blues, which overall result in disappointing pairings.

About Viognier - Of noble descent, the Viognier grape is most famous for its luminous Rhone Valley wines such as Condrieu and Adreche. Often overlooked for Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc, Viogner and its unique flavors, comparable full body, and food-friendly nature are becoming fast favorites. Viognier is fermented in stainless steel tanks, resulting in a crisp, price, aromatic wine with hints of peach and apricot; as well as in wooden barrels, resulting in a spicy wine with notes of anise, tangerine and fig. The variations in Viogniers is not only a result of the aging process, but also the also the source of the grapes. Those grapes that are grown in warmer climates result in sweeter wines, while cooler regions produce grapes and wines with a higher acidity. In either case, Viogniers should be consumed while fairly young."

This is not meant to be a flippant answer, but it would most closely compare to other examples of Viognier made as dry as this. Seriously, I have long enjoyed the floral, fruity aspects of this grape, but it’s a struggle to come up with a different wine with which to compare it. My personal take on this offer is that it will probably enhance many an outdoor occasion this summer, and at this price point for a wine made by such a well-respected winemaker, I don’t see how I’ll resist, SIWBM notwithstanding.
EDIT: Oh, and if you enjoyed KR’s LHV as much as that, you definitely owe it to yourself to try a dry one, and you won’t likely find this quality at this price elsewhere.

It might be interesting to see if SB chimes in on this one. After all, they grow their grapes under similar conditions, since Wellington is only about 2 minutes down the road.

Last wooter to woot: alfisti13

Had to jump in on this one, as Viognier is one of the few whites we both enjoy, being a red fan and all. Thanks, woot!

So I have what will probably amount to being a novice shipping question, but I have to ask:

Can I purch the Monday offering and todays offering and only pay one flate rate shipping charge (i.e. $5 total)?

I’m thinking no, but both offers are so tempting so I thought it worth asking. Thanks in advance.

I don’t think so since they come from different wineries

Woot is generous on the shipping price, but not that generous. The true price of shipping is built into the price of the product.

But it would be cool!

I know, they are beyond generous. I was almost ashamed to ask, but I had to . . . Thanks for the info.

Yep, this would be dry, but perhaps not quite bone dry as quite a few Woots get down to the 1 g/L range. 2 or 3 g/L may be perceptible to some people, though wines aiming to be just a bit off-dry seem to go in the 5-10 g/L range.

Another factor to consider is the Brix of 26.9. That’s pretty high, though it’s probably common to harvest Viognier very ripe to get the flamboyant aromas. The ripe fruir character will probably show up in the flavors of the wine.

One thing I have to wonder about is why the listed alcohol is not higher. To get 14.1% from 26.9 Brix, the conversion rate would be .525. I’d usually expect a dry wine with a high Brix like this to fall in the 15% to 15.5% range.

No one has commented on the screw caps! Just thought I would throw that in and get a peek at my avatar.