Kyocera 2-Piece Cutlery Set - Red

Would these be good for cutting cans of soda pop in half?

Wait.
Is this the same company that makes my printer?

Kyocera’s core business is industrial ceramics. They’re the original source & still the go to vendor for ceramic knives. This set seems to be being closed-out, e.g. another source, but it is a good combination & this seems to be a great price.

Remember ceramic knives will stay sharper longer & won’t rust, but they are more susceptible to chipping & can shatter if dropped.

I have this set (with black handles) and love them. Kyocera will sharpen them for the cost of shipping and handling more or less (I think it’s $10.) So far they are holding their edge.

You just can’t use them for boning as bones risk chipping the blade.

Ceramics are brittle so I don’t think you want to use them for cutting soda cans. I have these knives. They cut foods like potatoes (regular or sweet), carrots and apples LIKE BUTTER. Pretty cool.

May thy knife NOT chip and shatter!

Heh, couldn’t help myself. On a more serious note, as a cooking knife geek, there are things worth noting here.

Pros:

Sharp: These are very, very sharp indeed. They do their job well.

Maintenance: They need less maintenance than steel knives. You can also leave them dirty longer without concern. I wouldn’t, but you can. I’m just picky like that.

Handles: I personally really like the handles on these. They’re shaped nicely and are very comfortable in the hand.

Price: Really sharp knife for far less than a steel knife.

Cons:

Chipping: See my (very geeky) opening line! Baby these. I’m not kidding. The drawback of ceramics is that they can chip chip chip very easily. That ruins the knife, and unless you can find all the chips, also ruins the meal. You don’t want to be chewing on a hunk of this bad boy.

Weight: Unless you’re a professional chef or you have arthritis, you’re fairly unlikely to be doing so much knifework in a day that the weight of a metal blade is fatiguing. I personally much prefer the heft and behavior of a metal knife.

That said, if you have arthritis, buy these! If someone you love has arthritis and likes to cook, buy these for them now! What are you waiting for??? Chop chop! (comedy gold again!)

Seriously though, Kyocera Ceramics were wonderful for my grandmother, and were one of the most important kitchen adjustments that allowed her to keep cooking after her hands got worse. The handle shape is also very good for this. These are an incredible game-changer for folks who have arthritic hands and love to cook.

These have phenomenal reviews on Amazon (black handled set): Kyocera Revolution (Black) at Amazon

HOWEVER, camelcamelcamel says they’ve been below $40 on Prime shipping as recently as November 16th, and under $45 several times in the past 6 months. So I guess this doesn’t feel like a special price, but it’s not terrible and it is currently active…

(edited to try and make a hyperlink)

and my phone ???

And my camera?

I’m just not comfortable with a knife that is likely to snap if my wife drops it or tries to leverage between bones by twisting when picking a chicken.

Plus I installed a magnetic knife holder in the kitchen because she was otherwise prone to tossing the knives in the silverware drawer. I presume ceramic knives don’t stick to magnets.

And my axe.

Was waiting for someone to say that. :slight_smile:

Will these cut through the static on my phone?

I don’t know about differences in quality, but recently our local Costcos have had a set of three KitchenAid ceramic knives for about $30.

And my power drill?

no. they are only good for relatively soft foods and bone free meats. They are extremely sharp, but quite brittle.

the 6" chef’s is perhaps my favorite knife, and I have some very nice steel cutlery. It often retails for over $60 alone. Note that these are much sharper than steel will ever be, but only work on relatively soft foods. Great for vegetables. They are so sharp, you can even cut translucent slices of cheese. Steel seems to work better for meat.

They are extremely brittle, so they cannot be torqued or twisted, and the blade will chip if you scrape it sideways on the cutting board. For where they work (veggies…) nothing beats them.

I have both of these knives, in black. Supposedly the white ones don’t stay sharp as long (according to Kyocera), but Consumer Reports says the white ones actually cut better, which is hard for me to believe given how amazingly sharp mine are. You will accidentally cut yourself with these knives, probably not even when you are cutting food. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve cut myself washing these knives.

That said, the chef’s knife is not the best for cutting. I prefer what I think they call the “slicing” knife. The extra blade height on the chef’s knife doesn’t make cutting anything easier but is more awkward to handle in some ways, I find myself trying to twist it more than I do with the other knives, and twisting ceramic knives is not a good thing.

I purchased a set that included a paring knife and Santoku knife,which looks the same as the chef’s knife here, for about $39 on a Gold Box deal A few months ago. They are nice knives, though I always have to remind myself not to smash garlic and anything likely to damage the blades. For slicing and cutting they work well and the handles are very comfortable. I prefer a heavier steel knife for chopping though.
Definitely worth the price. They would also make a good gift if they come packaged in a nice box like mine.