Kyocera 2-Piece Cutlery Set - Red

[QUOTE=seattlekleins, post:7, topic:375840]
May thy knife NOT chip and shatter!

Great “Dune” ref—may Shaihulud pass you by.

I have a set of these I bought from a cooking store locally and I love it! It hasn’t replaced my metal knives but they are crazy sharp!

This is the santoku. The Kyocera chef’s knife is 7" long.

Kyocera does make a 7" Chef’s knife, but they also make a 6" Chef’s knife. I posted a link to this same set on another site and I’m willing to believe the description here.

It’s called a chef’s here and on Kyocera’s site (for the similarly sized and shaped 6-6.25" black handled chef’s). The blade, however, does look more like their other santokus. Their 7" chef’s looks like a “normal” chef’s. It seems the cutoff may be 6", given their other santokus are 5.5" and 4.5".

I have the 6" chef knife and love it. i paid $50.00 at the Japanese grocery store… i thought it said $24.00!!! anyway, when I first got it, i was even afraid to lightly touch the sharp knife!! but after like 8 months it is not quite as sharp but still love it because it is still sharper than my other steel knife. I think Amazon sells a ceramic knife sharpener but I am not so sure about it. anybody tried that?

I think the santoku knife is slightly smaller at 5.5 " but i don’t know how much of a difference that makes. I do like my 6" chef knife though.

Kyocera makes an electric knife sharpener (which is available on Amazon), but your best bet is probably just to send it back to Kyocera for sharpening http://kyoceraadvancedceramics.com/lifetime-sharpening/

Yeah, if you cut the wire, you’ll cut through the static, and any other audio signal. For cellphones, just cut your charger and within days, you won’t hear static. I guarantee it.

There’s so much

in this thread.

Good knives, great price!

I have this set (THANKS WOOT! … I guess “quality posts” do matter! ). They’ve lived up to my expectations, which were high. I’ve used bargain ceramic knives before and they were good but not awesome. These are awesome. While it took a while to get used to the lightness, they are now my favorite knives. The eerie sharpness also took some getting used to, but now that I’m spoiled by the effortlessness, slicing with metal knives seem somewhat strange. My favorite task is slicing tomatoes. The ability to make very thin slices has changed the way I make sandwiches (although I do sometime prefer a thick meaty slice).

I also like that fact ceramic doesn’t react with foods, i.e. it won’t oxidize vegetables. That means lettuce won’t turn brown, and apples will brown more slowly. The ceramic blade and plastic handle also means that these knives are VERY easy to clean. My biggest worry is cutting myself while handcleaning the blade.

Yes, you can get ceramic knives from many companies, including generic no-name Chinese ones. Many of them may be as good as these Kyoceras. But if you want to get the best in ceramic knives, and absolute quality control, go Kyocera. They are leaders in industrial hi-tech ceramic research. Even these bargain knives are better than the best models from some lesser companies.

If you’re on the fence, go for it. Seriously. At the very least, you’ll get to say that you own a Kyocera ceramic knife. What Shun is to metal knives, Kyocera is to ceramic knives. Plus, they stand by their products. Although this is their budget model, they guarantee it with a Lifetime Warranty and Lifetime Complimentary Sharpening just as they would with their expensive models. Yep, if your knife ever chips or breaks, they will repair it or replace. See the box cover below. It’s from these exact knives except in black.

Kyocera also claims that their proprietary Zirconia 206 ceramic is stronger and denser than the ceramic used by other companies, meaning an even more durable edge.

Thanks for that link. Ours could use some denotching (it’s still “wicked shahp” but has a few chips in the edge).

If you enjoy cooking, get a ceramic knife. You’ll enjoy cutting more than you can imagine. Just don’t bang or twist the knife blade around…it WILL break if you’re too rough on it.

According to Kyocera, they will repair or replace your knife for free if it’s chipped. See the photo I uploaded above.