Condition: Red
Product: 3 2005 Snows Lake Vineyard Barbera
CT link above

GS link below
2005 Snows Lake Vineyard Barbera

Winery website
Direct link to this wine

Oh! A fun varietal.

I haven’t had many Barberas from CA. How does it do here in the greatest state? :wink:

Does this need some time in the cellar?

Both lniks are to Grape Stoires, there is no CT link.

Barberas are one of my favorite wines. Although I have not had any La Famiglia before, other Barberas I have had blossom into Barolos after 30 minutes of breathing (or a trip through a Vinturi?). In for one!

The winery website suggests you drink this wine now until 2013. I like the bottle age on it, and btw, the price from winery before shipping is $30. Real nice discount, and the email link on the page suggests that this label is owned by Armida, makers of PoiZin.

That is correct - This article is from Cork’d

La Famiglia was bought out by Steve and Bruce Cousins from Robert Mondavi last year: Steve posted the following on Wine.woot on 8/30/06: My brother, Bruce, and I are the proud owners of La Famiglia which we purchased from Robert Mondavi early last year. Like the Mondavi’s we are of Italian descent and thrilled with the opportunity to own and market this delicious Pinot Grigio. We are a small family owned and operated business and you can check out our “roots” at www.armida.com. The La Famiglia wines are now produced here at Armida Winery in Healdsburg in northern Sonoma County. Let me know if you have any questions and we’ll do our best to answer them.

Barberas! COUNT ME IN!!! YAY! Happy start to the week. :slight_smile:

Hmmm did not try the PoiZin, but this sounds like another great deal i’m in for one! Yea this Wine Woot thing is really overflowing my cellar.

Cheers!

Can’t find any review except for this one!! :confused:

I thought La Famiglia was bought out in 2005, making this from the new people with no history instead of the Mondavis? If it’s a traditional Mondavi I’m interested, but if this is the first batch from n00bs…

If you look a scant 4 posts above yours you will find out that the new owners are not noobs at all.

That doesn’t answer when it changed over, and compared to the Mondavis, they’ve been doing it over 30 years less.

I’m not sure I’d call the Cousins from Armida n00bs… It’s not clear who was the winemaker, but it’s probably a good bet it’s the same as Armida’s winemaker.

I thought the offer was pretty clear the Cousins are responsible for this wine. (As already mentioned they’re the Armida PoiZin folks.)

This offering intrigued me until I read “Complex nose, full of earthy cigar.” Although I’m just getting to know wines, I sure know how my nose feels about cigars. Maybe they’re different when they’re not lit, but for now I’ll take a back seat and enjoy reading this week’s postings.

AcousticLevitation : A Journal of Music, Arts & Culture. No ads. Musician’s Gifts: Free music downloads.

I have been to this vineyard, one of my favorites in Napa region. When Mondavi had this, they produced fantastic Barberas, one of my favorites. I visited this vineyard after it was purchased and still fantastic. This is a great price on a great wine - I ordered the maximum of 3 (9 total). You just can’t go wrong!
By the way, if you go to Napa, the street leading this vineyard is accross from the Napa Deli on the main highway. Last time I was there, they had a nice picnic area that has breathe taking views.

Courtesy of CJ:

So join or create a Wine.Woot gathering now!!!

For all those new to “Labrat” and/or “rattery” ……

Cheron98 has kindly put all information about the Labrat program at the beginning of the Labrat Thread (where she kindly and graciously cross-posts all the labrat posts into one convenient place).

She has the rules of “rattery” there. As well as a listing of the labrats and offers from June 2 of last year (2008).

Only the Monday offer will have labrats. Offers later in the week will not.

In essence, once you sign up for the labrat program, you are eligible to receive an additional bottle from the current offer (via FedEx overnight) if:

a) Sign up for the labrat program (See WineDavid’s Signature line).
b) You purchase the new Sunday/Monday offer before the deadline (usually 10 am CT, Monday).

There are no set guidelines other than doing your best to present your opinions about the labrat bottle in a timely manner (since there may be some people on the fence about the current offer, and are waiting for your opinions). You can be as creative (or not) as you want. Read thru some of the previous labrats to get an idea. There are a lot of humorous reports, as well as serious ones.

Some have used the UC Davis Wine Scoring System and others have used the Parker 100 point system. Others have just used “It’s Good!”. There is no right or wrong way to report.

For a quick overview of the majority of wine scoring systems, the DeLong Wine Ratings Review is available as a PDF.

DeLong Wine has been on Wine.Woot before with their Varietal Chart and Tasting Books, and sponsors The Century Club for those who have tasted over 100 different varietals (and we have several Wine.Wooters as members, with others on the verge). Check out Century Club thread in the World of Woot Wine for more info. And they’ve added a “Doppel Member” status for those who have tasted over 200 different varietals. They are supposed to have a new form (Word and Excel) in May to help with the 200.