La Vie Vineyards Pinot Noir Duo

I was on the right track (couple who met @ UCSB), but I only had about 5 min to spend seaching (busy weekend!)

Hmm, I just got the Target Riedel pinot noir glasses at my shower yesterday…they’re pretty! I think it’s a sign that I’m supposed to order this. Am interested if this is a drink now or hold for a few years…I struggle with that on pinot.

New to woot with a couple of questions:
what is all this business about hints and records??
do you get a special prize (a cookie?) for being the first to woot or just bragging rights?
looking forward to wooting with the rest of you.

Woot is all about bragging rights. And bragging rites. All in good smirky fun. wine dot woot is much classier than it’s ancestor. But we all enjoy a moment of sophomoric humor now and again. Just wait until you really, really want to type “co****ol!”

Hmmm . . . not sure about $25 a pop for PN, especially with a screw top (won’t augment my cork collection). I did enjoy the Coppola, though. I think my $$$ is going for more yummy Barolo… See ya next week, Woot!

hrmm… I’m quite tempted, though I’m dreading the Cork vs. Screwtop debate that is bound to resurface this week.

Greetings from Ariel & Angela Lavie!

Both of these Pinots are from reputable regions in California; Santa Lucia Highlands is in Monterey County, and Santa Barbara County was made famous by the movie Sideways. & yes, our wines are packaged with stelvin screwcap, which we prefer to the 2.25" cork from our previous vintages.

Let us know if you have specific questions.
Cheers!
La Vie Vineyards

The debates are getting shorter & shorter as more and more of the community becomes educated on the merits of screwtops and accepts that more and more excellent wines are going to be screwed as time goes on.

There will be the ‘Sideways’ debate, questioning the value of these wines vs. plain & simple Hollywood demand elevating the price point.

What I’d like to see discussed a little this week is the whole ‘Clone’ terminology surrounding Pinot Noir. It’s the only wine I’ve come across that regularly uses that term and I’m curious what the history is.

Oh well, in for 2. I need to make a trip to CT soon!
EDIT: I am in for the clone discussion. What are the differences between the 2 clones used in different offerings this week. How much difference will they make in taste?

From what I can discern on the Cornell website, clones are from the original French vines. There are a number of Pinot Noir clones, each with varying characteristics. Some vineyards have their own clones. The Cornell researchers tested all of them to determine if which were best for NY state growin. The tests spanned a 4 year period, charting cold hardiness, yields, rot resistance, and color, aroma and taste. Interestingly, the Pommard, widely used in Oregon, fared poorly in NY. It’s a good read.

I really favor OR Pinot Noirs, but I may cave by Sat.

can you link us out to the cornell site you’re talking about? i’d love to read more…

There are actually over 1,000 clones of Pinot, which historically resulted from field collections over the years. There are variations in plant morphology such as berry size, cluster, shape, color pigments, growth habits, etc.

In our region (Sta. Rita Hills), because most of the vineyards are new, they are planted to the newer selections being offered by nurseries since the mid-90s. Although many of the older clones are still producing excellent wines.

These 2 wines are primarily made from an older clone Pommard that tends to be less color rich but more structured. Blends (or cuvees) make the best wines, because they are more complex. Because of this, many vineyards have multiple clones planted.

La Vie Vineyards

This “clone” thing is completely new to me. Can you steer me to some on line info that will give a quick introduction, so that I can ask intellegent questions?

Thanks and welcome to woot.wine!!

are these pinots more earthy or fruity?

Welcome to wine.woot! One question that always comes up sooner or later is about the drinking windows on these wines?

Thank you :slight_smile: Looking forward to a great week!

Here it is:

Just don’t try to drink a killer wine in your cave :slight_smile:

clayfu,
Wanted to sign up for “The List” to check out the Sea Smoke wines. What’s your email that I should use as who referred me? PM me.
-Pengu1n

Welcome! Thanks for jumping in! We love to hear from the winemakers on this site, although we tend to pummel you into juice with all of our questions. Just ask winegirl and sonomabouliste! But once you get to know us, you’ll keep coming back. Kind of like a secret vice…:slight_smile:

Well, I thought I saw a few marbles mixed in with my last wine.woot. I had no clue they might be yours. Should I send them back, or keep them for my own use?

Please return, along with your wine.woot! :slight_smile: