Ladera Vineyards Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon - 2 Pack

After having some wines on here where there was no participation from the staff, it is much appreciated when we see you guys on here answering questions. Cheers!

Just to say hi, might have got a little ambitious just responding to the first question. Ladera Dan here, as I am know as in parts of the country at this point. Want to say hi and thank you for the posts so far. I hope you like the offer and it is very exciting for us to be on Wine Woot and being able to interact with people from all over the US. I hope I can answer any questions you have, though I hope you enjoy the wine as much as we enjoy making it.

Yes, but what on earth is he on about? :sunglasses:

Thanks for the thorough answer! Love to learn about the process. Sounds like you have a goal in mind, yet are pragmatic about the process.

Do you also add SO2 during the cold soak, or is low temperature alone enough to prevent fermentation from taking off? I’m assuming you can’t add too much SO2 or it will kill the yeast, but maybe you can add a little without murdering your beneficial microbes.

+1, most of the Black Tie Buys have been quiet on the winery participation front. Looking forward to good discussion on this one.

We are what I call a grape friendly winery. In that I mean that we are a gravity flow winery, utilizing mainly open top fermentation practices, and also not fining or filtering our wines.

So the short answer is…no… we do not filter our wines.

Keep them coming this is fun!

Pretty sure that would be all of them. :slight_smile:

First of all Dan, thanks for jumping in (and doing so immediately)! Participation always wins points around here.

A rather basic question, but one that you obviously know about: what benefits do you get from cold soaking prior to fermentation?

By the way, I love unfiltered wines. :happy:

Party at your place? :wink:

We don’t need to add anything during the cold soak. The cold in general helps to keep the fermentation at bay, and is reason we pick in the morning and why some people pick at night, but if there is too much heat, the cold soak will not stop fermentation and it will start no matter what you do. Thus, cold soaking does not prevent fermentation, but just delays it if the fruit, or crushed fruit is cold enough.

Love it! thanks for the instant and obviously expert participation. So, what are your favourite Cabs from other wineries? (and you got that pH and TA data on these wines while you’re at it? :slight_smile:

For you anytime! I still owe you for the balasmic :slight_smile:

excellent! I detect some cellar-carnage :smiley:

The main thing you are aiming for is deeper color in the wine.

Working on the ph and ta. Don’t have that data at home, but my sister, our assistant winemaker will be on tomorrow, and I am sure she has that data. I am flying to Vegas tomorrow for an event there so wont be at the winery. Sorry :frowning:

Man, I am so disappointed now… I just paid all my bills in hopes for clearing enough $$ to go in on this, but alas I cannot partake. :frown:

Other cabs I like are… anything Howell, just cause I love the area (OBVIOUS). Pride, Terra Valentine, Viader, Miner, Phelps Napa (wish I could afford the insignia or the backus), Cliff Lede, ummmmm as far as an everyday drinker maybe St. Super, Duckhorn, Whitehall Lane or Franciscan.

Could name more but would prob take a lot of space. :slight_smile:

Do you happen to have any highly recommended food pairings for these wines?

I am going to try and squeeze out some cash tomorrow after SWMBO and I discuss…

Wow, I’ve never done a black tie, but winery participation (and the relatively affordable price point) may force my hand. Looking forward to tomorrow’s commentariat :smiley:

Sold, in for 3. Not usually a Napa drinker, but I’m intrigued.