Laptops

I like the Lenovo W-510, and I was hoping I could get some information on the condition it is being offered in.

Is this a two year old off-lease machine? Or is it just a return? Who refurbished it, and what does that mean, exactly?

Assuming it is off-lease, does it have a new battery? Any new components? Or is this simply a two or three year old laptop that was beaten up in an office, and sold as-is?

Thanks for any information you can provide!

Well, I was assured via support as well that this laptop has the 1920x1080 resolution, so I’m going to let it come in and go from there. Would be very pleased if it arrived as described.

Best of luck!

Is it just me, or does the photoshopped hand on the touchscreen laptop make it look like it’s a 27" laptop?

That main close up shot at the of the front laptop page shows a pretty sweet profile. But do any of these ASUS models have a Display-port? Edit: apparently on at least one of the sold out 13" models.

While the Zenbook is sweet-thin, does it have something to hide on its right edge profile? And the crappy CG photos wouldn’t do any product justice.

Aww where were these a week ago? I got tired of always missing the Zenbook Primes as soon as they went on sale so I found one locally (same price as Woot thank goodness)… UX31A. I got the i5/128SSD/4GB/13" model.

It’s amazingly thin, everyone’s commented on how they can’t believe it’s as thin and light as it is.

The screen on it (1080p IPS) is absolutely stunning on this small screen. It’s viewable from nearly 180* next to it and still crisp and bright.

I have it set for max power savings when on battery (it chugs along at barely 900Mhz LOL) but when plugged in, I have it set for max performance and it’s FAST for such a small form factor. I got about 5 hours off it doing medium to somewhat heavy work on it on battery power (lots of Lightroom, photo processing, web surfing, etc). I would certainly recommend boosting the performance up in your windows settings if you’re going to need it for heavy duty battery power computing though. (expect shorter battery life though).

I’ve only used the wifi so far and haven’t tried out the VGA/Ethernet dongles it comes with. I plan to buy the HDMI cable for it though so I can hook it up to a larger screen for out-of-the-office photo edit sessions.

This is the first time I’ve ever had the experience of carrying around a tiny laptop and letting it sleep/hibernate (I ALWAYS disable this stuff, it never works) and so far so good. It instantly wakes up with all my stuff still open and ready to go, it only takes a few seconds for it to stretch and yawn and it’s ready for work.

I am completely happy with this thing. My ONLY gripe is the non-upgradable RAM (soldered on)…but I believe the newer model up sold here has user-upgradable ram finally. Even getting this older model is still a steal at the asking price though.

Woot, I’m sorry I kept missing out on yours, but you kept my interest high, checking multiple times a day waiting for the next laptop sale LOL.

@M3947TG5, those Lenovo tiny HDs do raise suspicions of **corporate off-lease. ** And that 1st gen i5 is ancient. A company I worked for actually paid a hefty premium to stay as close to 100gb as possible.

The idea was to discourage folks from keeping anything on the HD unless it had to be mobile where there was no cellular or wifi.

The motivation was originally data protection/ownership, but after we turned on HD encryption, eDiscovery for legal issues became a huge deal. (Rigorous auto-deletion of > 2 year old data unless it had a General Counsel exception.)

For this Woot, it appears the HP ProBook is the only laptop acknowledged as off lease. Edit: there appear to be some Dell E6400 off-leases as well… warning: some of those had overheating issues causing Dell to slow the CPU!

While corporate off lease laptops can be really solid and inexpensive laptops when they are from the corporate model lines, you need to have very friendly return policies (not Woot) in case you got a lemon. And that HP is about $100 overpriced.

Thanks, BlueMaple. You guys rock! My quest for a reasonably priced laptop continues. :slight_smile:

Any thoughts on the Dell Latitude E6410? Looking at using it for school (web, papers, light gaming). Would this work well for me?

@cp1994, some Dell corporate grade laptops have historically been bullet-proof tanks for general use. Dell of course claims the following issue was resolved (I don’t know)… Google ‘E6410 overheating’

If it helps, I had a company issued loaded E6410, really liked it, did not have overheating issues with it, and don’t recall others having issues either. But we had a pretty close relationship with Dell so it could be ours were patched/whatever.

How do you tell what generation a cpu is? For instance, I was looking at the Dell Latitude E4310 13.3" Laptop, Intel Core i5-520M 2.4GHz.
I looked up the CPU on cpubenchmark.net. The Passmark CPU Mark is 2370. Can I assume this is 1st generation because I see some i3 cpus with a higher score?

@RogerB, I won’t pretend to be as expert in the spec-trivia-wars as some folks, since I try to keep it practical and in the real world.

1. Those cpubenchmark numbers, while interesting for relative comparison purposes, can be overplayed since there are many factors contributing to how a PC ‘feels’ in the real world.

2. Determining the i5 (or other iX) generations is straightforward once you have the specific CPU model: 3-digits like 460 or 560 are the 1st gen, then Intel moved to 4-digits and the first digit is the generation, so 2### = 2nd gen, 3### = 3rd gen, and 4### = 4th gen.

You can see Intel’s models at the following link:

It’s a 1st generation. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/All-Core-i5-Models/943/3
You can’t always go by passmark to determine generation. There are some lower voltage I7 that are newer generation that will get beat by I5’s in passmark. If you take into account the power (TDP) of the processor, the I7>I5>I3 regarding the amount of work done per processor cycle. The newer generations also favor higher efficiency of work per cycle than older generations. I have a I5-3210m 3rd generation that passmarks at 3805, but its max TDP is 35 watts. The I7-4650u is a latest generation, the passmark is only marginally better at 4330, but its max TDP is only 15 watts. Now there are other benchmarks that passmark doesn’t cover that will show further distinction between those 2 processors, definitely favoring the newer I7- but efficiency is the predominant advantage between the different architectures and the later generations.

the only problem with this is the waiting… I am refreshing the stuff you bought page waiting for shipping info like I do for a woot off

Pro tip: You can also check orders with Track by Reference with FedEx. I’d say probably 90% of our orders ship via FedEx.

It’s not working yet for your order but it will often show up there faster than in Stuff You Bought since we have to wait for the tracking file and upload it.

You can use FedEx’s “Track by Reference” feature to get tracking info using your order number. Your order number is on your order details which you can get via Stuff You Bought. Leave the Account Number blank. Enter your order number in the reference box. Next, select your country and enter your zip code. Click TRACK and voilà, you may have tracking info.

Any updates on the UX32A from purchasers regarding the screen discrepancy are welcomed.

Anyone get the laptop shipped yet? 6 days later still shows as packaging for shipping, nothing on fed ex reference number either?

I got mine on the way hope to get it at Friday. I ordered the 13in zenbook with touch.

Mine should be arriving tomorrow. I’ll post the specs of the model that I receive!

Just received mine. 1366 x 768… Woot, I will be contacting you.

I bought the T-410 the last time around.

If this is the same unit, some of the specs listed for it are under-spec’d: the screen resolution is actually 1440x900 and there is a built-in multi-card reader. The drive is an Intel X25-M Series SSD.

It looks and works just like a brand new machine. I’m pleased.

Processor Intel(R) Core™ i5 CPU M 520 @ 2.40GHz: 6.8
Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB: 6.8
Graphics Intel(R) HD Graphics: 4.5
Gaming graphics 1696 MB Total available graphics memory: 5.3
Primary hard disk 106GB Free (144GB Total): 7.7