Lasko Low Profile Room Heater

http://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/eaea4769-baad-433b-a890-dc2e2fa6bc4a.jpg

Lasko Low Profile Room Heater
Price: $44.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard OR $10 Two-Day OR $20 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Wednesday, Feb 25 to Thursday, Feb 26) + transit
Condition: New

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](http://home.woot.com/offers/lasko-low-profile-room-heater) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Lasko Low Profile Room Heater) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=Lasko Low Profile Room Heater)

4.2 Stars over at Home Depot

Time to check out the product page

Anyone have any comments on heaters in general. Ive been shopping around, and occaisonally waiting for one to pop up on woot. We have a split level house with the family room on the very bottom. So it has one side open to the entire rest of the house going up 1.5 floors, so it gets 5-10 degrees colder down there.

Ive tried reading up on infrared, convection, etc, and have yet to figure out which would work best in my scenario. Really we dont need the entire room warm, but at least the couch area would be nice. So since you guys see all these heaters come and go hoping someone may have some insight

Well I’ll give you my two cents worth. I’ve been heating my house for several years with the oil filled heaters. So as to not burn the place down you need to know what outlets are on what circuit breakers so you don’t overload the circuit. This particular heater on here today won’t work because it has only one heat setting 1500 watts. Your 15 amp circuit is only good for 1750 watts load. So if you use these your circuit is fully loaded with just this heater. You can’t safely run much else with only 250 watts available. So what I use is the oil filled heaters. I put each one on it’s own circuit and set them to low setting which is typically 600 watts. This leaves an additional 1150 watts available to other things on that same circuit. In the kitchen dining area that circuit is 20 amp. So I set that heater to the 900 watt level. That still leaves 1400 watts available to other appliances. We have cheap electric rates here so I actually save money doing this. I still need the furnace of course when it gets really cold. But it doesn’t run very often with the electric heat supplementing it. One thing you need to do when you start doing this is, check the outlet your plugged into to see if it’s getting hot. Slightly warm is ok. If it’s getting hot you need to stop using the heater and see why. Loose connection inside the outlet box could be an issue. I also check the circuit breaker box periodically and make sure none of the breakers are hot. I use the back of my fingers to touch the surfaces and see if any feel more than just warm. Again if any of them do then you need to stop using the heater and figure out why. I’ve been safely doing this following this method for several years now. I always check the heaters periodically and the circuit break box multiple times at each season start up. You will be surprised at how much heat they put out even at 600 watts.

I have one and like it. It’s nearly completely silent. Took about 5 hours to heat a decent sized office from 68 degrees to 80.

I know that’s pretty vague… I bought it because I needed a quiet one (with no fan). This fit the bill perfectly.

I would buy this for my office but electricity is really expensive in my Midwest state. I would be paying $300 a month to run this heater.

I second your vote on the oil filled heaters. The best part about it is once the room reaches the desired temperature and it “clicks off”, the heater is still giving off heat for quite a long time. Compared to a fan or ceramic heater that no longer gives heat when it turns off. This results in a more steady, constant heat that, while slower than a fan heater, keeps the warm much more consistently warm.

For looks, the IR ones in a nice case are OK if you can get a deal. Good around kids and pets.

The oil filled ones that look like radiators retain heat so they seem more “even” when the thermostat turns the unit off.

The blower types may heat faster, but produce the same heat.

I would look at the government safety recalls on heaters, as some of the smaller units that are supposed to shut off when tipped over do not turn off. I blew the whistle on one that fell over and scorched a tile in my kitchen and did not turn off. The company would love to have you think that it was a unique exception. It was a cheap import.

I use one of these low-profile units to slide into an area in the (unfinished “dug”) basement of this 115 year old house to keep pipes from freezing about twice each winter.

Aside from that, I prefer oil filled ones and one fancy-looking IR one I bought here that has a 68 degree 750 watt “eco” mode for the bedroom.

It should be noted that, unless there is something seriously wrong with the wiring in your home, overloading a circuit is not a problem as circuit breakers are designed specifically to avoid that situation. If you overload a circuit, the breaker will pop. In fact, the NEC stipulates that a breaker pop at 80% of the rated load, so the chances of a house-fire caused by overloaded wiring are nil.

Watt figures are largely fictional, as the voltage on your line fluctuates quite a bit. If you measure 115.0 get out now – you’re living in The Matrix. Mine’s over 120V right now, and dips below 100V in summer when everyone’s A/C is giving the grid a workout. Try to compare current ratings (Amp).

If you have a ceiling fan, you should be able to run it in reverse at a low speed. This will take the heat that has gathered at the top and force it down the walls. If you don’t have a ceiling fan, you might consider one. It will help you out both in winter and summer.

Nothing about the heater, just loved the product description today.

All my rooms are high-profile. Will this still work?

+1 for Oil Filled heaters.

I’ve used all types of electric, gas and kerosene heaters and found the best performing and safest one was the oil filled.

I bought the Dyson Blue refurbished on a woot-off and am very happy with it, can recommend it especially for a seating area such as you describe as I use it similarly and it’s great.

I can’t speak to this heater, but I’ll give you my experience.

I wanted an alternative to heating the whole house via the heat pump when all family members are in the same room. I purchased a 1500 watt space heater that looks slightly larger than the one listed here from Home Depot. A few things to keep in mind…

*If you want it to heat up a room fast, you’re out of luck. These things take a while to work, especially in larger rooms. If the room is fairly small and self contained, which it doesn’t sound like the case, then it will warm up faster.

• These don’t kick off as much heat as you think (or often the manufacturer claims). For mine, if you’re sitting within a foot of it you can feel the warmth. Any further out and the impact is barely felt until it has been on for a while.

*These will not replace your whole house heater under any circumstance. It is meant as a supplement, not a replacement.

I enjoy running my heater when the situation calls for it. I decided not to run it recently when the outside temperature was around 0 and doing so could have resulted in the basement pipes freezing because the upstairs (where the heat pump sensor is located) thought it was warm enough.

…I never comment on anything on the internet, but whatever.

I have this heater and I live in a horrifyingly cold place. It managed to keep my apartment at 72F when it was 0 outside. So…I like it. Got it from amazon a year ago.

COLD SPOTS IN HOUSE

Some cold spots happen when the air in the home can not circulate.

I had that problem with a ranch house with finished basement. The rear bedrooms were always chilly in the winter and the finished basement was cool/stuffy…

SOLUTION: Install vents in the floor. Easy to install yourself. Now the air can circulate. Solved the cold spots in the rear bedroom also greatly improved heat and air circulation in the finished basement.

Just my 2 cents…