Laura Zahtila Dry Creek Zinfandel Vertical

I just updated CellarTracker to reflect a drinking window for the 2007 vintage to 2010 - 2014.

I’m so pleased to be able to not only supply the wine, but make it, talk about it, sell it and otherwise be a part of the whole Woot process. Please continue to ask questions and let me know what you think. I’m always interested in critical thought, and this is my first, okay, second, foray into the labratless world, so everyone’s that hasn’t tasted it needs to trust me on how it’s going to come out!

The winemaker indicated a cellar period of 7 years for each vintage, which would put the 05 at 2012 and so on.

im always light on zin in my stash and im just a sucker for confident winery participation. im in for uno

Hi laura!

I’m wondering about the 05… 15% and pH3.9. I’m wondering how you achieve balance with data so ripe! With the low avid will not the alcohol dominate somewhat?!

I ask because you prefer the claret to the raisin, so your philosophy must have a reason here!

Many thanks, and still learning…

I’m certainly no afficiando on what Cellar Tracker thinks, but I will say, again, zinfandel has a shorter window than most any other, big ass, red varietal. Higher alcohols translate into shorter lifespan, IMO. These wines are all under 15.5, not an easy level to achieve in Zin. It will make them a bit longer in the tooth, but still, at 15.0, 15.2, you’ve got to believe that the window starts out partially closed. So, drink them, don’t wait. My own newsletter has an article called “Drink or Hold”. Michael and I, and a few others, check out the longetivity of all of my wines, giving you our best opinion on where the oldest are…these are some of my youngest, but I’ve already posted my opinion on drink vs. hold.

The alcohol’s not dominating, yet. As i’ve said, it’s a “drink now” wine. Wait too long, and yes, you’ll get the alcohol killing the fruit. The 2005 is not there yet, approaching peak, still very fruity, so another year is fine, probably two, I try to err on the short side you don’t get caught in what you talk about, the overtaking of fruit.

Thanks Laura for all your input. I’ve already ordered 2 and am excitedly waiting to drink them!

One other thing before I hit the sack, I’ve been almost begging Dave to take on my zin for the better part of three years. It’s my signature wine, what I’m known for. He finally said yes. So, let’s not disappoint …methinks he thinks zin is too much of a hard sell, at about $20m a bottle this is a STEAL, you really ought to try and show him and all those other guys behind the scenes at AmazaWoot that Zin sells!!! IMO! HEHEHEHEHEHEHE

Love the idea of an easy-to-buy vertical, and winery participation is great, but I am back on the fence after some browsing.

This snippet about the 2006 was discouraging. I’ve not been able to find much on the 2007 in 30 minutes of searching.

On the other hand, CT notes on the 2005 seem quite positive… but then they don’t indicate much of a price break here.

I don’t know. How does this compare to the Pedroncelli Dry Creek Zin from last summer (at $12.50/bottle)?

I’m very grateful that he finally allowed you to sell your Zin. Have enjoyed your cabs & chards from before. Dry Creek is the perfect spot to grow and Zin. The product appears to need little winemaking because the fruit is so good. Bring on more Zin!

In addition, there was 08/07/08. Not red, but really nice juice.

Mark, From a newby - how does one link up to the winewoot event calendar on Google?
deuceman

[How good is this deal?](http://bit.ly/hPdApr" title="How good is this deal?)

The 2005 vintage is no longer available on the winery website, so I used the 2006 pricing on it. So this could be your last chance to get your hands on the 2005!

Click the link above for full discount details, links, etc.

Hmm, looks like it’s acting up again and not behaving as a public calendar. Heck, I’m an owner and it’s not recognizing me. I’ll poke around on it and see if I can kick it into submission.

Try this link instead

Thread Hijack

Hi All! Please pardon the interruption: We are having a tasting in the Buffalo, NY area this Sat. and Sun. Sat. will be a blending experiment (thanks to WD) and blind tasting of California red blends. Sun. we will be heading up to Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada for the Icewine Festival. Click on the link above and come and join us! :slight_smile:

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

End of Thread Hijack

All true, the 2005 is in very short supply, this Woot will basically finish it off! The 2006 vintage has been the current release at the winery for a year. I released the 2007 vintage to my wine club in October, and we’ve been slowly working it into the line up in the tasting room and it hasn’t been submitted for review as of yet. I’m not a huge fan of sending out my wine for review so that’s not too surprising in my world.

Hello,
Is there a reason that american oak was used instead of French? I have read that they do differ and bring out different qualities in the wine.

From Wikipedia:

“American oak tends to be more intensely flavoured than French oak with more sweet and vanilla overtones due to the American oak having two to four times as many lactones. Winemakers that prefer American oak (including a long tradition for Spanish winemakers) typically use them for bold, powerful reds or warm climate Chardonnays. Besides being derived from different species, a major difference between American and French comes from the preparation of the oak. The tighter grain and less watertight nature of French oak encourages coopers to split the wood along the grain rather than saw. French oak is then traditionally aged or “seasoned” for at least two years whereas American coopers will often use a kiln-dry method to season the wood. Long periods of outdoor season has a mellowing effect on the oak that kiln-dry methods have difficulties replicating. The sawing, rather than splitting, of American oak also enhances the differences between the two styles due to the rupture of the xylem cells in the wood which releases many of the vanillin aromatics and lactones responsible for characteristics like the coconut notes.”

Peer Wellington’s great Barrel Blog

Hm… with the NG stating that its more tanic than Pinot noir, but less than Syrah… that would put it on the lower scale of powerful reds (cab, syrah) shouldnt that contridict using american oak then? Since the exert points to using american oak for powerful reds?