Laura Zahtila Vineyards Napa Cab Three-Pack

Why thank you

And – eek! – CT is down for maintenance at this writing!

Sells for $33 on the winery web site, and it’s currently $24.98 on sale at WineLibrary (reg $30.99). $20 a bottle for a mid-range Napa Cab probably makes this the best price around at least.

iByron

Laura,

Before you get bombarded with the usual, awesome, highly-specific questions, can you say a little about your technical approach in general, and the style of these cabs in particular?

(I’m already in for one, and contemplating more…)

Thanks!

Opps didn’t see you, looks like we posted at the same time. I have some questions I would like to have answered:

Add to that, what kinda food pairing you like with these?

You’re welcome. I am too lazy to make it an instant link. Only one review and they gave it a 91.

Hmm, the WL bottle looks to me like the Beckstoffer Cabernet, not this one. (And a good price, to boot!)

Wow, that’s quick! Welcome Laura!

Would this be considered a “big” Napa style Cabernet, or is it on the lighter end? 15.1% alc notwithstanding of course. :slight_smile:

iByorn

Hi All - (Laura Zahtila WineMaker here!)
Alcohol isn’t that high for this vintage of Cab - we are all in at 14% or higher these days. I will say that without the big oak hit, this wine is fruity now and very drinkable, so, the alcohol is diminished and it will cellar well - the best of all worlds!

In for one, I need some under $30 wines after all that RPM wine-tour damage. It’s remarkable that after that I need to buy MORE wine…

If you had to give a drinking window, what would you give it? 0-5 years, 3-10, etc…

No, the Beckstoffer is on sale for $15 more (regular price is $49.99, making it a better deal at WL). They just got lazy about the labels. Search for “Zahtila” and they’ll both come up.

Hi Laura, Thanks for staying up for the launch of your wine offering. You will love this community. Intelligent (did I say that?) and sometimes comical banter abounds.

My question: Can you comment on the following line in the wine.woot description?

Welcome!

Question: I noticed you used French Oak and 30% new. Any specific reason on the 30%, or on using French Oak?

It’s big, but not too much in your face. With a little decanting, it goes a long way!

“iByorn” You haven’t been drinking have you?

Ah, you’re right of course! If I can taste this in time, I would love to get a few of the Beckstoffer for comparison. I’ll have to check locally…

Thanks for your support. I look forward to your taste of the wine!

Can we expect it to “develop” or would an expectation for it to simply “maintain” be more likely?

By “develop” I refer to what I’d usually expect when a wine, while good and even drinkable, has obvious layering of flavors that will integrate better over time. By “maintain” I mean that what integration will happen is already in place, but the wine will not begin to sag or go flat with cellar time.

Probably not standard definitions, but I hope I’m being clear.

iByron

My goal is to let the fruit show thru without an oak hit - 30% new and only 20 months on oak means it’s drinkable now and cellar happy too!