Least used seasoning?

Least used seasoning?

Ironically, mace and nutmeg come from the same plant.

How can y’all afford saffron to use it so often?!?!
Ironically, star anise and saffron tie for last, but only because I hate anise.

That’s what I’m sayin… That Sh!t ain’t cheap!

I think people chose star anise because they don’t know what it is… but they have heard about saffron, but they have never used nor priced it…

I remember a Food Network competition where the beginner cook dumped something like $2500 worth of saffron on the plate as a “garnish” The judges were horrified. :rofl:

1 Like

OMG!!!

Guilty. I didn’t think it was a real thing. Thought Woot was messing with us again.

1 Like

Old school candy and cake recipes used it back in the day.

1 Like

Star Anise is also used in phở, Vietnamese noodle soup, which is popular. So you may be more familiar with it than you thought.

I’m surprised to see Mace leading the pack, considering it’s so popular in Portland right now.

1 Like

Ouch

I remember that. Worst Cooks in America. That show used to be great/horrifying, but then they started to go for characters who could be so annoying.

2 Likes

Just checked my spice rack. I think I’ve only used the Chinese Five Spice once.
Most of my collection is from Penzey’s. I have a lot of blends. There are a few that they had as freebies with another purchase. Some I don’t use too often. Seems the ones with shallots throw me. Not a fan of the smell, I guess. Their season salt just isn’t the same as Lawry’s. Most used (other than salt or fresh cracked pepper) would be Penzey’s Italian Herb or McCormick Spicy Montreal Steak seasoning.

My world is Garlic powder, Chili Powder, Dill and smoked salt.
Second string: Onion Powder, Oregano, pepper and MSG.
Baking Team: Ceylon Cinnamon, Vanilla, Peppermint, Pumpkin pie spice.

I can’t remember because I don’t use it but I know it’s sitting there for like 10 years