Lenovo 11e 11.6" Quad-Core Chromebook

Lenovo 11e 11.6" Quad-Core Chromebook

WARNING - DO NOT BUY

Device went End of Life in 2019; this means no more security updates / bug fixes / etc will be released for this device. If you are looking for a Chromebook that will “just work”, this is not what you’re looking for.

If you’re looking for a Chromebook to tinker with and know what you’re doing, carry on.

Screen resolution isn’t the greatest, but is what it is at this price point.

Woot Staff: The End Of Life date should be at the top of the specs; it’s the single most important spec when buying a Chromebook ESPECIALLY considering Chrome based devices have a limited update lifetime.

3 Likes

The End of Life information is mentioned. But, yeah, I do agree it should probably be a little more prominent.

That said, this laptop is far from useless. Lenovo’s own site explains how to install Gallium Linux on the laptop.

Looking at the Gallium Hardware Compatibility page, this laptop does appear to be supported. For reference, this appears to be the FIRST GEN 11e, so you’d use the Bay Trail download.

For those not familiar, Gallium is a purpose-built distribution of Xubuntu. If you’re familiar with the popular Ubuntu linux, this is a very slimmed down version. I’ve been running it for years on my Dell Chromebook. It’s not going to match desktop speeds or anything. But… I mean… It’s a Chromebook. So… duh.

I already have a ruggedized chromebook that I use when I’m out on the bike. Otherwise, I MIGHT be tempted to bite on this for camping, hiking, or anywhere else where I don’t want to put my daily drivers at risk of damage or loss.

1 Like

This is an exaggeration. Hyperbole helps no one.

2 Likes

I just switched to Gallium OS on an Acer Chromebook that has its updates ending in September of this year. Dual booting. So far, it’s kind of interesting to be able to run Minecraft on it. Does Minecraft run well? Ehhh, no. Maybe this quad core Lenovo would run it a wee bit better? It has more RAM so that might help.

For people who are trying to buy a working Chromebook and nothing else, this device is useless.

This is why I started adding the disclaimer " If you’re looking for a Chromebook to tinker with and know what you’re doing, carry on."

My comments/suggestions/posts about Chromebooks are almost always aimed at the “average” consumer; think someone who has no idea what Linux is and has no desire to learn.

When a device has a limited shelf life, the date of expiration should be at the top. Where are the expiration dates printed on most food items?

The top.

Scoffs. Expiration dates on food are often difficult to read based on how and where they are printed on the packaging. Does that say Jan or Jun? Does the 19 refer the day or year?.. Eh, should be fine. Nom!

Even food on woot has the expiration buried on the specs tab. Oma's Own Mango Chips, 12-Pack
These chromebooms mention lack of updates on the features tab. Your argument is baseless.

Winner Dancing GIF

I SAID GOOD DAY, SIR!