Lenovo N22 11.6" Intel 64GB Win10 Notebook

Lenovo N22 11.6" Intel 64GB Win10 Notebook

The specs say a Braswell processor at the top but a Celeron processor under the Specs section.

Braswell is part of the Celeron family, introduced in 2016 if I remember correctly.

Stay away. Stay faaaaaaar away. Here’s why.

• Celeron Processor. Not bad on it’s own, but bad when paired with the specs in the rest of this device
• 768p screen. Yes, I know this is supposed to be a cheap device but this just makes it worse: https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/laptop-screen-resolution-ripoff
• 64GB storage. This drive will be full immediately. Like, run one set of windows updates and it’s full. In today’s day and age you don’t want anything less than 256GB of storage.

Any one of these on their own isn’t too bad but put all three together and you’ve got a recipe for a CRAP laptop. Save your money and buy something with more storage, a better processor, and a 1080p screen. Your eyes will thank you on the screen.

1 Like

Sounds about right. ChomebookDB has the Chrome version of this as being released in Feb 2016 and is being EOL’ed June 2022.

The main selling point is the durability. They’re designed to be used be elementary school age kids.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/lenovo-n-series/Lenovo-N22/p/88EM10S0689

1 Like

I agree with most of what you said (even though you just copied and pasted from your HP criticism). I could point out that you’re technically wrong about the RAM and storage… this will run one application at a time and Windows will fill 50gb on a fresh install and update. It wouldn’t technically die until you try to install O365 or run more than one application at a time. Although if someone is dumb enough to try to install third-party antivirus on this, it will be dead in the water.

On the other hand… the screen resolution is fine for a low-end machine. That Laptop Magazine article has a lot of hyperbole in it. 1080P is great, but 768p is really not a dealbreaker for a basic browsing and paper-writing device.

The Braswell Celerons are actually not that bad, though the quad core Pentium version is the best of the bunch. The screen resolution is the lowest I’d want in a 11.6 inch screen, but it’s nice and sharp at that screen size.

I agree that 64GB isn’t nearly enough storage space for even a stripped down Windows 10 installation. If I were to buy one of these I’d immediately wipe the drive and install a lightweight Linux distribution like Q4OS or Elementary.

I’m sorely tempted to grab one of the Lenovo machines as a “go-bag” laptop I can chuck in the car and not worry about it being banged up by heavy handling. The N3700 version of the CPU would be much preferred, but at this price point it’s not bad for a usable netbook.

I have on of these and the storage is not an issue if you also get a 256 gig SD card. With Windows 10, you can go into “Storage” in the Settings menu. There you can toggle switches to put all your documents onto the SD card. Also, as you add programs, chose the custom install and chose Drive “D” (the SD card) as the destination. This way, all your programs, documents and other data will be on the SD card. Only the Windows OS remains in Drive C. This makes the device quite speedy for basic tasks.

If I was content with running one application at a time, couldn’t I just have stuck with DOS?

2 Likes

If you know someone with access to download it, Windows 10 LTSC can be a better option for these systems with limited storage. You have much better control over what Windows features get installed, and a barebones install can be less than 12GB after patches and updates. Microsoft really prefers if you stick to using the LTSC on things like kiosks and such, but it works fine as a daily driver desktop install as well.

I agree. You could use it for Linux type installations, but all the hoops you’d have to jump through to use this wayyyyy underpowered machine (Passmark of 575…Yes, that’s not even 1000) for Windows is just not worth wasting money on it.

1 Like

Taken on the whole, this laptop is GARBAGE.

Name me ONE person who runs a single application at a time. Go on, I’ll wait. Because the answer is NOBODY. NOBODY runs a single application at a time on a Windows computer. Chromebook? Sure. Windows? Nope!

And updates. HA. How do you update this to the next major OS version with next to no free drive space? There’s no way.

And the laptop screen. Again, GARBAGE. There’s no reason in 2021 that screens are still 768p other than either greed or incompetence on computer manufacturer’s part.

This thing is an overpriced boat anchor and you know it.

When you buy a “new” laptop, the first thing should not be “let me expand the storage because the manufacturer was too cheap to include enough to run both windows AND Office”.

How many people who are buying this laptop because it’s cheap know this? I’d guess a VERY small amount. MOST people buying this are doing so because they see cheap and SSD, not realizing that the space will already be full from JUST the OS.

It’s a good idea, but you have to be licensed for LTSC. Most home users are not. Hell, most home users couldn’t even tell you what the differences are in the windows 10 versions; they’re not going to know about LTSC.