Lenovo Thinkpad X1-Carbon Ultrabook Laptops

Ancient Sumeria writing on tree bark???

The Sumerian used the world’s first Tablets for their writing.

http://www.duhaime.org/Portals/duhaime/images/Sumerian_Beer-Tablet.jpg

They even used an early version of a “Windows Tiles” interface!

That’s the kicker. Not in the market but I assumed it was a decent deal because I assumed it was the third generation. Woot has let us down.

+1,000,000

We purchased 70 of these 2nd gen Carbons and we’re sitting at a 50% failure rate (system board). Avoid… at… all… costs… :frowning:

If you get one make sure you get the warranty for it as you may need it!

Same here. This was our daily driver at my last job and they crapped out constantly.

I HATE the function bar (I use function keys a lot, and the touch bar has the added bonus of no tactile feedback, so you can accidentally refresh a webpage in the middle of doing something without even realizing it until it’s too late) and the keyboard layout is wack.

Funny thing is that the tablet above has a resolution just shy of the 1600x900 resolution of this $850-$900 laptop

100% agree.

I have 2 of the 2nd gen through work and both had major problems in <3 months of use. The first one just died- mother board fried and the second one decided to turn itself off unless left on a flat desk and not using the keyboard (great feature of a laptop one uses for travel). I now have the 1st gen which is offered here and so far no trouble. I have owned a number of laptops for personal use which usually cost less than $500 and refuse to die after years of abuse.

“OK” for that price is a deal killer for me. I can get “OK” with a second Chromebook.

$850+ for a sub-full-HD screen, 4GB ram and generation-old Intel graphics? Doesn’t matter if this is a “tough, commercial-grade” laptop if it can’t do much to begin with.

I don’t understand how you or anyone is “let down” considering you are (as you say) not in the market for one. You may be let down (or disappointed) if you were going to buy one because Woot said it was a third gen but later clarified that it was a second gen. I personally never assume any sales pitch from anyone to be fact. I spend a few minutes (or more) to read about what I’m buying. That sometimes will help me not feel so “let down”.

Also, the sale title said 2nd generation from the get-go. I checked on that yesterday.

Your right, but most people can get by with a 4cyl car engine but opt for the V6. If you can afford it. Tweek it to 8 and live long.

Why would a vendor of espresso machines send you pix of espresso cups? Besides, the shots of machines are in the body of the sale.

The only reason I notice is because I say, “Hey those are cool cups!” and then there aren’t any. But I really don’t need any more cups, so I guess it doesn’t matter!

You’d have to ask the companies. Example Cuisinart

So true! Bezos would have the person missing the kid’s soccer game to fix this while they are at their keyboard sobbing.

The second generation is much criticized by almost everyone. I’d go as far as to say Lenovo has probably lost a good chunk of the people who bought the second generation as continuing customers.

Lenovo Thinkpad X1-Carbon Ultrabook Laptops
$849.99–$899.99

Yeah when you click I want one, it does say

>> Lenovo Thinkpad X1-Carbon Ultrabook (2nd Generation), 14" HD+ Display, Intel Core i5 Dual-Core, 4GB DDR3, Solid State Drive, 802.11ac, Bluetooth, Win7Pro - (Your Choice)
$849.99–$899.99
In Stock. Ships in 3-5 business days.

I’m not saying you didn’t disclose it. I’m just saying that this is an inferior product that nobody should buy. especially at the price Woot is selling them.

Or is it not OK to say this anymore?

I travel to China a lot, a Chromebook wouldn’t work well there at all. I need a full blown Windows install with Office, etc. But I’m also not gaming on it either.

Totally disagree with you on that one. I travel extensively for business so lightweight, good construction, and battery life are important to me more so than SPEED. OTOH, my home office I have a full desktop, SSD, graphics card, and 40" 4K monitor for multi-tasking and play. The right tools for the task.