Lenovo ThinkPad X131E 11.6" Laptops

Does it have a webcam? Features say yes but specs say no…kinda looks like one in the pictures.

Good computer, I have the X130E not X131E, only difference I can see is the upgrade of 2 USB ports, there now 3.0

I put windows XP, 7 and 10 on it and can boot into what ever OS I need, some applications still only work or work best in windows XP.

Way back when the AMD E series low power APU’s were released the E 300 was not merely an acceptable alternative to the Intel Atom processor it was in many ways preferred. At the time the E series was faster than the Atom and offered superior HD Graphics.

Sadly, those days are long gone and by modern standards the AMD E 300 APU struggles to accomplish anything that even resembles computing. While I’m sure many will purchase this unit simply for it’s size or the fact that is is built more ruggedly than the typical laptop the AMD E 300 simply doesn’t make such a purchase worth it, in my opinion.

The Lenovo ThinkPad X131e is part of Lenovo’s educational line of laptops and is built to withstand the kind of abuse students are prone to dishing out in the daily process of going about their studies.

If you are truly interested in such a laptop I might recommend the 131e’s successor the Lenovo ThinkPad X140e with the AMD A4 5000 APU. The A4 5000 while not fast is so vastly superior to the E 300 by several orders of magnitude it’s almost laughable and still comes in at three fewer watts than the E 300.

Granted, newer laptops and tablets will blow either ThinkPad unit out of the water, but given a choice I’ll take the X140e with the A4 5000 any day of the week.

Here are the Passmark numbers for both CPU’s.

E 300
Single Thread: 342
Multi Thread: 613

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+E-300+APU

A4 5000
Single Thread: 585
Multi Thread: 1902

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A4-5000+APU

Sorry, we have to use stock photos for the images. Make sure to go by the specs.

I, too own the X130 version of this machine. Same processor,
The good:
It’s built like a tank, very rugged, mine took a spill onto a marble floor with no damage other than a small scuff.
It’s got that good feeling IBM old school keyboard as well as the finger mouse, which is much quicker than a finger pad once you get the hang of it.
Crystal clear screen…easy to look at for hours…
Great refurbisher! Have two other machines from them…One had problems and they were “all over it!” The other is almost indistinguishable from new, in looks & operation
The not-so-good:
The processor is somewhat phlegmatic, I bumped my RAM to 8 GB and cleaned out bloatware but it is still a tad slow for my liking. Perhaps that SSD will make a big difference…
If you’re not doing heavy programs, and you are patient, this is a pretty good value… as I said, it seems indestructible so it is a great younger kid’s machine as well. I liked it so much that I found a 131 model with a stronger chip and I am on it right now!

That doesn’t really answer the question. One part of the specs says it has a webcam and another part says no. Can you just simply say “yes” or “no” to the webcam?

One part of the specs says it has a webcam and another part says no. Can you just simply say “yes” or “no” to the webcam?
[/quote]

True point: Features state–Provides superior web conferencing with:… high-quality webcam.
But, Specs state—Webcam: None.

Neat trick. I would say the latter.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I’ve sent an email asking. I’ll post when I hear back.

FWIW, the specs are usually correct so I’m guessing no at this point.

[QUOTE=TheTexasTwister, post:4, topic:716167]
Way back when the AMD E series low power APU’s were released the E 300 was not merely an acceptable alternative to the Intel Atom processor it was in many ways preferred. At the time the E series was faster than the Atom and offered superior HD Graphics.

Sadly, those days are long gone and by modern standards the AMD E 300 APU struggles to accomplish anything that even resembles computing. While I’m sure many will purchase this unit simply for it’s size or the fact that is is built more ruggedly than the typical laptop the AMD E 300 simply doesn’t make such a purchase worth it, in my opinion.

The Lenovo ThinkPad X131e is part of Lenovo’s educational line of laptops and is built to withstand the kind of abuse students are prone to dishing out in the daily process of going about their studies.

If you are truly interested in such a laptop I might recommend the 131e’s successor the Lenovo ThinkPad X140e with the AMD A4 5000 APU. The A4 5000 while not fast is so vastly superior to the E 300 by several orders of magnitude it’s almost laughable and still comes in at three fewer watts than the E 300.

Granted, newer laptops and tablets will blow either ThinkPad unit out of the water, but given a choice I’ll take the X140e with the A4 5000 any day of the week.

Here are the Passmark numbers for both CPU’s.

E 300
Single Thread: 342
Multi Thread: 613

cpubenchmark E300

A4 5000
Single Thread: 585
Multi Thread: 1902

cpubenchmark A4 5000

Thank you for your time! Your post and review is of the highest quality and most deserving of the title “Quality Post”
Thanks again!

Sincerely,

Accelerator

p.s. I took the liberty of hyperlinking your cpubenchmark sites. Hope you don’t mind.

The last X131E I purchased here had a webcam

Are you talking about gaming? Please give a concrete example of the kind of thing this laptop can’t do. Most students (your claimed users) do a lot of stuff and all at once.

I’m doing digital audio editing and photo editing on a lot lower spec machine. Most people will not used much more than email, Facebook and online shopping or movies.

In for one…the 120 GB version. Gonna be dedicated to audio editing, simple website work and writing. I’m sure the keyboard won’t be as nice as the old IBM Thinkpads, but that’s too bad for me.

I like Windows 7 for the lack of “always be connected.” Of course, I could just turn off the WifI on the other machines…

UPDATE: sorry for the confusion.

The specs are correct. There is no webcam.

Most webcam lenses suck anyway. There are fairly cheap clip-ons that have Zeiss lenses, better mics and far better software. I set up one for a CEO and his image in conferences was far better than those using built-ins.

I own an HP ultraportable with the E 350 APU, a slightly faster version of this same processor, and it is slow for just about any task. Not just gaming or video / image editing but simple things like Facebook pages, YouTube videos or word processing is slow to respond.

Will the E 300 function? Yes. Will you require a great deal of patience while it slogs through even the most basic tasks? Absolutely. Can you use it for light gaming or video / image editing? No.

I think the biggest problem with the E series APU is that first it was built on a poorly designed architecture that wasn’t very efficient and second Windows tends to put a load on the APU even at idle. If this unit came loaded with Chrome or a basic version of Linux there wouldn’t be a problem. Sadly, Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 all require quite a bit of computing power just to boot and run and the E 300 just doesn’t offer enough overhead to run Windows and other programs without getting bogged down and making the user wait for long pauses even with the presence of an SSD or lots of RAM.

I"m not denouncing it entirely, but I do think that the X140e with the A4 5000 APU is a far better alternative than the X131e. The X140e is essentially the same unit with a better processor, but it maintains the rugged nature of the 131e including the rubber bumper that runs around the entire edge of the laptop.

I hope this better clarifies my previous review and answers your questions. Thank you.

Sooo… with the comments above, I’m guessing this is not going to be a suitable purchase for my grandson to play Minecraft. That’s too bad really, he needs something tough and inexpensive. Comments to the contrary? (she asks hopefully)

I’ve owned a Lenovo X131e for several years and it’s been very reliable. My X131e does not have the AMD E300 chip, but rather the Celeron 1007U, which Passmark rates at 1397. Passmark rates the AMD E300 at 613, significantly slower. As slow as my X131e operates, I cannot imagine that anyone, with even a scintilla of computer knowledge, would purchase the current offering with this antiquated operating chip. On anything of significance the computer will drag.

No comment to the contrary! Your grandson would be miserable.

Thanks for your thoughts! I’m used to using Abiword, Irfanview and Adobe Audition 1.5 which run pretty well on much older gear and I tend to run one at a time. I’m hoping the good screen and (what used to be) a decent keyboard will make the purchase worthwhile. I can always insert a USB stick with Puppy Linux on it if I feel a greater need for speed.