Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 11.6" Touch Ultrabook

A refurb surface pro 2 with an I5 for $375 or this, which is better value (ram and hard-drive similar)?

Has anyone done a side by side speed test with 2 of these, one with the original 4GB RAM, and the other with the upgraded 8GB RAM. Something tells me that it is not really necessary with a computer that has this Celeron processor and its other features, just seems very unnecessary to me. And I am one who has ALWAYS upgraded my new computers with more RAM, this was the first one I did not.

Also a few people have had problems with the upgrade, so why take the risk if it does not improve anything.

I bought one a couple of Woot’s ago. It IS a good deal. However, when I tried to upgrade with a Crucial 8gb DDR3L-1600 SODIMM, I got the problem previously mentioned: Disabled the internal battery, replaced the memory. It worked really great, until I plugged in the external power cord. The display went mostly black with a checkerboard pattern of multi-colored rectangles. Once unplugged and rebooted, the upgraded computer worked fine. Until I plugged in the external power cord again. Reinserted the original 4gb RAM and it is working just fine. Any ideas for a solution?

Lenovo says this has a UEFI installation of Windows so it ought to support dual-boot of Neverware CloudReady IF you also want it to be a “Chromebook”

bought from amazon… don’t buy. Lots of bugs mostly related to windows. Incredibly slow. Ended up returning. Maybe if you installed a clean version of a light OS.

I like mine from one of the many previous offerings, but don’t notice the easy 8GB RAM upgrade improving anything. The touchpad is a little wonky: seems to have sweet spots and sometimes takes multiple taps. The SSD is average: UserBenchmark: Samsung MZ7TD128HAFV-000L1 128GB. This rugged EDU series is also not light [compared to my same-sized Asus X205], so you’ll want to have a good grasp on it.

I had the exact same experience on all 3 lappers I bought. I ran into this thread and decided to try a different brand:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-11e-Windows-E-and-Edge/Thinkpad-Yoga-11e-20d9-Memory-Upgrade-Issues/td-p/3315312

I returned the Crucial module and have ordered this one from Amazon, should have it by tomorrow and will update:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FGNY82M/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one of these from a previous woot. And all I can say is… AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE.

First, it’s vastly underpowered for hwat it’s trying to do. Painfully slow to do, well, anything, don’t expect this to be your mobile workstation.

Second, it’s running a hacked up Tablet version of Windows 10, which can be best described as ‘half assed’. The tablet functionality is so broken, so pathetic its truly painful. Halfway through doing anything in Tablet mode, it jumps into “windows 10^H^H7” mode, and you have to mouseclickaround on it to get anything to work. Don’t expect auto-rotation or keyboard functionality to work consistently, the phrase “Consistent UX” must have been surgically removed from the MIcrosoft team developing this crap.

It’s overpriced for such an underperformer. If you want a mobile useful platform, get a Chromebook. If you want a tablet, get an iPad or a large Android. If you want a mobile workstation, get a real live Lenovo laptop. This thing is none of the above. Avoid.

Is this the “educational” model? I’m hearing less/no bloatware…just need it as an upgrade for the wife…dumb ? but can it run MS Office?

I would choose the refurb surface pro 2 for $375 (assuming everything works). Better resolution, better CPU/GPU by far, and just a better device all around. Today’s Lenovo is ok, but basically it’s a glorified touch netbook with an SSD.

Yep. Me, too. Did the $30 RAM upgrade to 8 GB and swapped out the 128 GB SSD drive for a 480 GB SSD for $98, and STILL comes in at under $500. Under $400, actually.

Love it!

It does. You can check in Administrative Tools > System Information.

No doubt…I was skeptical but ordered anyway, and I’ve been very surprised. And I didn’t even increase the RAM.

Hmm, from other posts on this site, it seems the problem may be brand specific. Other brands (Kingston) appear to work. So I went cautious and have ordered a Lenovo branded 8gb chip.

Other than the 8gb upgrade issued discussed above, the only negative I have with this Yoga is that, being an e-as-in-education model with heavy glass, rubber bumpers, etc. it weighs a bit more.

This little ThinkPad is great! I upgraded the Ram also and it works flawlessly! Also installed Microsoft Office 2016 and it works great. Really impressed.

What would be a good test? (Ideally something automated that I can repeat) Ordered a pair from this set. Windows will use any unused RAM for auto-caching, and it’ll learn what to cache as you use it (most used programs, etc) - so having the extra, even if YOU won’t use it, the system will.

Now, if all you’re running is one browser window or something, then it might not be needed. But a single stick is $25-30 on Amazon, so it isn’t an expensive upgrade either.

cool

I love this laptop. Great value here.

Is there a battery indicator light that shows when it’s charging? I have a non touchscreen version from a previous Woot that does not (only a dot in the i of “Thinkpad” on the keyboard).

How well does the touchscreen work? I like this current Lenovo but think it would be cool to have one with a touchscreen too.