Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 11.6" Touch Ultrabook

Well, it’s not a “little” Celeron. This is one of the decent ones that’s almost the equivalent of an i3. Most people hear “Celeron” and immediately discount it, but this one’s not bad.

And mine arrived with hardly any junk preinstalled… only 3 of the Lenovo programs, all of which are actually halfway decent, especially the Settings application. I installed a fourth, the System Update app, and I updated the bios and a few other things without a hitch.

Knock on wood, mine has been running great out of the box (was delivered yesterday, been playing with it since). I even did the Windows update to get it up to snuff.

I’m happy you’re happy. The fact remains that the Intel Celeron N2940 is slower single threaded than a seven year old Core Duo.

The latest i3 is more than five times faster than this CPU.

None of that has anything to do with the bad driver support or the bloatware, which exist whether or not you like the computer.

Arrgh! Bought two of these last week and they were delivered yesterday. Powered one up and used it for about six hours. Left it plugged in while I went to work. Came home tried to turn it on but it’s dead. Now waiting for an RMA from Woot. Very reluctant to give the second one to my wife for fear she’ll check out the sketchy reviews and remind me that I’m an idiot.

I don’t get it… I have had this since Feb. ok… I chose to upgrade the ssd to a 480gb that I had gotten on super secret sale… and I doubled the ram. I cloned the original install of win 10… working great! Now… I use it for web surfing, email, word processing and the ocasional Mahjongg game…I don’t use it for photoshop… i do use it as a Kindle at times…

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, this is a great little computer for the price. The one I purchased earlier had a 7400rpm HD which I swapped out with a 512gb SSD and replaced the 4gb RAM with an 8gb stick and it purrs along nicely. It’s a permanent fixture on my kitchen counter to work on with my morning coffee and later at lunch and not have to go to my main laptop. You could do far far worse for the price.

How do these compare to a basic i3 for office tasks? My daughter dropped her Asus i3 Vivobook on the power connector for the SECOND time and I’m considering a more sturdy replacement. These seem to be built like a tank compared to the Asus. She’s starting college in fall and needs your basic office/web/college projects/Netflix machine. Tons of YouTube videos of just about all Yogas but this, just curious how well it copes with having a few tabs loaded in Chrome and your typical clickbait-happy websites nowadays.

Considering how carelessly teens operate expensive equipment I’d rather get her something lower end and sturdier than something more expensive. IOW better one $300 machine a year than one $600 one every 2-3, because that one’s just as likely to get broken.

This is a nice little laptop…especially when you add a $25 stick of memory bringing it up to 8GB.

That said, I’ve been a little underwhelmed by the performance. It’s pretty slow browsing the web. Pages take a little too long for my liking to render. I also couldn’t use it as a true tablet as the alarm wouldn’t wake me up because the system would put itself to sleep - selfish.

You’d need a true surface or tablet that supports the mode that will allow it to enter very low power mode, but still be able to execute on something like a clock alarm.

Value-wise, this is a no brainer. W10 Pro itself is almost worth the amount of the entire system. It’s nice and convenient when I want to leave my work laptop at work. It does the job, just a bit slower than I’d like.

Do yourself a favor and get this much cheaper rugged i3 while it’s on sale today

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16834260735

Nice deal, but not sure “rugged” is the proper description for this. Nothing in the product description on Newegg nor in the various specs and reviews I can find online mention anything about this being a “rugged” machine… and certainly not anything as rugged as the Yoga 11e.

EDIT: after further digging, this is an educational machine, too, but the drop test is only about 2 feet.

Yet, it still gets the job done for what it was designed for. It’s also slower than the i5 in my old gaming desktop, but then, it’s not a gaming processor. Dig?

You DO realize this ultrabook is the orignal verison, and they’re on version 3 now, right? This is a straw man. Of COURSE it’s going to compare unfavorably to a CURRENT i3. Perhaps that’s my fault for not explicitly saying “a comparable time period i3” processor, but I figured I didn’t have to.

True enough, and I concede that’s a “your mileage may vary” situation. The ‘bloatware’ isn’t terrible IMO. It’s a few pieces of Lenovo system software and they’re easy enough to uninstall if you like.

As far as bad driver support, like I said, mine worked perfect out of the box and I’ve had no issues with it, even after updating the BIOS and via Windows Update, so I have no experience with that. I’ve been working with computers long enough, however, to realize that if you buy a brand name computer with some special features and you choose not to use the build of the system software they include with the computer (which has all those drivers pre-installed), then knocking the product is dishonest.

The majority of people are going to be plug and play. Most people who want to tinker with the setup are usually smart enough to realize the pitfalls and caveats and they don’t go blaming the struggles they may encounter on poor design.

So did Amazon replace the defective unit? I thought they would only replace if it was DOA…

It really depends on a couple of things. I work as an academic advisor at a large State University so for students who need to have a mobile Computing solution to take notes in class with and to surf the web OR to do library research with, this is a good option for that as well as basic word processing basic PowerPoint basic spreadsheets like Excel but you would need to either use the Office 360 online set up or expand the size of the hard drive. It goes without saying that you must upgrade the RAM which is truly an inexpensive and important upgrade!

Most college students however will need to go along with this,Lenovo a tower system that has at least 16 gigabytes of RAM an equivalent of an i5 current gen. quad core processor. Tis is due to the wide variety of programs and electronic texts students are being asked to use even in non technical majors! Consider also expansion of the ssd to at least 240gb…

I hope this helps!

sounds like it was running on battery power
check all the connectors and that the socket has power?

loose cord to powervblock or partially unplugged from laptop?

BUT WOOT is the real bummer! They will take the defective unit back but they say they don’t have a replacement. But wait, they’re still selling them. I call BS on that customer service - IT STINKS BIG TIME!

Thanks for the suggestion tried that. I spent an hour on the phone with Lenovo tech support and they came to the conclusion that it was a faulty unit. They were very helpful / attentive / knowledgeable. Unfortunately, WOOT won’t send a replacement.

Then return yours and buy another?

Sure - but it’s the principle of the thing and Woot’s position makes no sense and seems a tad duplicitous. I’ve been buying from Woot for years but it’s become a different animal since Mr. Bezos bought it out.

What is the model number ?
Looking to upgrade the ram
Need to know what type to get
Thanks

It’s the 20D9.

20d9-0027us

and your ram
http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-HyperX-1600MHz-HX316LS9IBK2-16/dp/B00KQCOV5C

Yes, major issues. I bought one from Amazon and the keyboard types double letters. Plus the touchscreen has 3-15 second delay. Unacceptable. I returned mine.