Leupold Ventana Angled Spotting Scope

that is not how you calculate apparent field of view.

based on the ISO 14132-1:2002 standard
tan ω’ = Γ x tan ω
Apparent field of view:2ω’
Real field of view:2ω
Magnification:Γ

which makes it a little less than 34.5, i think.

is this out of the normal range of 15x zoom opticals? I don’t know. i only use fixed…

I’ve got two spotting scopes, one with an angled eyepiece, and one that is straight. If you’re looking at something that is stationary, like a bird nest or a shooting target on a range, the angled eyepiece can make it easier to set it up for a comfortable position. But for cases where you will be spending much time trying to find your target, the straight eyepiece makes it much easier. Trying to find a comet, for example, where it is a slightly lighter spot against the sky, it’s nice to be able to look directly at it, then line up the scope, rather than looking down into the scope and trying to figure out where it’s actually pointing.

Seems like comments were deleted,wonder why?

Slightly. I used the quick formula that amateur astronomers tend to use: AFOV = magnification x TFOV. The more exact formula yields 33.5 degrees.

Zoom opticals do tend to have rather narrower apparent field of view, and I expect generally at the low-magnification end.

But I do think 34 degrees is still pretty low. The narrower the field of view, the more panning as the object moves and the more difficult to find the object.

Compare the low-end Celestron 8-24mm zoom (the same 3X zoom range as this scope) astronomy eyepiece ($75) where the apparent field of view ranges from 40 to 60 degrees (presumably 40 being at the low-magnification 24mm end). I’ve considered buying an eyepiece of that sort, but 40 degrees is just too narrow for me, at least for astronomy.

I don’t know why on such an expensive spotting scope they couldn’t pop in a wider eyepiece, but then I’ve never used a spotting scope.

The much cheaper fixed-magnification Celestron 15x70 binoculars ($60 on Amazon) are advertised as having a 4.4 degree true field of view at the same magnification, which should make for almost twice as big an apparent field of view. (Great binoculars, by the way, except for some alignment issues–I had to exchange the initial pair.)

This isn’t a telescope. Nor is it a pair of binoculars. As mentioned in its title: it is a spotting scope.

It’s supposed to have a narrow field of view.

You set it down next to you on a tripod. You sight it in on a target 500 yards away. Before you shoot (open sights, none of that scope stuff) you look in it to read the wind and mirage down at the target. Then, after you take your shot, you look in it to see where you hit.

Binoculars tend to have twice as big a field of view…what with having TWO optical tubes and all ; -)

Seriously, though, I have bought several pairs of the same Celestron binoculars over the years, and they are far superior to something like this for astronomy.

You copied this from the “Spotting Scope Rulebook”, right? You won’t rat on me if I point mine at the sky, will you?

Even the firearms enthusiast buying this isn’t mounting it on a gun. It sits on the bench next to you at the range and you use it to determine hits/misses at the target that’s too far to see hits/misses on with the naked eye.

Yeah they were. Pretty interesting to say the least.

Hmmm, which response should I use?:

Mild teasing: It depends on what you’re shooting at the sky. DHS says if I see something I should say something.

Ominous: If you’re within 800 yards, I won’t need to rat on you. (Just don’t move quickly, it has a narrow field of view.)

Jerky McJerkface: Yeah! I will! I didn’t just copy the Spotting Scope Rulebook, I wrote it! I’m telling on you! MOM!!!

Laissez-faire libertarian: Once you buy it, you can point it at anything you want.

I’ll go with the last one, and I’ll leave my bathroom curtains open.

I thought so as well,next time we have to be less interesting I guess.

haha :frowning: I spent a whole 3 minutes searching for that info and it was just carelessly tossed out the window!

A rifle with a scope isn’t a sniper rifle. It is a rifle with a scope. A rifle in the hands of a sniper is a sniper rifle, though there really is no such thing as a sniper rifle.

Hey, either I missed it or it hasn’t been mentioned.

What’s the max range for these as far as seeing a bullet hole in a target?

300?400??500??? meters maybe?

Anyone know?

Duhg

This might work:
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/accessories/tools-and-accessories/digital-camera-spotting-scope-adapter/

China?
This scope is made in China?
Already bought it, so it’s too late, but how did you determine that?
Boy, am I bummed…

Leupold website. Considering what it costs to buy an American made Leupold Spotter there’s really no way it could be made here. I assume the glass is made in Japan, however. Which is fine as Leupold buys most of its glass from Japan.

My friendly Postal Service employee dropped mine off minutes ago. I’m still technically “at work” so I can’t give it a good test but so far I’m very happy. The scope has a bit of weight to it but it’s not a lead weight. It’s average size for a scope in this class. Looking out through a screened window at a tree about 100 yards off I can see the edge contour on the leave, the leave stems and the wire that makes up the screen (which is hurting the overall clarity). Not a fair test.

The case is quite nice for trekking a bit but the shoulder strap length is far too short for a tall guy like myself to put over an opposite shoulder (eg. over left shoulder with right arm through the strap) for security. The shoulder pad is neoprene and quite nicely cushioned so I will try to lengthen the strap with some additional webbing. It could have used an accessory pocket or two but maybe I can sew those on as well.

I’ll try to take it to the lakefront (Milwaukee) this evening and give it a proper eye test.

The scope I received was defective out of the box. It would not focus on objects at the outer part of its range. I called their tech support and they said to send it in. It cost me $10 shipping to send it in to Leupold for repair. It took one week to get a bran new one sent back. Great scope and excellent customer service!

glad it all got resolved!