LG 65-Pint Dehumidifier

Sears recall LG made dehumidifier last year (its a re-brand from LG. the look is exact like this one) but I am not sure it has any shared parts inside or same design. It is loud, but get the job done.

Good luck!

One of these is humming away in my garage right now - it’s the 3rd one from my initial purchase - which came with a 3 or 5 year warranty (I honestly don’t recall)

When they work, they’re awesome. In the rainy season (March to November here in Ohio, then it turns to snow) it will fill the bucket in 12 hours in my garage.

The hose attachment is a tab of a PITA to get in place (it likes to fall out) but it works well enough.

They break after a year. Garbage compressor. LG is decent about sending a replacement under warranty (you give them a CC, they send you a new one and a return shipment slip) - but there’s no way in hell I’d buy one with only a 1 year window.

Hey Woot! - get ready for a LOT of returns…

Good Reviews, Large Size, Saw this model for $239.00 new, at a local store.

Can you hook a hose to this dehumidifier and run the hose to a drain?

I got a Frigidaire from Amazon just last month. I looked at Home Depot’s offerings and all had poor reviews. I have the unit in my unfinished basement and it fills its bucket pretty quick. I cut a short length out of an old garden hose to enable it to discharge directly into my sump pump’s pit. The fan is fairly loud which concurs with the general consensus of dehumidifier reviews, so keep that in mind if you want to place your’s in your living room. It also warmed up my basement noticeably, but the basement is still cooler than the rest of the house.

I had this bad boy for 1 year. It rattled like crazy, and then the hose drain stopped working.

Stay away. I’ve had a Soleus for over a year now. Very quiet and very effective. I like LG, but not this one.

Here is a dehumidifier chart to determine the proper capacity you’ll need.

You can use this in a home with central air without difficulty. When the central air needs replacing, buy a smaller unit. I had to set my old central air at 68 for the house to be comfortable. Then the compressor was hit by lightening and I needed a new unit as the old one was no longer made and no parts were available. The contractor I used was great and told me I should get a smaller unit as it would be more comfortable and cost less in electricity. He explained my unit had been so powerful it cooled the house before it was dehumidified. A smaller unit (by one ton) would take longer to cool a hot house but would be more comfortable to live in and would use less power. I am (10 years later) delighted to keep my house at a very comfortable 74 degrees rather than the previous 68 and spend less on electricity. My insurance company insisted they would have to have the repair confirmed by “The underwriters” which could take two weeks. An hour later Aetna called back and said they would pay for the new unit. Why? I ask. Aetna replies “The underwriters say your contractor is the expert they use to confirm such claims.” Some days everything goes well :slight_smile:

I’ve owned this exact unit, purchased from Home Depot, and I don’t suggest buying it. It does a great job extracting moisture when it works, but after about 3 months it started to shut-off due to a full bucket when the bucket was only half full or less. It now doesn’t turn on at all…

As several people replied, yes you can. I live in FL (very hot / humid in summer).

I installed a completely new air conditioner setup a couple of years ago and it doesn’t run long enough sometimes to pull out all the humidity necessary. Extremely energy efficient, but cools too fast. I had the blower speed decreased and that helped some but not enough.

I finally purchased a dehumidifer. Once a week or so, I run it during the day when we are at work. Our programmable thermostat is set not try to keep the house as cool during those times, so it is less of a competition. Also, the dehumdifier is in the furthest room possible from the air conditioner intake.

Not saying buy this model, since I have no experience with it. But consider changing your blower speed and/or puchasing a dehumidifer with a good rating.

So I just read the Woot warranty and it says that you have to ship it back at your expense in the event of a warranty problem. That’s going to cost a fortune!

Use your warranty - you’ll get a replacement.

One thing to add: If you’re not familiar with dehumidifiers, don’t confuse “65 Pints” with the storage capacity of the unit. Although the unit may pull 65 pints out of the air each day, the unit has the capacity to hold only 21 pints. That’s still more than 2.5 gallons at a time, but if you have a very humid room and don’t have the drainage hose installed, plan on emptying the unit once or more per day.

For the prepper crowd…
A Dehu is also a WATER GENERATOR.
But yes, it takes electricity to run.

I had an LG model for almost 6 years (total). original unit died 1 year into the 5 year warranty, the replacement lived for about 5 years, just outside the warranty. purchased a different name brand at lowes with an additional 4 year service plan. I believe this is my 6th dehumidifier.

in short - buying a new unit is bad enough - not sure how a refurbished unit would hold up.

The secret to keeping a dehumidifier - is to run it periodically through the winter months. the secret to the secret is to remember to run it periodically.

I have the LD650EAL (previous model to this one) for about 3 years now and haven’t had any trouble with it (knock on wood). I picked up the hose line attachment at Sears recently for about $6 as the bucket is filling up every 48 hours when set to 50% humidity. The attachment part# 5214A20027B
It does a pretty good job of keeping my basement dry-ish.

I bought one of these a couple of years back and it had a five year warranty. After the first season the coils sprung a leak and it lost all it’s freon. I had to take it to a repair guy who told me that it couldn’t be repaired. He called LG and I got a new one. He told me that the coils on these are total junk and you will be lucky to get one year out of it before it breaks. It’s interesting that LG a few months later dropped the warranty on these from five years to one year.

The good news is my second one hasn’t broken yet, but I haven’t been using it very much lately either.

My two cents are it doesn’t pay to buy a cheap dehumidifier unless you are willing to throw it out each year and buy a new one.

buy some for the moisture farm, Uncle Owen will be pleased.

Awful, awful, awful. Actually the first thing we’ve bought from woot! that’s awful. First thing out of the box, one of the wheels fell off. The filter and drawer both got stuck. And then the thing didn’t even work - wouldn’t even get near the level of humidity we punched in, and kept saying “bucket full!” even though the bucket had about a 1/2-inch of water in it. We returned it.