LG DR787T DVD Recorder with HDMI, Upconversion and ATSC Tuner

Not a bad price or brand name… I’m in for one. Have been looking for a recorder to finally clear out my dvr. Thanks Woot. G-nite

Haha! This is something I say all the time too! Video on disc is dead as f-in dead!

NO, WHAT YOU SAW WAS THE NEW ONE FOR ONLY $10 DOLLARS MORE. WHY BUY REFURBISHED YOU MIGHT ASK IF IT’S ONLY A $10 DIFFERENCE? I AGREE. BUY NEW IN THIS CASE. A REFURB SHOULD COME WITH A SUBSTANTIAL SAVINGS.

I remember looking into LG as a company a few years back. Most people think they are Swedish or Norwegian or something.

Do you remember that cheap electronics manufacturer that was so pervasive back in the '70s and '80s? Gold Medal? Well, guess what their new name is? I think most of you know they’re South Korean.

Duh. It’s a DVD recorder.
It’s not a Blu-ray recorder. That would cost more like $400, not $90. Are you serious?

Can I connect my VCR with this and record tapes to DVD’s?

would like to hear the answer to this one I also have rotton comcast, thank you

I’m actually really interested in the “cable box” thing.

So if I have a TV with a hookup to digital cable (but no set-top box right now), this would allow me to view the digital cable? (Like I can use a cable menu?)

I’ve got Comcast. So, would this work with Comcast’s digital cable service, or is that scrambled?

Forgive my noobness.

Only if you have Digital STARTER…(Basic with a $2 box) If you actually get channels in the 100s and 200s you have Digital Preferred, which is encrypted, and needs a box or a cablecard to decrypt. No You will not get OnDemand or the menus or PPV or anything like that through this (Although in some areas you can “eavesdrop” on your neighbor’s VoD streams…

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I work for Comcast…

The cheapest I found on line was $158.

LG means Lucky Goldstar.

Um, read about AVCHD before you reply. There are ways to record non-480p on DVD recordable media.

Seriously, folks. Google is your friend for nearly anything.

This is not a cable box. It will receive QAM digital cable channels (which may or may not be available in your area; most places send the local broadcast channels in QAM) and ATSC over-the-air. That’s it. I’m not sure why you even ask that question.

If your local channels broadcast program information, I presume it will display that (just like any TV that receives ATSC channels).

[QUOTE=Dorkmaster, post:20, topic:137212]
I’m actually really interested in the “cable box” thing.

So if I have a TV with a hookup to digital cable (but no set-top box right now), this would allow me to view the digital cable? (Like I can use a cable menu?)

I’ve got Comcast. So, would this work with Comcast’s digital cable service, or is that scrambled?

Forgive my noobness. :)[/quote

It will only work with the lower 99 or so channels. None of the premium.

You sir, are right… I stand corrected. It’s not Gold Medal. It’s Goldstar.

Gotta love the big “REFURBISHED” sticker on the back…

While it is true that some manufacturers are dumping HD-DVD players by rebranding them as upscaling DVD players, upconversion is not synonymous with HD-DVD. Upconversion is a technique, HD-DVD is a format. Most upconverting DVD players are not HD-DVD players.

The only reason some manufacturers are selling HD-DVD players as DVD players that upconvert, is because once the HD-DVD feature became worthless, upconversion was the only feature left that was interesting enough to set apart those players from normal players and get them sold, instead of having them go straight to the landfill.

THis is a MUST for a HDTV… i have one and i love it!!!

yes to $5 shipping

This is not an AVCHD recorder either.

That costs even more money.

This is $90, people.

Here’s a good thread on this unit from AVS Forum. Opinions are mixed, and maybe a bit on the negative side. But still, for this price I’m tempted.

Yup! Lucky Goldstar! And I remember buying a cheap cheap microwave made by them for like $30 at Walmart back in the day. Who would have thunk it! :slight_smile: BTW: Gold Medal is a brand of All Purpose flour I think! :stuck_out_tongue: Maybe Woot can throw-in a bag of that with this deal for those of us who might want to bake some cookies to eat while watching our up-converted DVDs! :wink: