LG Nexus 5 32GB Unlocked GSM LTE Smartphone

You should be able to just apply over the air updates without any fuss.

I haven’t used this phone in sometime, i’m on a 5X now, but I had no issues with GPS.

It’s quite possible that it ships with an older version of the operating system, but when you turn it on, it will immediately download the latest 6.0.1 and install it. That’s the way all Nexus devices have always worked. (and yes, I’ve had all of them including this N5). As far as GPS is concerned, it works quite well and has no problems with holding a lock. My current daily driver is a Nexus 6, but I used the Nexus 5 for a couple of years before that and never had any problems with Google Maps or Waze GPS navigation on it.

Nope. No SD Card slot. A real bummer. I would totally buy this and use as an iPod if it had a SD card slot.

Does anybody have any feedback on using this with Google’s Project Fi?

I still use my OG N5 every day. The GPS is almost perfect (every once in a while it takes 2-3 seconds to notice I took an off-ramp) but the compass is terrible. Otherwise, it’s basically still a great phone. Display looks good, runs smooth despite the aging CPU, still gets OS updates before everybody else. Wouldn’t hurt to have a little extra storage but 32GB is enough if you use cloud services for photo backup, music storage, etc.

It will work on AT&T and T-Mobile, but no band 12 LTE support for T-Mobile.

You probably don’t want this for Fi. People are able to use it for Fi but you have to set Fi up on a newer model phone like the 6 or 6p or 5x and then transfer the little card out of the phone to the 5 and even then it doesn’t transfer to and from T-mobile to sprint automatically during a call.

It is an easy google to get messages from people who have done this.

There has been a deal for a 5x for 199 through Fi which might be a better deal or wait until closer to the new models coming out and get the discontinued ones that are approved Fi devices.

The Nexus 5 has 4G LTE bands 25, 26, & 41 for the Sprint Spark tri-band network.

FreedomPop phones use the Sprint network. The FreedomPop Nexus 5 phone I bought from Woot last summer 2015 works fine on the Sprint Spark tri-band network.

My 1st new Nexus 5 I bought from the Google Play Store in Nov. 2013 when the phone was released runs fine in my area on the AT&T network using LTE band 17.

LG Nexus 5 Specs

4G bands - LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 17(700), 19(800), 25(1900), 26(850), 41(2500) - North America

Android OS, v5.0 (Lollipop), upgradable to v6.0 (Marshmallow)

:slight_smile:

Does anyone know if this would work with Project Fi??

This will not work with project Fi. You would need a nexus 6 or Nexus 5x or 6p to use project Fi.

If it really is the North American version like they say then it will work with Sprint and all of their MVNOs too.

Can it be used in the UK or countries in Europe?

IS it NEW or a Refurb?? It says NEW, but where are they getting 2 year old NEW Phones?

Ting is the best - I use Ting as well, it really is the greatest mobile phone service provider. But they also support GSM now - they’re unique (to my knowledge) in being a dual-mode MVNO, through Sprint and (I believe) T-Mobile. Though they only added that about a year ago, so I suppose if you’ve been using them with this phone for longer than that, that does prove that at least your model is dual-mode, which doesn’t mean that this one is. :stuck_out_tongue:

And yep - I’ve had experience with exactly that in the past, since Ting is primarily a BYOD provider and hasn’t always been dual-mode (and even now, if you want LTE, you have to check whether a phone supports the right bands.) So yeah, I googled, and if this is GSM-only, I’m guessing it’s probably the European model, D821, which it looks like only has GSM (unlike the American model, which has both).

The Nexus phones pretty much update themselves. You get a notification that the update is available and you click “update”. Hint - be on wifi and plugged in.

I was very happy with my Nexus 5, GPS was strong everywhere I went so Waze was able to show me the Waze.

If I hadn’t dropped my phone once too often, I’d still have my 5. Now I have 5x, which is even better.

Good phone good price. The 5x is only $200 when you sign up for Google Fi service and I think well worth the extra $50. Especially because this phone will not work with Google Fi which will probably save you that $50 in the first year.

dont know. i used mine on sprint. when i got the nexus 6 i unlocked it and my niece is currently using it on t-mobile

The reason it is probably being listed as GSM is only because even though all North American Nexus 5’s have the same hardware/radios and CDMA/GSM it does not mean it will work on Sprint/Sprint MVNO’s. It actually will depend on if these specific devices are whitelisted by Sprint to be used. If they were directly from Google then they would be but some others are not. If I remember correctly Ting said at the time to buy from Google only to be sure of being whitelisted. So many places list as GSM only just to be safe.

As for updates I just got the latest May update from Google this morning on my Nexus 5. It is actually ahead of my Nexus 5X on updates at the moment.

Google Fi is worth it if you have good reception with Sprint or T-Mobile. But I agree, I love Fi. The only places I have issues are in areas that only get decent signal with, say, Verizon.

As far as the phone being offered: I had the Nexus 5 and absolutely loved it (on Tmobile). I would probably still have it had I not dropped it and cracked the screen to the point of it being unusable.

I am curious about this too. New [old] stock doesn’t usually last too long and is sold quickly at a discount once the next generation product offering is announced.