Life + Gear 300 Lumen Flashlight 2-Pack

As mentioned already, most Lumen claims are wildly inflated. They usually say something like “300 Lumen LED,” and when you look, the LED is rated for 300 lumens, but at 5 volts, while the light in question runs it at 1.5 or 3 or 4.5 volts, which necessarily produce far less light.

Some high-end flashlights do have voltage converters, so they can run at a higher voltage with a single AA, but that’s not so common at or near this price point.

So, does anyone know how many lumens this thing actually puts out? Inquiring minds want to know!

3AAA = NO DEAL
Rechargeable Li-ion like 14500 or 18650 is the only way to go.

For those of you truly interested in good flashlights, I recommend spending some time on www.candlepowerforums.com. You will eventually learn what makes a good flashlight (lumen output is WAY down on the list!). Reliability is probably the most important factor, and is determined by things like good heatsinking, quality connections, square threads, etc. It is relatively easy to build a high-output flashlight cheaply, not-so-easy to build a reliable flashlight.

It would be much nicer if the low setting on these flashlights was closer to 20 lumens, which is all the light you would probably need for 95% of your needs. Many flashlight experts prefer even much lower outputs (less than 1 lumen), as it helps preserve your night vision.

Me? I like Zebralights and Fenix lights. YMMV

YEP YOU ARE CORRECT!

I have owned several of the Life Gear flashlights (the one AA battery model) and the switch on ALL of them eventually stops working. I think the $3.55 flashlight is a much better deal, but its switch will wear out too but at least you’re only out $3.55.

Not a good thing to backpack 7 miles into the wilderness and then find out your flashlight will just randomly flicker.

A few years ago I went into Target and purchased a lot of nice crafted metal flashlights (which included Life Gear) and one cheap Energizer plastic flashlight with a mechanical slide switch. The Energizer had by far the lowest lumens, cheapest LED (not a Cree) and by far the most inexpensive feel to it. Here it is years later and all the others are long since trashed, yet the cheap plastic Energizer still works perfectly.

I never knew there was such a thing as flashlight snobbery. This thread taught me something new.

I have 2 Lifegear flashlights, not the same model, but smaller and purchased from Safeway for $5. Initial quality looks good, much better then the really cheap ones you get from HF, etc. But it didn’t take long for one to start flickering, and turn it self on just being jostled around. Its pretty much unusable, but the other one works great.

Eh, I’ll just quote:

It doesn’t matter for everyone, but it is a real and important concern for some people.

You didn’t know? Psssh. Luddite.

I love a good flashlight, but this is not a Woot-worthy deal. I’ve been buying the aluminum-body Cree 7W 300LM 3-mode (low/high/strobe) LED flashlights from Amazon. For three bucks - shipped - the value is incredible. They’d be perfect if the lens was glass, but for three bucks, it’s a stellar deal.

Like many items on Amazon, this item is branded multiple ways and available from tons of sellers. I have ten more coming my way…it’s an awesome light for the money. I imagine there will be eye-rolling on Christmas as people open their gifts from me… “oh, thanks! A flashlight eyeroll

To be fair, if you ever get stuck on the side of the interstate and happen to have two flash lights, you can use one to see what you’re doing and put down the other one somewhere close so passing cars wont hit you.

It’s also a good attention getter if you are separated from someone else by a vast distance (say, you split up while hunting for some stupid reason, and there’s a big valley in between you and the other person) and want them to figure out your general location. As long as it’s pointed close to the right direction, they should be able to see it.

Just rec’d my Life Gear flashlights. How do I get a battery into the white plastic case that holds it? What kind of bulb do I buy?
Shouldn’t these flashlights at least come with the lightbulb?

Yes, it should come with a bulb.

Please email support@woot.com for assistance. Include your Woot username and order number for faster service.

TOUGH LITTLE BUGGERS! So i drive semis and a may have set a loaded trailer on one of thease lights yesterday. Ok it was not fully on the light but it had a few thousend pounds on it. Any how it some how came away nearly undamaged. A smlight bend and a few scuff marks are all it suffered. I did the same thing to a mini mag and it was trash. So if you need a tough light this is one to get.