Lifesmart 8 Element Infrared Heater

This will actually work better on the floor. There is an air filter to filter out dust in the air

See if some of this helps. I’ve used a 1000w in a office/work area with mediocre insulation for 3 seasons. Was concerned about dirt before this season started, opened it up to clean it, but was clean.
So far this mild winter, it is my only heat in a 15x45 area. I come in to a 50 degree temp in the morning, turn it on at 60% and temp is up to 60 by noon. As the winter progresses I will light the propane furnace, set it at 50 and continue with the electric heater the same.
Got interrupted. Using any heat source with volatile vapors present should be a concern, but this should be reasonable. With a single layer of tin and no ceiling/attic you will be standing beside the heater to stay warm.

I took advantage of the previous Woot for the 6 element http://www.woot.com/offers/lifezone-pro-6-element-1500w-infrared-heater to warm the upstairs bedroom of my bungalow here in Michigan. Typically, these spaces are a challenge to condition with the central heating/cooling system due to the proximity of ceiling to roof (no big dead attic space chock full of insulation above)… I set the furnace back at night; seeing how it’s either just me, or me and the girlfriend, there’s no reason to be running the furnace keeping the entire house at 70 when I’m only in the upstairs.
It is a nice looking little piece of furniture, and heats the space very well with the ceiling fan on low to push the heat down, without putting my electric bill through the roof. The fan could be quieter, but I like a bit of white noise while I sleep. The only complaint I have with mine is that I could read by the light from the display! I had to tape a couple 3X5 cards over it, and I can still read the temperature setting from across the room, I don’t know if they’ve addressed this. It’s kept the bedroom perfectly comfortable through the last frigid winter, and this season so far; I’m very pleased with it.

I have three units very similar to this that I purchased from Woot this fall. Very heavy built, quiet. Overall I am very satisfied. But, after a power flicker they do not come back on automatically. Also they reset to default, forgetting what ever temp and power setting you may have set up.

Unless you can figure a way around this they would not work very well for unattended freeze protection as a power flicker shuts them off.

If still under warranty call life smart and have all model and serial numbers ready when you do.If it isn’t it could be the heating element 1 of our small ones while in warranty that did not want to stay on very long as well.And they mailed us the heating element with step by step instructions on how to install it.Have had no other issue with the smaller one after we put it in. This was the first step with the 8 element they did.And after installed it.Still would not run that was when they wanted pictures of the wiring on unit.

Why would it matter? 4000 watts will heat up an area much quicker than 1500w which would still use the same amount of energy in the end (for resistive heating).

Also, if your ductwork is in the building envelope the heat loss through ducts won’t matter as it’s still in your living space. However, the energy used for the blower fan should be counted against efficiency.

Consider oil-filled heaters that look like radiators. No fan intake to clog, etc.

You are correct. All electric heaters are equally efficient. A cheap $15 1,500 Watt heater from your local box store will be exactly as efficient as a $300 fancy quartz/infrared/copper/whatever 1,500 Watt heater. The difference is only marketing. All 1,500 watts will be converted into heat in either case. One will not make more heat than the other.

Inefficiency comes from the energy input being converted to heat instead of work. In the case of a heater you want the heat. There is no waste heat in the case of an electric heater. All the energy goes into producing heat. Any claims of greater efficiency of one electric heater over any other is pure marketing BS.

When you see a claim like that ask yourself, where is the waste energy of the competitor’s product going?

Let’s be a little more specific instead: Average cost for residential electricity in the US: 13.06/kwh * 1.5 = 19.59 cents/hr operating cost.

10hrs/day, 7 days wk = $13.71/wk. About $55/mo if you ran it 10hrs/day 7 days a week AND it never shut off (100% duty cycle) - hopefully you’re better insulated than that. :wink:

woot! siphons it off to power the snail they employ to deliver it.

Srsly.

That goes against the laws of physics. There is no magic to electric heaters. All energy put in is converted to heat. Both heaters could heat the room but the 1,500W heater would have to run twice as long as the 3,000W baseboard heater.

Again, where do you think the lost energy is going? If the ducts are in the house then the energy lost in the ducts still benefits the house. If it is in the fan moving the air then the energy is still within the home. Only if the energy is escaping the house is the efficiency compromised.

Cost wise, yes, a portable space heater can save money by heating only the room you are in while the rest of the home is kept much cooler. But don’t go putting space heaters in every room thinking you are going to be more efficient. Better to close the vents to the rooms you don’t need heated.

And remember, all 1,500W heaters make the same amount of heat - just ignore all the marketing claims.

Oil-filled heaters do not seem to work at all. I’ve found those cannot heat faster than the surrounding air is cooling. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I appreciate the response and will take this into consideration.

Just received my Lifesmart 8 and what a disappointment. The unit doesn’t really get hot! I have a small 240 square foot building, all insulated, and this unit will never be able to heat this space. I also tried preheating this room with my propane heater but the Lifesmart 8 couldn’t maintain a comfort level. After I read all of the mostly positive reviews, I was convinced this was a good buy-boy was I wrong.
Mine definitely doesn’t glow red like the picture shown.

Mine arrived and wont power on. Sending back.

Anyone else having issues?