Linksys Dual-Band N Bridge

So happy to hear that! I didn’t look it up when I saw it. I thought it was a wireless extender and not an adapter. Good to know that it can be used for both.

To use it as a wifi extender, it needs a physical connection FROM your router. It will then broadcast the same wifi signal that your router is using. Imagine this device as a “second wireless router”

The farther you can get this away from the original router, the
larger the wifi signal will be.

In your case, you will plug your PS3 via ethernet into this device and move the Bridge to a better location. It will then connect to your router via wirelessly.

I just checked mine to make sure.
It is NOT an access point, it only functions as a wireless client.
So unless there’s some hacked or third party firmware for it that adds AP ability, it is not a wireless range extender in the common sense (wired connection to a distant AP to extend wireless coverage).

I’m on firmware Ver.1.0.05 (Build 4) from 08/12/2011 which is the newest on the Cisco/Linksys site.

I have a Cisco E4200 upstairs plugged into my structured wiring closet. I have a few ethernet ports downstairs and will plug this bridge into it. I’m gonna have a nice, fast wifi network both upstairs and downstairs.

If I couldn’t use this as an extender, I was going to plug my Cisco SE2800 into the bridge and get interwebs to my AV gear.

Well, poo. Guess I’ll have to find another use for it.

That’ll work fine, but keep in mind that the Ethernet port on the bridge is only 10/100, so if you have bandwidth-hungry devices you might consider getting more than one bridge, which is quite feasible at this price.

I am starting to wonder if I screwed up by purchasing this. I thought I was buying a router, this doesn’t function that way does it?

GREAT.

No, this is not a router at all. Cancel your order right meow.

Now you’re talking woot. Finally a deal almost worthy of the woot of old. Half the price of anywhere else or competitive products, and NEW not refurb.

For those who don’t know, this can be used to convert most wired items to connect to your wireless networks. e.g. a wired only bluray player or TV with apps can plug into this and it will be on your network. Basically creates the wireless “bridge” between your wired item and your router.

Other uses are older fat xbox 360s without wireless built-in, cctv surveillance systems, wired network printers,… almost any wired network device.

Well, I can run cat6 to my S2800 so I can get the gbps, and I also just bought a real wireless ap extender.

Cisco RE1000 (refurb)

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Refurbished-RE1000-Wireless-N-Extender/dp/B0077BB3VA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356596140&sr=8-1&keywords=re1000

Only 40 bucks. We shall see how well it works.

I’ll think of another use for the bridge or maybe just cancel my order… :frowning:

If you have a “wireless ready” device and the dongle is no longer available and they want 90 bucks for it anyway… this gets you there.

So, if my router is upstairs, but I have a printer downstairs that isn’t wireless (wired only), this would enable said printer to be on my wireless system to print from anywhere?

I need a SIMPLE answer. :frowning:
So…I’m so confused. :(. I have ONE desktop that is an ancient (but loved,) original eMac, (like 12 years old now?) hooked to the Cisco Linksys Router (N?) at the end if the house, in the office. Everything else we own is portable (laptop, iPad, iTouch,) so no need to chain them down to a wired thing, but the bedroom is at the direct opposite end of the house, so USING the iPad or laptop in here makes it on the weakest bar 1/3 on my iPad,) and watching a YouTube video, (or ANYTHING “streaming”) is practically impossible without going to another room, or using an app to download it all the way first, and play it back later, (which may take a few hours for a 15-20 minute craft video, etc.). If you have a router hooked to a computer, then is this (or ANYTHING OUT THERE,) capable of being plugged into just a power outlet in another room, and making the router signal stronger for WIRELESS things in those rooms, or would it have to be wired to the original router or device that isn’t wireless to use it?
Maybe my Internet just is too low of “high speed” to reach or “stream” ? :frowning:
I’m terrible with technical stuff. :frowning:

If by wired, you mean network cable wired, and not just usb or something else that only connects directly to a computer, then yes, your printer can get on your network with this, but you would still need to set up this device for your network and find the printer on your network from your other devices.

This wouldnt work as a signal extender for you per se, however in your case you COULD use this device to better your own situation. The idea is, if you can move closer to the router and have better streaming performance, then your internet is fine for what youre doing, your router just isnt strong enough to get the signal to your house.

If the old eMac is the only device that you need to be connected via ethernet, why not simply move your internet modem and router into a different room of the house, then buy this thing, configure it, and use it to turn the old eMac into a wireless device.

Thats really the only way I could imagine this would help your situation.

If moving the modem and router to a different room isnt feasible, and you know a good “geek” or “nerd” in your life, you could see if your Cisco/Linksys router you already own is compatible with DDWRT firwmare. If it is, you can turn the wireless broadcasting power up on the router so it goes farther.

Good luck.

Sounds like the product you want is a wireless range extender. It would be placed somewhere between your furthest spot and your router, grab the wireless signal and amplify it farther into your house to reach your bedroom.

This does not do that, as far as I can see.

But what you could do with this is move your wireless router somewhere in the middle of your house (if you have an internet source there), and then plug this item into the ethernet port of your old imac, essentially making it wireless, and possibly making your current wireless signal spread more evenly through the house.

Okay. Thank you!!! That’s all I needed to hear. I don’t understand the numbers and ratios and just needed assurance this wasn’t what I wanted. :). Thanks!

Does the ORIGINAL ROUTER have to be plugged into a computer, or just the power and Internet? Everything else is portable, (laptop, tablet, iTouch,) so there’s nothing else for the original one to hook to except the desktop in the office room. :frowning:

Yes, network cable wired. I used to have it plugged into my wireless router downstairs for networking, but I moved the router upstairs where everything else in the house is. Sweet, now I’ll be able to print wirelessly again

I think people saying this can be used as an access point or range extender are confusing it for it’s counterpart, the Linksys WES610N.