Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch

http://www.wooters.us/images/wooters-logo-tiny.png Woot Info Post
wooters.us.is.in.ur.browser.show’n.U.stuff

Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch [Refurbished] - $9.99 + $5 shipping shipping

1 * Linksys BEFSR41-RM Etherfast Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch

This post is brought to you by Wooters.us, to help make sure pricing information on the product is available in the future. We are not run by nor affiliated with Woot.

Political commentary, on my Woot!?

<3

Product Website

3 stars at NewEgg

Review at speedguide

Another review at arstechnica

and one more at ModemHelp

Retrevo links

Mac download at cnet

Beware, this is NOT a wireless access point. Cabled ethernet only!

This is ancient junk. seriously, I have this router in my closet from some 8+ years ago when 802.11B was hot technology.

Well. It’s not wireless just in case that’s not obvious. So that’s no fun.

Although as a side note if you DO have extra wireless ones and happen to live in a dorm or apartment complex or next to a hotel:

Don’t encrypt them, don’t change the name from LinkSys…and don’t connect them to the Internet. Plug them into the wall and when people search for wireless networks, these will look exactly like unprotected network connections available for anyone who wants to connect to the free internet.

Chuckle evilly to yourself about all the people who will try to connect to it for the to use your internet and spend the next 30 minutes or so trying to figure out why they have a good connection to the router, but still can’t get to google or facebook…

Even more fun if you monitor the traffic on the router. Let’s you know how well the evilness is working…I used to live next to a hotel, and sometimes I’d get what looked like about 5-15 confused people a day.

Eh, it can’t do dd-wrt. I’d buy it if it could.

video review

Linksys BEFSR41 Router Disassembly

Here’s the new version at newegg, more reviews.

As thatdog pointed out, this is NOT a wireless router!

Had one for…gosh, six years. It started dying/having to be restarted at the end of its life, which was a big downer. Would be great for LAN parties, etc. where maybe just a cheap DHCP server is needed.

Yes - a newer model - BEFSR81. The Woot is for BEFSR41.

6 years is a pretty good life - needing ever-more-frequent restarts is typical.

Actually, it’s just a model with 8 LAN ports instead of 4.
Fixed the link for BEFSR41. Still 3 eggs though.

If this sells out, it’s the same price ($9.99 + $5 shipping) at CircuitCity.com.

And if CircuitCity.com charges you sales tax, TigerDirect.com probably doesn’t (and vice-versa).

Here’s the support page

and the manual.