Linksys Media Hub Home Entertainment Storage

So it’s basically an (expensive) cheap hard drive

Looks like you have to add your own hard drives… * sigh * Pass…

This doesn’t appear to come with drives, so factor the price of those into this equation.

When I researched home media storage, I was not impressed with this device. Instead, opt for a IOMega home media drive:

http://go.iomega.com/en-us/products/network-storage-desktop/home-network-hard-drives/home-media/

You can score these for around $119 street for the 1TB version. They work and play well on your network, and are more than capable of streaming multiple 1080P streams to separate devices.

What is the purpose of this item if it does not have harddrive?.

Oh god! Additional Photos has no links!!! Oh god, where are they woot???!!?!?!

If I cannot see the “Network Cable and Power Cord” or “Packaging” what am I supposed to do here?

holy crap I just found out there is a woot off going on

my woot tracker isn’t working so I didn’t know!

OW MY BALLS

http://reviews.cnet.com/network-storage/linksys-media-hub-home/4852-3382_7-33512247.html?tag=mncolBtm;rnav

Looks like it doesn’t have any storage of it’s own, but you can add external or internal hard drives, so it’s basically NAS?

it’s cute.

Dealer specs indicate it comes with a 500 gb hard drive, but the description here indicates no hard drive? I want this, but need to know hard drive/no hard drive

mines not working either.
but im indifferent about it.
do i still get the kick? :slight_smile:

I didn’t know they pulled those Hitler videos - those were pure genius. The best was when he called something a “shitburger”.

This thing is pretty much a case with connections to computer/wifi. There is no inherent storage, you have to provide the HDDs.

http://reviews.cnet.com/network-storage/linksys-media-hub-home/4505-3382_7-33785766.html?tag=mncol;lst

This is a naked media server. 2 SATA drives can be stuck in to provide storage capability. I can do everything this thing does with my generic desktop computer and some specialized software.

Pass.

It does not come with any storage, you provide it:

Found on CNET: http://reviews.cnet.com/network-storage/linksys-media-hub-home/4864-3382_7-33512247-1.html?tag=userReviews;summaryList

Pros: - easy setup

• large HD (1TB)
  • small attractive design
  • serves media to my PC, Mac, Linux, and Xbox360
  • RAID capability for saving you from HD failure
  • easily expandable

Cons: - advanced administration still Windows only

• setting up RAID after the fact will wipe all data on server so back it up first
  • I was unable to move files from USB HD to server, had to do it over network even though it was directly connected via USB

Summary: Overall I’m quite pleased with this as a media server solution on my network. I’m able to easily browse all of my media from my PC’s, Mac’s, Linux boxes, and XBox360 with little or no setup (depending on OS, the 360 and Mac just show up automatically which rocks!). The ability to use this for networked backups is also a big plus but right now it only works for Windows (Time Machine support is supposedly in the works).

The options to expand by adding another hard drive is great. Super easy to do. The only issue is that if you add another hard drive after the fact and decide to check the “RAID” option it erases both drives so if you had any data on there already you have to back it up, let the device configure RAID, then add all your data back. I had a ton of data already on there so this was a good 2 days worth of moving files move back and forth.

I had issues with using an external USB drive plugged directly into the device. I was able to see the drive fine and access all the files on all of my devices however could not import them. I ended up having to just transfer the files over my network from the USB drive to the server which was a hassle because it’s MUCH slower than the USB2 connection. Not sure if that was a result of the external drive being formatted in Apple Journalised format or not…unable to confirm that.

Overall I highly recommend this as an easy to install and configure media server option. Just plug it into your router and start moving over files…it’s just about that simple. I couldn’t build a bare bones 2tb server with Windows Server on it for anywhere near the $429 this thing goes for.

nice in size…the unfortunate thing is , it’s basically a case-as there is no HD and no OS included. Also there is no bay to add an internal Blue Ray or DVD.

That’s how I’m reading, but then why call it “Storage”? It should just be called “a box to hold storage”, then. I was hoping to find that it had some base storage capacity based on the name of the item.

It was your own fault.